Story Tales of Terraria

...I would say something, but I'm not sure how clear it is based on where the story currently is (The answer is in the spoiler.)
The Guides are all the same.

I'm sorry but I don't think I'll be able to update anytime soon, unless I decide to have Hardmode shortened--I have the rest of the story planned, but the problem is getting there and I don't have any inspiration for that.

...I would say something, but I'm not sure how clear it is based on where the story currently is (The answer is in the spoiler.)
The Guides are all the same.

I'm not really sure that's a surprise to anyone at this point. I could be wrong.

I like the new chapter, I'm supposing we're nearing the climax?

I also have a good climax idea I'll put in this spoiler.
My idea is, the main group, or the Pancake Club, still liking that name, would be fighting something big and scary. Like chthulu or something. And then all the multiplayer people would suddenly show up in a desperate hour, and with their help, the giant monster would be defeated. Then maybe something could happen to bring the back to their world. I'm not sure, just an idea ~:happy:
As a side note, I'm glad people like Xorathor. He's kind of based off of me.

I'm not really sure that's a surprise to anyone at this point. I could be wrong.
I don't think it is either, but I'm the author, so I'm biased and I just want to be safe. XD
I like the new chapter, I'm supposing we're nearing the climax?
There will probably be at least three more chapters (not counting the next chapter), but yes, we're getting pretty close. I just have to figure out how I want to get the last of Dawn/Dusk's past in the story, and how I'm going to explain the rest of the details about Terraria. Other than that, I have most of it planned out.
I also have a good climax idea I'll put in this spoiler.
My idea is, the main group, or the Pancake Club, still liking that name, would be fighting something big and scary. Like chthulu or something. And then all the multiplayer people would suddenly show up in a desperate hour, and with their help, the giant monster would be defeated. Then maybe something could happen to bring the back to their world. I'm not sure, just an idea ~:happy:
I already know exactly how the Pancake Club and co. will come into the story actually, and I'm really looking forward to writing that climax. Thank you for the input though! :)
As a side note, I'm glad people like Xorathor. He's kind of based off of me.
He seems to be one of the most popular characters tbh xD Out of character feedback, I've heard the most about Dawn, Michael, and Xorathor. :p Maybe it's the maid apron //shot //runs

Last edited:
Eh, he seems more controlled than the (insane) person called Damion.
//shots fired *dies*
I think it kind of depends. Xorathor kind of has to control himself, whereas I think Damion relies on Odin's swag sometimes. EDIT: lmao "sometimes" sure //shot /EDIT OFF
Insane characters are always fun though. They have really interesting facial expressions. //shots continue to be fired
Insane villains are also the best imo, for numerous reasons. And then after that I think the Sephiroth-type villains are second best. //fanboys rage //shot

I think it kind of depends. Xorathor kind of has to control himself, whereas I think Damion relies on Odin's swag sometimes.
Insane characters are always fun though. They have really interesting facial expressions. //shots continue to be fired
Insane villains are also the best imo, for numerous reasons. And then after that I think the Sephiroth-type villains are second best. //fanboys rage //shot
If they weren't interesting than people wouldn't really make them. Al-*dies(again)*

I think Xorathor will also appear in my own fanfic. I was planning on this before, but now I'm making him more like this Xorathor, you know, more insane and basically more humorous. If I can pull it off, it should turn out great. I'm not even close to his appearance yet, though.

Next chapter. I think it's slightly shorter than the more recent chapters have been...
--Sixteen Days Without Her--
"I have an offer for you."
The Guide grinned. "Well then--let's make a deal. What do you want?"
"I want you to bring Dawn back."
"Try again. You know I can't do that."
"Drop the charade. I remembered."
Slowly, the Guide's grin turned into a shocked grimace, which from there turned grudging or spiteful. "Well then. Let's set things straight. Rule number one: the other three don't need to know."
"I wasn't planning on telling them."
"Rule number two: if you do anything wrong..." he jerked his finger across his throat, his grin returning. "I have the right to kill any one of you: whoever I want, whenever I want. PERMANENTLY. Are we clear? Crystal?"
"Yes."
"Good. Now then. What I want." he stood and began to pace. "I have several requests--human lives are worth a lot, and I will have to go through a lot to convince the Creator to bring her back."
"I'm not a fool. I know you're the Creator."
Again, the Guide froze. Then, he continued, saying, "Very well then. Let me rephrase that. I will have to go through a lot of trouble to bring her back, and I can't even guarantee it's possible."
"Go on."
His grin split his face yet again. "The rabbits."
"...What?"
"The rabbits. Everyone's always killing them. They swing their swords around carelessly, just to see their fur and limbs go flying. Flying, flying, flying--BIRDS FLY, NOT RABBITS!" he raged. "They're killing them! She loves them and they're killing HER BABIES!"
"Her what?"
"Her babies," he said, grabbing his own head with his hands. "Her children, her babies, she said she loves them. She said they're her favorite animal, the most adorable things ever, she LOVES THEM, she can't stand seeing them killed--STOP KILLING THEM!"
He waited for his anger to cool down before he asked, "...All I have to do is stop killing rabbits?"
The Guide burst into laughter, holding his sides. His laughter increased in volume and monotony, until he collapsed in a fit of coughing.
"I swear, it's like you laugh like that just because you can. Stop it," Dusk said under his breath as the Guide hit his chest a few times to clear it out.
He let out one last, weak laugh, then picked himself off of the floor. "...You seem to think I'm an idiot. NO, I want you to become their BODYGUARD. If you so much as see a rabbit die, and you don't try to save it--" he snapped his fingers in Dusk's face. "BAM. Punishment." He stepped back, walking in circles around him. "I'm not a cruel man. If a monster kills a bunny and you're out of range and can't do anything, then I'll be kind and say it isn't your fault. Bonus points if you somehow manage to save it anyway. Now. One other thing. The Corruption." He stopped and spun around to stare at him in the eyes.
Dusk simply raised an eyebrow--"Two deals? And why the Corruption?"
"I'm the one in charge now. No, I'm ALWAYS in charge. YOU LISTEN TO ME!" he exclaimed, spreading his arms out. He lowered his voice and said, "And if you aren't going to listen, then the deal is off." he paused. Then, in the same tone, "I know you're fond of the Corruption, in your sick, little, twisted way. Whatever you think it is, you are dead wrong. The Corruption is pure evil. Evil condensed into a small, purple, sickly little biome that tries to kill anything and everything that isn't the exact same as it is. So when some hero, some little justice-filled moron waltzes along and finally, FINALLY realizes how the hell they could kill it--do nothing. DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Or I kill her, and/or you. Got it? Do we have a deal?"
He repeated the offer mentally, ignoring the rest of his speech and insults for the time being. Save rabbits. Do nothing. Save rabbits. Do nothing.
He sighed slowly. "...I accept. When will she be back?"
The Guide's eyes narrowed, but he smiled. "We'll see. It depends on how well you prove to be as a bodyguard. Besides, it'll take me a while to figure out how to bring her back."
"...Tell me when you're ready, then."
"I will."

"So we've conquered the Hallow," Thalia said with a hint of pride. "Now we just need Adamantite."
"One, you HAVEN'T conquered the Hallow. There's still the Underground Hallow." The Guide said from the shadows. "Two, Adamantite spawns randomly. I recommend either the Underground Hallow or Hell's ceiling."
"We might as well get the Hallow over with," Dusk pointed out. "Then we won't have to go there ever again,"
The others nodded, even Thalia.
"We'll go in an hour."

Not saying anything was proving to be harder than he'd thought it'd be.
There's a chance to bring her back, yet they're so gloomy...
...I can't change that though, can I?

A bouncing green shape in the corner of his eye. He turned and saw a slime sneaking up on a rabbit.
In one swoop he slid forward and killed it.
"Dusk, stop wasting time. Don't kill the slimes," Dan called.
He wondered if it was a good idea to tell them about the rabbits--they didn't need to know everything...but it'd be best to stay silent.
He jogged up to them and kept following, constantly checking and watching.
Left, right, forward. Left, right, forward, protect. Left, right, forward, left, kill, right, left, kill, over and over--
"Dusk, why are you so slow today? Usually you're up front."
"I made a deal. I'm just upholding my end."
They stared at him briefly but didn't question it.

They reached the Underground Hallow disturbingly fast--Dusk decided he must've gotten lost in his own thoughts again.
Neon pink blurs sliced through him, tried digesting his face, and clawed at him.
He kept moving his arms in the same patterns of arcs and swipes, feeling strangely empty.
Do nothing?
Sick? Twisted?
...Do NOTHING?

The phrases and words were repeating, like a vague song that you play on loop, trying to understand its meaning.
...But do nothing to WHAT?
He'd never considered it before now, but could the Corruption actually be destroyed?
...How the hell would that happen?
And then the Guide wasn't exactly trustworthy...
The blur.
A psychotic grin and a stab of laser-hot pain.
The dark.

He blinked open his eyes, a really strong tickling feeling pestering him from the back of his throat.
As soon as he gave in and began coughing, he couldn't stop--his lungs kept rejecting air on their own, over and over until even his back was aching.
He groaned slightly and closed his eyes, hiding in the depths of the covers.
A pair of hands grabbed his shoulder and shook it back and forth.
He swore loudly--then, "Leave me alone!"
"You need to get up. Hurry before you get too far behind."
He peeked over the covers, already feeling revolted. "Oh. It's you," ...Creep, he added mentally.
He sat up, his head feeling heavy. He looked down and noticed blood splatters on the pillows. "I assume that's what I coughed up?" he asked hoarsely, rubbing his throat. "Your work's getting sloppier."
"I'm a little busy trying to revive a legitimately dead person--I don't need distractions. So I'm sorry if your revivals are slightly rushed." he said icily.
"So I take it there's nothing new?"
The Guide glared at him. "That's none of your business."
He got up to leave--Dusk raised his voice.
"Wait--how could the Corruption be destroyed?"
Stop. "Well, what is the Corruption?"
"You tell me."
"Ah. I see," the Guide said, the corners of his mouth twitching upwards. "You don't remember, do you? You'll find out, one way or another."
He walked off.
Dusk coughed one last time and went to see the Nurse.

When he reached the Hallow, he realized he had no idea what paths they'd taken or even what cave they were in.
He wandered around, but he still didn't know.
He turned on the Chat Box. "I can't find you."
"Do you want us to come back? We can stop by the village, then go back."
"No, I'll find you." Eventually, anyway.
Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a rabbit--he whipped around and scooped it up in one thoughtless motion.
He looked down at the rabbit--he stared at it for a second, saw how the rabbit rested in his arm--"Oh GOD, I'm becoming like him...!"
"Who?"
He brought his hand to his forehead and squeezed his eyes shut. "Nothing. I'm coming,"
He turned off the call and let the rabbit jump out of his arms.
He looked around for slimes, then, satisfied, he left.

The random wandering was proving to be even worse than he'd thought it'd be, though at least he'd gotten a couple Souls of Light. He knew they were useful, but they still made him feel sick every time he saw them.
A vwoosh and a neon blur.
He brought his sword up, in front of him in a horizontal line.
Vwoosh. A blurred, pink grin.
Ah. The Chaos Elementals again.
Far-off pattering of impossibly swift footsteps.
One second....
His muscles twitched in anticipation, but he kept his stance.
Vwoosh.
The pink, hairless humanoid stood confidently in his face. Heat seemed to crackle out of its body of energy.
He let go, his arm regaining its own control. He slashed at it in quick, diagonal motions--it flashed away after only a few seconds.
Vwoosh--the back of his hair moved. Heat at his neck and back--
He spun himself and the sword around in an arc.
Facing the creature--it was stunned--
He sliced forwards--
Vwoosh.
Nothing left but melting, oozing pink "blood".
He shook it off of his sword, moving on.
There wasn't any sound except for the sound of his boots on the hard, pearl-like stone.
The only light was from the dozens and dozens of spiked crystals--he must've been in the wrong place. If they'd been there before, there should be some other light sources nearby.
Vwoosh.
He stabbed to the side--he was wrong--another impossibly hot stab in his other shoulder--he hit the smooth ground. A foot rammed into his back--burning, burning--a strange scream of pain that turned out to be his--vwoosh--he drank the potion in his shaking hands--a wave of coolness. The burning faded and the wound healed shut.
Vwoosh.
He rolled to his feet.
Vwoosh.
A white-hot slap to the face. He stumbled, drawing in a strained breath--it hurt too much to see from that eye--
He swung wildly--vwoosh--right next to him--
He swiped again--it disappeared--its head with its insane expression rolled away, then it dissolved too--
He picked up the money and its soul, leaned over until he caught his breath, then kept going.

Just as he'd found the trail of torches again, they called him.
"Dusk?" Thalia asked, sounding tired.
"Yeah?"
"We're thinking of going down until we get to Hell. Then we'll search for some ore there, like the Guide suggested."
"In that case, should I just use the Hellevator and find you from there? All this pink stuff is creeping me out," he teased.
There was the faintest sound of what sounded like a small laugh. Then, a slightly less exhausted, "Okay. You know, sometimes you sound like--"
Her voice stopped on its own, unable to finish the thought.
"It's fine. So we'll do that?"
"Sure. That sounds good."
He turned off the Chat again and brought out the Mirror.

Unsurprisingly, this time the journey was extremely easy, and after the others got there, it continued to be unremarkably bland-- just quiet mining, and trying to ignore the smell of burning ashes.
No more jokes or teasing or sarcasm--just the quiet, quiet silence and the expressions of loneliness.
Something inside of him snapped.
"What is WRONG with you?" he asked.
The other three immediately turned to stare at him, stunned.
"It's been what, two, three weeks? And yet you all sit here, depressed, gloomy--and doing nothing. Nothing. Would she really want you to be like this? This is stupid. ILLOGICAL. This is freaking absurd--yes. SHE IS DEAD. ACTING LIKE THIS WON'T BRING HER BACK TO LIFE!" he shouted, his lungs already aching from his own sudden volume.
Micheal's expression turned to one of rage--not pure rage, but mixed with something else...anguish?
Michael growled as his words echoed.
"YOU'VE CLEARLY NEVER LOST SOMEONE THEN!" he shouted. He let his words resonate and bounce off the walls as well. Then: "YES--YES, IT IS ILLOGICAL! BUT IT HURTS, AND THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO--"
"YOU CAN BE HAPPY!" Dusk said, beginning to rant. "I MAY HAVE NOT LOST SOMEONE LIKE THAT TO MY MEMORY, BUT I KNOW THIS ISN'T WHAT SHE WANTS. BE HAPPY YOU MET HER! BE HAPPY YOU HAD THE TIME YOU DID! DON'T BE SELFISH, CRYING OUT AND DEMANDING FOR MORE WHEN YOU WERE LUCKY ENOUGH AS IT IS!"
The echoing continued and continued, yet the silence seemed to continue long after the echoing stopped.
Michael sniffed and rubbed his eyes with his arm. "He has a point," he admitted to the other two. He turned back to Dusk. "I don't agree with you about everything, though. I'd feel like crap if I didn't feel anything or miss her at all."
Dusk realized some of what he'd said--his lips pressed together and he looked down slightly. "Missing someone is one thing. I...we all miss her. And that's normal. But wallowing in it--that's another. I don't think you--we'll--ever stop missing her. But I hate seeing you guys like this. I mean, the first week made sense, but--"
"You really don't get it, do you?" Michael asked seriously. He walked up and grabbed his shoulder in a brother-like gesture. "I appreciate the concern though. She'd hate it, too. So I'll try." he let go and walked past him.

--Four Days Later--
"Sweet, full Adamantite armor!" Michael commented. "Hey Dusk, you want magic or melee?"
He paused, seriously considering. "You know what, let's go with melee. I should probably start worrying about defense more, given how often I've been getting injured lately."
"Alright, I'll go tell Dan." he got up and left the room, returning a few minutes later with an uncomplete set of Adamantite armor. "Sorry, he used up the rest making a magic hat for Thalia. I mean Headgear."
"No, that's fine." he put on the helmet and chestplate, causing Michael to snicker slightly.
He tried to frown and look serious, but he couldn't help but smile. "What?"
"Nothing," Michael said, smiling. "THALIA, YOU GOTTA SEE THIS!"
There was the sound of running down stairs, then she ran in. "What is it--" she saw Dusk, then began giggling as well. "Is that it?"
Michael nodded, still smiling.
"No, really, what is it?"
"You look terrible in red,"
"Michael!" Thalia exclaimed, smiling faintly. She looked at Dusk again, trying to mask her amusement. "You do look strange though. Like...like a blueberry dressing up as a strawberry for Halloween, except worse."
"That doesn't even make sense,"
"THANK THE LORD FOR FAMILIAR CLOTHES!" Thalia exclaimed, throwing some at him and running off, Michael following her.
"This house is so weird."
"They're just getting used to it," Dan said, appearing out of nowhere. "It'll go back to normal eventually. Right now they're just trying...a little too hard, maybe."
He nodded quietly. "Hey, Dan...is it bad that I contradicted myself?"
"What?"
"My speech. I'm a hypocritical idiot..."
Dan stood there, thinking. "I dunno. We're just a bunch of teenagers still trying to adapt, and apparently that includes attempting to be psychological."
"I wonder how badly we're failing," Dusk commented.
Dan shrugged again. "I dunno. But at least you gave them that push they needed--it'll be hard, but hopefully we can start recovering."
"I feel like you're narrating now."
Dan looked at him weirdly. "Um...okay...? Anyway, I'm going to go find Thalia. Please stop wearing red," he added, then he walked out of the door.
Dusk grumbled half-heartedly and picked up the Familiar Clothes.

To be continued....
NOTES AND COMMENTS:
--The "shocked grimace" thing is a result of me trying to describe a face that looks something like this: http://www.anime-evo.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/codeassr2-05-01.jpg
Or this: http://diarynote.jp/data/blogs/l/20111005/77755_201110050039368189_1.jpg
I don't know either. I really don't XD
--The spin arc in the fight with the Chaos Elemental is me trying to describe a video game move (from Legend of Zelda I think. Or Recettear) where your character spins and attacks in a circular motion. I can't figure out how to describe it, orz
--It seems like things keep being beheaded lately...don't worry though, I won't behead any non-enemies. Probably. //shot
--I wonder why I keep having "to be continued" at the end. I guess it's a relic ((that sounds fancy asf)) of the series' "slightly" cheesier days beginnings. :p

I think Xorathor will also appear in my own fanfic. I was planning on this before, but now I'm making him more like this Xorathor, you know, more insane and basically more humorous. If I can pull it off, it should turn out great. I'm not even close to his appearance yet, though.
Appearance as in when he'll appear in the series?
Please post the link though, I'd be interested in seeing him then :D

...Aggh, I'm coming close to saying this is on hiatus or somefin, but I know that if I did that then it'd probably never get finished.
If anyone's still reading this then please tell me, and I'll try to stop putting off finishing the next chapter. Sorry...

...Aggh, I'm coming close to saying this is on hiatus or somefin, but I know that if I did that then it'd probably never get finished.
If anyone's still reading this then please tell me, and I'll try to stop putting off finishing the next chapter. Sorry...
Don't quit on us yet! ^_^

GOOD NEWS!
Last Saturday I sat down and wrote out thirty two pages of content and basically I finished the story!
Sorry if anything seems rushed, if you see any typos please tell me because part of this was typed out on a phone so I'm sure it's not perfect :p
"So, Guide. What are the Hardmode bosses again?" Thalia asked.
He sighed. "I thought I told you: the Destroyer, Skeletron Prime, and The Twins. I recommend fighting them in that order of you couldn't tell."
"So what do we need to summon the Destroyer?"
The Guide listed the crafting materials, then Dan said, "We have everything then. So we might as well fight it."
"Sounds good to me." Michael said.
"Where should we fight it?" Thalia asked. "We could turn the surface section of the Dungeon into an arena."
Dusk hesitated, searching the Guide's expression for any hints as to what he wanted. "That sounds like a good idea. You guys can go get ready, I'll catch up in a minute."
They nodded, and as soon as they were out of earshot, he asked, "Am I supposed to save rabbits during that fight?"
"Of course, idiot." He snapped. "Why do you keep feeling the need to make me repeat things?"
He ignored the Guide's irritation and continued. "Any progress?"
The Guide lowered his voice. "I think I've found where she is."
"What do you mean?"
"You said you remembered what Terraria is. I've figured out where she's been 'saved'. If I can restore her files--"
"Wait--you can change our files?"
The Guide sighed. "NO, I've intentionally made it so I have little control over most aspects of your files, so I can't tamper with your actions or personalities or memories. You're safe. She seems to have been deleted because of the Bleeding debuff. I think I can restore her, but I can't promise it'll work."
"Alright." He said "...Thank you."
He left, leaving the Guide to stand there in surprise. ...'Thank you'?
He'd never heard him say that before.

When he arrived at the Dungeon, he saw they'd already cleared out the inside wall, and they were now flattening the towers.
After that, the four of them made the ceiling taller--when they were finished, there was only a box-frame of brick, lined with various traps. One of them went to go craft the Mechanical Worm, and then after that they had nothing to do for hours.
The wait was excruciatingly boring, rabbits constantly hopping to their near-doom.
Dan seemed to be planning a strategy in the meantime, while Thalia and Michael made up a game with various colored gemstones.
The song he'd been humming the whole time changed--he looked up and saw the sky was a dark, graying blue. The moon would be out soon.
He looked both ways, then ran back to the Dungeon for the umpteenth time that day. The three were already organizing their weapon slots and getting in the stances Dan advised.
"We ready?"
"As soon as you are."
"Go."
A long, mechanical screech echoed through the air.
Dozens of metallic, wormlike loops burst out of the ground. The monster was everywhere, untangling itself the next second.
"Fire!"
The bullets were so repetitive, it turned into an alarm clock ringing, along with the storm of crystal shards flying in all directions.
The shoulder that was touching Dusk on his left was gone--Dan left. He stepped to one side. He knelt to the ground. He began loading the Star Cannon.
Lasers flew through the chaos. A lock of Thalia's hair fell onto his neck. A stray beam hit his arm. He clicked the last gear into place.
He swung the cannon up and over, onto his shoulder.
He waited. One...two...
The metal Eater shot up in his face.
He fired upwards.
BOOM. ONE.
Reload, reload, RELOAD--
BOOM. TWO.
RELOAD--!
BOOM. THREE.
The worm dove back into the ground.
Thalia leaned over, panting. She gulped a potion down, then screamed as she continued summoning hundreds of crystals.
Dusk prepared the cannon.
Lasers rained on them from all directions.
He drained a potion. He wiped his mouth off with his thumb--any time now...!
The weight of the cannon returned to his shoulder--why was it so heavy?
Three--two--
The Destroyer arced above him.
He twisted to get a better angle--
BOOM.
The explosions of miniature stars. The resonating in his head.
BOOM. BOOM. Click.
His shoulder ached.
Faster--FASTER--
BOOM.
His whole body ached from the kickback.
The Destroyer looped through the air, retangling.
BOOM--ringing in his ears--Click--BOOM--reloaded clips of ammo--BOOM--click, click, CLICK--
He let the cannon fall. He stood. He sped forward, sword dancing. It was almost dead--the metallic screams--everything was gone and deaf--his wrist flicked and twisted on its own accord--ducking and stepping and running-- He gasped for breath but there was none--just the metal and blood and burn of magic.
He hurt--it hurt--the mere thought of potions was sickening--
Dan stabbed the head--time froze--then the creature glowed blindingly, collapsing in on itself and folding together so quickly, all the oxygen was sucked out of the atmosphere.
The world unfroze, still too bright to see.
All that remained was a large, glowing soul--the Souls of Might.
Breathe in--breathe out--in--out--in--out--
Wait...
"Sh**!" he exclaimed.
"Dusk, I told you! We shouldn't swear!" Thalia said. "What is it?"
"Oh sh**, the friggen rabbits--"
"Dude, chill," Michael said. "You sound like--"
"Whatever, I know. Be right back."
He teleported before anyone could protest.

"So was that good enough?"
"A rabbit died."
SH**!
He force his face to stay blank. "I didn't see any of them, though." The Guide shrugged. "Neither did I. Doesn't change the fact that they're dead. It's an easy boss. If you're going to be lazy like this, then so am I."
"What do you mean?"
Resurrection gone wrong? Not paying attention? He didn't want to risk anything.
"There's no time limit, I really shouldn't rush..." the Guide thought out loud, putting a hand on his chin and twisting in place on his heels. "I was in a boss fight and I missed a rabbit that I didn't know existed? That's not a logical reason for a setback."
"This is my domain. Remember, I make the rules."
Dusk clicked his tongue. Arrogant son of a--
"You may control the laws of this universe, but pure logic is the same in all universes."
"I don't have time for this. I'm a busy man. Go do your hero-ing, or whatever it is you do every day," he said, shooing him away with his hand.
Dusk's eyes narrowed a little, but he slowly took the doorknob, turned, and left anyway.

By the time he found the others, they were already crafting.
"There's so much stuff you can make with this," Thalia commented with wide eyes. She turned to Dan and asked, "Should we keep this for now?"
"If we're going to get more, shouldn't we try making something with the stuff we already have?" Michael asked.
"You should probably save it." Dan advised. He looked up and saw Dusk--"Hey, where were you?"
"Business meeting," he deadpanned. "It didn't go too well."
He frowned a little bit didn't question it. "Okay, so the plan is that we keep collecting souls, fighting the Destroyer, and crafting."
He nodded. "That sounds fine." More thinking for me. "Are we going now?"
"Sure, why not?"

He was running, running, running, voices barking after him.
They swerved and ducked into alleyway after alleyway, trying to find somewhere hidden, but they'd found them all--
"I might just have to use Black Magic," he painted.
"They'd just have more reason to kill us," she retorted. "Do you remember that teleportation spell?"
He moved his fingers around, the magic energy starting to flow through his hands. He searched his own mind, then nodded. "I believe so. The Forests?" he guessed.
"If they're not too far."
He grabbed her hand and cast the spell.

They were falling, falling, and crashing into what felt like dozens of wooden clubs.
They hit the solid ground, and the little breathe he had was crushed out of him.
They sat there for a long time, aching and trying to breathe.
"...I hate teleporting."
"But we're alive," she pointed out, sighing and sitting up to fix her long, bright red hair.
"Alive..."

The cuts and bruises were adding up, but he didn't care, cause his memories were slowly flowing back to him--like an unraveling ball of yarn, one piece after another.

He was always running, always from the ones who shouted, and always with her.
His stomach perpetually growled and ached from emptiness.
He was half bleary from sleep, but he was running and running and he had to wake up.
He couldn't remember why she ever stayed with him.

The others asked if he was okay, if he wanted to stay at home.
He was okay.
He almost began recounting his memories out loud, but he saw their faces and knew that they wouldn't have understood, would they?
They didn't need to know.
Not yet.
He just had to get her back.
He had a lot of questions.

After that, things became vague again.
He was focusing more, though the repeated fights with the Destroyer all became a blur anyway.
He'd started building more bunny-repellent or protective structures so they'd be safer from various bosses and the occasional blood moon. He'd even asked for the Guide's opinions, which seemed to calm him down. There was one time when the Guide had assembled a small petting zoo of rabbits when he suddenly said,
"I think I can do it. Bring her back."
"When?" he asked immediately, watching his every move and gesture.
But no, the Guide was relaxing--almost at peace.
"I can get the files ready, try restoring them..." he quietly stretched out the vowels, still staring at the window. "I'll have it ready by the next time you come home."
He stood up and briskly nodded, running back out to coax the other three that they should make another trip to the Corruption.

Every second, every detail was excruciatingly clear. He'd claimed five Souls of Night, it had been four hours and thirteen minutes, it was about six o clock, and the monsters were still the throwing green fire at him, despite the fact that they'd cleared the area twice.
"They're just going to keep respawning, we should move on," Thalia said, flipping through the pages of a spell tome and hiding behind a rock barrier.
"Should we go home? I think we've been here long enough."
She frowned a little, confused, but she must've thought of an explanation 'cause she just shrugged and said, "Okay, we can go. I'll message the others, you go on ahead."
He nodded and was gone a second later.

He'd teleported back at the Guide's--he had no idea how he was actually bringing her back, so he decided to just be quiet and wait for him to notice he was back.
He quickly realized that was a stupid idea given that this was the Guide, so he left his room to find the Guide's room.
The door was shut, as usual, but he heard murmuring inside, so he stopped.
The words were too quiet to make out, but they sounded like strings of numbers, like the codes he used to send players to other worlds.
He sat down, leaning against the wall.
Thalia ran in, and he put a finger up to his lips.
She frowned again--as did the other two when they ran in.
"What's he doing?"
"You'll see." he replied simply.
"Sounds like witchcraft," Michael commented. "Wait, is the Guide a witch? ...But that'd mean he's actually an old lady! Dang, no wonder he's insa--"
"SHH!"
The mumbling was as steady as before, then he stopped and opened the door a sliver, barely enough to let his voice out.
"She's waking up. Be quiet, it's like revival."
He waited a couple of long, equally painful seconds, then slowly opened the door.
"Come look."
As he said, there she was, sitting up in bed, like she'd been revived normally and there had never been a problem.
She was rubbing her eyes, wincing at the light from the window and torches.
She blinked several times and said, with a voice cracked from disuse, "...This isn't my spawn point."
Thalia and Michael ran in, laughing from relief and exclaiming her name and asking questions, at no one in particular, but just amazed beyond belief--
Dusk stumbled after them, smiling because oh my god he'd done it, he'd done it, the Guide wasn't lying and there she was, she was alive again.
"What's going on? Did something happen? ...Is the Blood Moon over?"
"Yeah, yeah, it's over, it's over..." Thalia breathed, grinning. "But how...?"
Dusk looked at the Guide, but he wasn't there. He looked around the room, but apparently he'd left. He sighed.
"There's a lot of things you need to know. All of you. ...We're going to be here for a while."

To be continued...

Last edited:
As he'd expected, Dawn was pretty much overloaded with information--it was several weeks before he'd finally told her everything, as he was trying not to confuse her even more.
As for the other three, they all took the news of "we're in a digital universe, oh and this was all created by our mentally unstable Guide" differently.
Thalia was amazed but believed him; Michael took it as a joke, but soon followed Thalia's example; and Dan took a while to accept it.
"I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't see how it's possible with the technology we had."
Dusk didn't hold it against him--he knew he wouldn't believe someone telling him that, either.

And then there was the training--despite being restored to what was supposedly exactly how she would've revive if it weren't for the glitch, she still wasn't the same.
She looked the same and acted the same, but her memory was slower and she had to practice fighting--a lot.
At first, they'd only been catching up and practicing for a few weeks.
That few weeks turned into a month, and then they'd revisited their whole planet again with Dawn to show her the changes, and they'd fought the Destroyer again before the Guide finally snapped and said, "Go defeat Skeletron Prime. Now. These are the ingredients, I'll see you in the morning."

And that was that.

Dawn had gotten much stronger lately, yet she'd still struggled in that fight.
By this point, though, with five of them, they were strong enough to make it with only one death.
And then they repeated that fight, over and over until it was almost too easy, like all the other enemies they'd conquered.

He wondered if it was possible to "beat" the game.
He wondered what that would mean--what that meant for the game, their purpose, their futures.

Lately it seemed like all anyone wanted was to talk to either him or Dawn--mainly her.
They were all overjoyed to have her back--he could tell by their smiles and optimism.
But one night while Dan and Michael were telling stories with Dawn and crafting, Thalia sat down next to Dusk and softly asked,
"Is it bad that sometimes I wonder if she should really be alive? She's my best friend, and I'm so glad she's back, but..."
She paused for a long time, frowning and hugging her knees to her chest.
"She was gone for so long and I really believed she was dead." she continued. "I did. And now that she's back, I just...I don't know."
He'd patted her shoulder and told her that most people don't have friends return from the dead like that.
She'd laughed quietly and stayed silent after that, sitting there and thinking.

He wondered if she was actually the same.
He asked himself what it meant to live and die in this game.

Dawn was slowly remembering.
At first, it was extreme deja vu at hearing Dusk's memories.
She kept asking herself why she was having such a hard time remembering, even when she was being told what happened.
It didn't help how everyone else was telling her what she'd missed--she tried paying attention and she thought everything was important, but her head ached and she just wanted to think to herself.
She had no idea what was going on all the time, and all she knew was that things had changed--Michael and Dusk didn't fight, Thalia tried reconnecting with her all the time, and Michael was always there and constantly trying to talk, as though he'd been gagged and silenced for a month and was dying to speak again.
And she appreciated Dusk was just trying to help, but she felt like he was just trying to force her to remember too much.
Only Dan seemed to understand that she needed space.
Every once in a while, she'd disappear.
She'd run over to the lake she first woke up by, and she'd stare into the impossibly blue depths and process everything.

She wondered how long it'd take for her to catch up.
She wondered if she should really be there.

Over the timespan of another month or so, they had even more equipment and fancy spells and weapons.
She'd started recounting bits and pieces of what had happened:

The running. The hiding. The mourning.

She'd kept remembering a strong feeling of loss, and it took her a while before she realized she was an orphan.
The sight of the blood from that day made her sick to her stomach--she's pretended the tears were just splashes of water from the lake, but in the end it was just herself, so she'd curled up in a ball and cried, because oh my god, she'd been running from THAT?

From the killers, from the blinding white of the shutdown magic hospitals, from everything.

She was running from everything, and now she knew.
She'd swallowed down the lump in her throat and eaten some mushrooms to stop the queasiness and shut out that sight--and oh god, the blood-- And she decided she couldn't tell anyone, not now.

She wondered why she'd wanted so badly to remember.
She really had been a fool.

The Guide demanded that they go fight The Twins, so of course they prepared for that battle, too.
They wondered why everything just led up to another boss, another fight. She wondered if the Guide had only brought her back so she could fight with them.
She was sick of fighting, but she hated the idea of going back to running, so she just took her frustration out on the enemy.
The battle was tough, but they slayed the Twins, too.
Then they did it again and again, until they were strong enough to take on anything in the world.

The Guide told them that was all there is.

It was empty.

It was all, completely empty.

The five of them sat around that same table they'd had since the very beginning.

It couldn't be over.

But they had everything in the world.

And Thalia begged the Guide to take them home, but he'd look away and tell her that this was their prize:
A world of their own.
A world to shape, a world that was their canvas and paint.
She begged and pleaded to go home.
These days he just shut the door in her face, every time.

And Dawn just thought by the lake, and Dan would join her and they'd sit in silence unless he was in the mood to beat up a tree with his sword or bare hands.
Every time, he'd go back to the Nurse, whether he wanted to or not.
She'd wrap bandages around his hands, until the bones mended and he'd come back to the lake and do it all over again.

Dawn kept wondering why they were there.
What the purpose of this world was.
Why the Guide created this game.
Every time, she thought of that War, that War and how she knew somehow that everyone was dead.
She asked Dan to tell her how he and the others had come to Terraria.
Every time, she thought of the War.

They asked the Guide how they could destroy the Corruption, and he told them it wouldn't be easy to kill it.
He said the Corruption was alive, was a virus.
Dusk tried covering a scowl, but she could read his face like a book, and she knew there was something wrong.

"Do you know anything about what the Corruption is? What it really is?" She asked.
His lips pressed together. "I know you all believe it's pure evil."
"It may be, it may not be. What else?"
He shrugged. "I don't know. But it's not evil. It just wants to survive."
She nodded and they sat there, without speaking.
"You mentioned we went to a forest once." She said slowly. "Why? Why there?"
He blinked--she didn't ask about their past very often.
"I wondered that, too. I assume it was the safest place."
"Wasn't it near something else?"
"What do you mean?"
"Like we found something that day. Something we weren't supposed to see."
He nodded. "I thought the same thing. It was an oddly large forest..."
"One of the dryad forests." she said. "Yeah, we found a dryad...and she...she said we shouldn't be there, that only dryads were there."

As she talked and he added his own realizations, the memory came flooding back--
The vibrant greens, like the Forest and Jungle combined; the tall trees, too tall to see the tops.
The dryad told them to leave, but they said all they wanted was a place to hide.
She'd nodded and told them to follow her--they passed by what looked like the exact same clearings and condensed trees as before, but she looked confident, so they trusted she knew where she was going.
Dusk asked why she was the only dryad.
She never replied.
She led them into the largest clearing of them all, to a clearing with a tree so large, its trunk was about the size of a house.
Magic radiated off of it, filling the air with energy and sucking the air out of their lungs.
"This is the last Gate to the other worlds." she said solemnly. "Yggdrasil."
They couldn't say anything, they were too awed, so she continued, "I can take you anywhere. I'll open the Gates myself; the spell is finished when you say where to go."
They nodded and she cast the spell, but the ground began shaking and the branches shriveled and the leaves turned sickly purple and her eyes were wide and she looked ready to scream and she was saying "NO" so often and so fast it didn't even sound like a word anymore.
And she was trying to cast a Reverse spell, but the Gate wouldn't close and it couldn't close, and she told them that they had to find the Doctor, to say Code Genesis, and she was so, so sorry 'cause the legends weren't supposed to be real, but they were--the prophecy of the Corrupted Gates, and of the realm that devoured worlds.
They saw flashes of the other realms--purple, red, pastels, Batman--before she cast Teleport and passed out.
They asked the Doctor, and he had calmly told them that she was the last dryad, the protectors of the Gates.
She'd asked why the Dryad would open the Gate if there was a prophecy like that.
He said the Prophecy was wrong, but he didn't explain, and his fiancee had smiled and said she was going to the store and he just smiled back and said he loved her.
When she was gone, he'd told them about Terraria.

From there, everything connected.
And for the first time, they felt as though they knew what had happened, they knew everything.

"Elan and Fiona have arrived. Nine other players have arrived."
NOTES/COMMENTS:
Yeah, this didn't turn out how I was expecting :v I was expecting this to be about two or three chapters (one for each boss) and I had planned different reactions for Dawn, but I think I like this better.
Still not sure if it seems too rushed though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom