Game Mechanics Set Bonuses We Need

Aceplante

Official Terrarian
Boulder Armor that decreases jump height, but is incredibly tanky for an early game armor set. Also makes you fall faster but take increased fall damage

A cloud set that gives you extra jumps. Craftable early game?

A space set with built in rocket boot thrusters. Later game but crafted from rocket boots?

A sci-fi set with "shields" that reduce all damage taken by 30%, before applying defense. This would serve as a constant in-between of turtle (15%) and beetle (45% but decreasing to 0%). Dropped by martians?

Reduced damage from lava (like the obsidian rose) preferably on the molten set.

A zombie general set that increases enemy spawn rate. I want to bring this effect with me, but candles currently cannot be equipped.

Endgame Robes that boost raw max mana and decrease usage rate, but have no damage bonus. This allows you to potentially not need to use mana potions, avoiding the mana sickness debuff and making up for the lack of damage bonus. Crafted from ancient fragments.

May add more later. Other suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
And why would anyone want armor that increases mana, but doesn't give a damage bonus?
Silly setups that are useless but look funny, that's why. (I love doing stupid things like that, personally, it's just funny to have useless setups that are completely ridiculous and sometimes they work out.)

Some of these already exist. "Shields" exist on the Turtle and Beetle armor sets, and the Ash Wood set reduces lava damage. You can also get a water candle or Battle Potion for increased enemy spawns. And why would anyone want armor that increases mana, but doesn't give a damage bonus?
The turtle set has a thorns effect (for some reason) and the beetle set is really good for the first two hits, but then stops working after that. Also, the turtle is only 15%, and the beetle goes from 45, to 30, to 15, to 0. This would serve as a constant in-between, which I think could be really good.

I thought ash wood was a secret seed, I dont have it in my world. I would still love to see it on molten armor.

Water candles currently cannot be equipped, and placing them only effects a certain area. And holding it means I cant use a weapon. Still, this would be a cool set bonus.

This armor would be the best for raw mana. With extra base mana, and decreased usage rate (and maybe faster regen), it allows you to avoid having to use mana potions and subsequently the mana sickness effect that tanks your dps. Hence why no damage bonus is needed.

Would you mind crediting me and linking the OP?
yes I would mind. This set bonus was my idea, not yours. I would appreciate if you could delete your advertising from my post.

This armor would be the best for raw mana. With extra base mana, and decreased usage rate (and maybe faster regen), it allows you to avoid having to use mana potions and subsequently the mana sickness effect that tanks your dps. Hence why no damage bonus is needed.
In hardmode, mana potions are only about a 10% loss in dps as long as you don't drink a mana potion while you still have potion sickness (which only 2 hardmode mage weapons consume mana fast enough to warrant - meteor staff and last prism). As a result, even if this armour set gave literally infinite mana (which it doesn't), it would only be around a 10% increase to damage. While that increase is multiplicative rather than additive, literally every other armour set is going to give more damage than that.

Regarding the last prism, mana potions are going to be a more significant dps loss for it, but having an armour set that gives you more mana isn't going to remedy that. Even if it did, I'd still rather have the nebula set (which already buffs mana regeneration), since 9 HP per second life regen and 71% extra damage is hard to beat.

In hardmode, mana potions are only about a 10% loss in dps as long as you don't drink a mana potion while you still have potion sickness (which only 2 hardmode mage weapons consume mana fast enough to warrant - meteor staff and last prism). As a result, even if this armour set gave literally infinite mana (which it doesn't), it would only be around a 10% increase to damage. While that increase is multiplicative rather than additive, literally every other armour set is going to give more damage than that.
Yeah, I don't get why magic needs another set, the best magic gear for ML and postgame are two of the best sets for that point in the game already, as well as just being a hard act to follow it just isn't very necessary.

Boulder Armor that decreases jump height, but is incredibly tanky for an early game armor set. Also makes you fall faster but take increased fall damage
Honestly, both thematically and gameplay-wise, Shackle should be this. Either way, it makes sense for this effect to be tied to a single accessory, otherwise people would just wear Mining Helmet on this and get the raw stats from the breastplate/leggings. Who needs a set bonus when the set bonus negatively affects you, right? You could make it so the pieces give no stats and it's all from the set bonus, but that's no fun.
A sci-fi set with "shields" that reduce all damage taken by 30%, before applying defense. This would serve as a constant in-between of turtle (15%) and beetle (45% but decreasing to 0%). Dropped by martians?
Sure. Non-melee tank armor would be nice. But DR has to be applied after defense. Current DR already applies after defense and is incredibly strong despite that. Also there doesn't need to be an in-between of 15% and 45%; 15% is already a lot, and 30% unconditional DR is actually better than what Solar Flare armor has. I'd make it 15% with a different stat focus.
A zombie general set that increases enemy spawn rate. I want to bring this effect with me, but candles currently cannot be equipped.
I remember proposing that the Flickerwick light pet could do this. It was a while ago though.
Endgame Robes that boost raw max mana and decrease usage rate, but have no damage bonus. This allows you to potentially not need to use mana potions, avoiding the mana sickness debuff and making up for the lack of damage bonus. Crafted from ancient fragments.
This could reduce mana usage to 0 and still be barely viable. I would rework it to increase mana usage, and reverse the effect of Mana Sickness, making it a sort of pay-to-win set that chugs potions to maintain damage bonuses. I don't know if it would be balanced or necessary, but it would be very funny.
Reduced damage from lava (like the obsidian rose) preferably on the molten set.
Makes sense.
A cloud set that gives you extra jumps. Craftable early game?
Earlygame, I think the intended design is for the player to find random double-jump bottles and stick them in an empty accessory slot (and since it's earlygame, there will be plenty of empty accessory slots). I like this design and don't see the need for an alternative.

Not really sure how I feel about all of these.
The cloud armor set had already been suggested, as pointed out.
The boulder armor is just the Stoned debuff but an armor so I don’t think is a good idea.
For the rocket and zombie, making an accessory into an armor piece might not work that well. The ideas are cool.
I won’t touch the Shield one just on account of the math involved.
The lava one I whole agree with, though I’m not sure there is currently a good way to add it due to the ashwood armor and obsidian rose+ already existing.
Umm… no I don’t think the robes will work at all. Mana caps at 400 no matter what, so this would just mix and match armor pieces with little or no benefit.

and the beetle goes from 45, to 30, to 15, to 0.
Beetle only does that if you get hit more than once in the span of three seconds, though. And as Hallowed Armor has demonstrated by completely negating damage in ten times the amount of time, that cooldown is really damn short for that much damage blocked.

I was going to suggest that the boulder armor would ignore wings/lucky horseshoe, but...
The boulder armor is just the Stoned debuff but an armor so I don’t think is a good idea.
...although that would make it even more like the Stoned debuff.

I was going to suggest that the boulder armor would ignore wings/lucky horseshoe, but...

...although that would make it even more like the Stoned debuff.
I am fine with it being negated by the lucky horshoe (but not wings because thats stupid). Its just a set of armor after all. As for being similar to the stoned debuff, why is that an issue?

I just think it would be cool to have a set that makes you fall faster like the slime mount, but on an armor set, and boulders made the most sense to me.

Last edited:
Dudes it ain't anyones idea

if its that serious get Copyright over it ;-;
I still came up with the original concept though.
The turtle set has a thorns effect (for some reason) and the beetle set is really good for the first two hits, but then stops working after that. Also, the turtle is only 15%, and the beetle goes from 45, to 30, to 15, to 0. This would serve as a constant in-between, which I think could be really good.

I thought ash wood was a secret seed, I dont have it in my world. I would still love to see it on molten armor.

Water candles currently cannot be equipped, and placing them only effects a certain area. And holding it means I cant use a weapon. Still, this would be a cool set bonus.

yes I would mind. This set bonus was my idea, not yours. I would appreciate if you could delete your advertising from my post.

I mean, when the post was made could be said that Seagull made it first, but its just an idea lol

Y'all don't own it ;-;

Dudes it ain't anyones idea

if its that serious get Copyright over it ;-;

I mean, when the post was made could be said that Seagull made it first, but its just an idea lol

Y'all don't own it ;-;
it was all just a culmination of random set bonus ideas. I dont care how theyre implemented. I would like to see a set that gives you extra jumps. I think clouds would make the most sense, but geez if he owns the general idea of a cloud set it can be something else. Again, the focus is the set bonus, relogic will decide how to implement them.

it was all just a culmination of random set bonus ideas. I dont care how theyre implemented. I would like to see a set that gives you extra jumps. I think clouds would make the most sense, but geez if he owns the general idea of a cloud set it can be something else. Again, the focus is the set bonus, relogic will decide how to implement them.
exactly, its ideas lol

who knows whether Red sees them or not, in the end, its just for fun :3

Back
Top Bottom