tModLoader Experience and Classes

Are the new class advancement requirements reasonable?

• Yes! Major changes are NOT needed.

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • The Monster/Boss Orb requirements are reasonable, but not the other requirements.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The other requirements are reasonable, but not the Monster/Boss Orb requirements.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No! Major changes are needed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's a pretty fun idea.

UBER tier with mod integration requiring loot from moon lord and/or post moon lord is interesting.

As it stands, however, I would be really interested to see the single summon class actualized. It's a pretty fascinating class idea.
As is, technically you don't even need to discount side classes. Allow some of them a master-tier equivalent, like the Minion Master or Assassin. Either way, make them cost Fragments closest to the class (or a mix thereof for classes that aren't represented or multiclasses) and then a Moon Lord item of that class.

I would like to add a 4th tier or some kind of specializations at some point, but these changes (below) will come first. In general, I would like to polish the current content before adding more. This probably means revamping the ranged classes and adding more active effects.

If you ever want to know what I have planned or if a feature has an ETA, you can check the "Planned Changes" section on the first post.

v1.1.9
-more code cleanup and optimizations (after this, I'll move the source to a public repo for all to see)

Likely Additions With No ETA
-implement Explorer: a class for fishing, mining, and building
-implement Familiar: new minion class that is limited to one super-powered minion
-redo the three ranged classes in a more interesting way: perhaps a sniper, a kiter, and a burster?
-add a passive to Mystic that allows them to build charge with each hit, lose charge over time, and when charge is full the next hit does bonus damage and resets the charges
-improve visual when Assassin opener attack is ready
-try setting all minion attacks to non-piercing and see what happens (potentially improve Minion Master class)
-add global explvlcap and expdmgred options for multiplayer?
-combine all player settings into one object and generalize packet sync (simplify future settings and reduce chance of bugs)
-berserker attack speed changed to stacking buff that builds with each hit (lower minimum, higher maximum potential) use a meter?
-add a command to change the map auth code (usable only in single-player for security)
-ninja petal damage scaling
-overhead experience gain messages

Last edited:
How about specifically making Minon Master make everything not pierce? Would that be possible? Because making everything not pierce would be a massive nerf to everyone who isn't a minion master. :p

Also, how about a Summoner II class which is like hybrid II but specifically a improvement to the summoner class, instead?

I dislike that summoners have to choose between low minion caps but actually piercing armor and high minion cap but almost nonexistent armor penetration.

Rather than go up to 5 minions like Hybrid, this could go up to 7, give +1% damage per level, and maybe have effects like a % chance of minion lifesteal and debuff infliction?

For instance, it could be .1% chance per level, with 10% of damage dealt as healing, so at level 100 you'd have a 10% chance of health restoration, *10 percent actually healed, so a effective 1% lifesteal overall.

some suggestion:
1º - The familiar summoner class could be based in each successful hit of an summon give an bonus in non-summon damage;
2º - The ninja need the petal damage being avaliable more early, because almost every throw item is very nerfed.
I am playing expert as ninja and i am suffering a lot in mechanical bosses;

This is everything i have to say;

Thanks for understanding.

How about specifically making Minon Master make everything not pierce? Would that be possible? Because making everything not pierce would be a massive nerf to everyone who isn't a minion master. :p
The idea was to make specifically minions not pierce because Minion Master runs into an issue with the limit on how many piercing attacks can hit a target per second. This would probably be limited to ranged attacks from minions.

Also, how about a Summoner II class which is like hybrid II but specifically a improvement to the summoner class, instead?.

I dislike that summoners have to choose between low minion caps but actually piercing armor and high minion cap but almost nonexistent armor penetration.

Rather than go up to 5 minions like Hybrid, this could go up to 7, give +1% damage per level, and maybe have effects like a % chance of minion lifesteal and debuff infliction?

For instance, it could be .1% chance per level, with 10% of damage dealt as healing, so at level 100 you'd have a 10% chance of health restoration, *10 percent actually healed, so a effective 1% lifesteal overall.
I don't feel like a Summoner II class is necessary. Vanilla gear can reach 11 minions and quite a lot of damage so neither class is particularly lacking.

The idea of lifesteal/debuffs from minions is interesting and has been discusses a bit before. My concern with lifesteal is that it's difficult to balance - even a little bit of healing can have a massive effect. I would like to add some kind of debuff or interaction with minions eventually, but there are other classes that are more in need of work and my time is quite limited.

1º - The familiar summoner class could be based in each successful hit of an summon give an bonus in non-summon damage;
I like this idea. My concern with the class is that it might not be fun to build minion damage but only having one minion. However, some minions hit much more frequently than others so balancing this might be tricky.

2º - The ninja need the petal damage being avaliable more early, because almost every throw item is very nerfed.
I am playing expert as ninja and i am suffering a lot in mechanical bosses;
Thanks for the feedback! Ninja has has the highest damage bonus to make up for how bad throwing items tend to be, but I can see how their early game might still be iffy. I have moved the on-hit petal from level 40 to level 30. This will be in the next version.

I've been really liking the mod so far as a hunter, gives a nice sense of getting stronger not just through gear.

Since I noticed you were planning to rebalance the ranged classes, I gotta say the tier three archer feels so much more limited than the gunner class. While it does get higher damage, being locked into just bows while gunner can use literally everything else makes it seem really unappealing to me compared to the gunner for damage. Magic/Thrower on the other hand gets a damage class with all their weapons, and melee/summoner while split between their damage focus can still use whatever weapons they want. Ranged your forced to pick the less offensive ranger if you want to use all your weapons, or lose some weapons as the other two. So maybe add some kind of general damage ranged class? Sorta like the the current ranger class but totally focused on offense.

yay stacking to 10 million because of course we need it :/ xD
I sure at least a few people will make use of it. :p

I've been really liking the mod so far as a hunter, gives a nice sense of getting stronger not just through gear.

Since I noticed you were planning to rebalance the ranged classes, I gotta say the tier three archer feels so much more limited than the gunner class. While it does get higher damage, being locked into just bows while gunner can use literally everything else makes it seem really unappealing to me compared to the gunner for damage. Magic/Thrower on the other hand gets a damage class with all their weapons, and melee/summoner while split between their damage focus can still use whatever weapons they want. Ranged your forced to pick the less offensive ranger if you want to use all your weapons, or lose some weapons as the other two. So maybe add some kind of general damage ranged class? Sorta like the the current ranger class but totally focused on offense.
Thanks for the input! I intend to completely remove the weapon restrictions. I put them in initially because I didn't know what else to do for the ranged classes, but it is clear that limiting weapons is just not fun.

At the moment, I am considering something like this:
Class 1: kiting, increased damage if you have moved recently
Class 2: sniping, increased damage if you have not moved recently, stand still and don't attack for a moment to massively increase the next attack
Class 3: a general defensive option

Thoughts?

I sure at least a few people will make use of it. :p

Thanks for the input! I intend to completely remove the weapon restrictions. I put them in initially because I didn't know what else to do for the ranged classes, but it is clear that limiting weapons is just not fun.

At the moment, I am considering something like this:
Class 1: kiting, increased damage if you have moved recently
Class 2: sniping, increased damage if you have not moved recently, stand still and don't attack for a moment to massively increase the next attack
Class 3: a general defensive option

Thoughts?

Class 1: This one seems fine to me. If your a low defense ranger dodging is the best way to deal with attacks anyways. So you basically get a bonus for doing what you'd normally do.

Class 2: This one is... difficult. It falls into the same category the base late game ranger armours do. Which means it'll have to have either a very short charge time or something else (Maybe if you take a hit with KB resistance it doesn't count as moving like the vanilla armours? So you could sacrifice some health for high damage.) to help deal with the fact most bosses need you to move constantly or get hit. Otherwise it would be a mostly MP class. As in SP it would be very hard to find a moment where it would be preferable to the other two classes.

Class 3: I think this is a solid option as well. Having a more defensive option is a nice side path for a normally offensive playstyle.

Anyways, that's my two cents on the classes. Hope development goes well!

Still shopping around as I figure out how irked I am with Terraria's lack of a Pause button. I haven't tried this, but maybe a Storm Trooper versus Nest Gunner approach might help. Storm Trooper: higher firing speed, reduced accuracy, shots have a chance of piercing, (other effect? Perhaps MP-friendly "firing rate improves further with more Storm Troopers in the game"?). Nest Gunner: reduced attack speed, improved accuracy and damage, accuracy increases further the longer you stand still, damage increases as life decreases. (see "Corporal Joseph Vittori" for one example of where I get this idea from.)

Edit: Sorry, still brainstorming, because I think I like the sound of this mod. Perhaps some manner of minion effect could be applied where existing minions do more damage the further you are from your cap, using a formula that could make a single minion a bit more powerful than, say, 17 minions... with the drawback that it's still just one minion. So, if you focus on increasing your minion cap, you could go for a cap number of minions with no extra bonus, or fewer with a higher bonus the further below cap you go. Or just one minion with the strength of more than 17 minions, but the other limits of being just one minion (such as how many targets it can attack and how often).

Last edited:
I have made these sprites in 2 min, for Boss orbs and Ascension orbs, they're reaaaaaally bad since they are my first 2 ones in life, if you like i can do the xp orbs as well, some for each value diferent in colour or idk, this part is the hardest. Well... i'm trying to help, and your mod is just amazing. The size is 16x16 pixels, that's why they look so "pretty" ^^

Attachments

• Sprite style (1).png
    Sprite style (1).png
    378 bytes · Views: 176
  • Sprite style.png
    Sprite style.png
    276 bytes · Views: 166
Slight bug with crafting the Tier II Summoner Token, since it requires two separate stacks of a single Ascension Orb, having only one orb in your inventory is enough to craft it. It should require a stack of two orbs.

Hello, i have finished two playthroughs with your mod and have almost finished a third. I hope you do not mind if i make a few suggestions and observations based on my experiences with your mod and the way it interacts with others both SP and MP.

I would like to note that i am using numerous additional mods (see screenshot), several of which introduce post moon lord content and that i have reached level 250 with only a few bosses remaining to be beaten.
https://gyazo.com/276db59e611b87fbc434df649ab056af

Tank:
During the course of my first playthrough with two friends i played as a tank and found the defences and team benefits of the tank to be lackluster the entire game. I would like to suggest a few new abilities to make the tank more valuable in multiplayer and more capable of... tanking in general.
  • A permanent aura that increases your allies damage mitigation and defence by 20%/40%/60% of your total damage mitigation and defence by level 100. This should have a very large range as offensive classes will be moving around much more than the tank.

• Base Damage mitigation of 10% and scaling an additional 10% by level 100. When enemies are hitting you for 800+ damage constantly, mitigation outclasses defence by a long shot.
Minion Master/Soul Binder:
Man i loved being a summoner with these. I only wish the post moonlord content mods added stronger(useful) summons.

Minion Master worked wonders with Stardust Dragon and UFO’s. Having a massive 30 segment long Stardust Dragon dealing 5k damage 6 times a second was great. The pierce issues mentioned on the class acc were never an issue, they just required intelligent choices of minions.

Soul Binder was really only useful when summoning the initial minions before swapping to Minion Master and could definitely use buffing via abilities. Perhaps if minions could crit or heal the summoner with Soul Binder equipped?

Priest:
Why does the priest have an ichor aura/damage aura to begin with? That seems like something the melee classes should have to be honest. I would like to suggest the following abilities for the priest class
  • Resurrection, when an ally dies nearby restore them to full health. 5 minute cooldown.

• Radiance, increase the priests and all allies stats similar to celestial stone as well as 20% increased HP.

• Perhaps a damage mitigation buff like Kyrie Elison from Ragnarok Online? It prevents damage a certain number of hits and could regenerate slowly while not taking damage.

Assassin:
I loved the assassin, but found it to be useless in multiplayer. With spells and projectiles flying every which way, finding an enemy on full health was impossible. Even in single player, so many acc’s dealt damage to nearby enemies it was impossible to avoid. Because of this, and the fact that his increased crit chance became a useless perk late game(warrior ended up with 90% crit chance on weapons due to equipment and gained FAR more damage) his setup and play style quickly became obsolete. I only have one suggestion to make him viable in multiplayer and late game.

• Opener attacks trigger on enemies with 95%/85%/75% health remaining by level 100

I did not play any mages or archer types as i find them far to squishy and lacking in pierce ability without using specific ammo.

That's a ton of feedback, I wanna add some comments to this as well as it seems really well thought out.

A permanent aura that increases your allies damage mitigation and defence by 20%/40%/60% of your total damage mitigation and defence by level 100. This should have a very large range as offensive classes will be moving around much more than the tank.

I feel this should work like the paladins shield where you take the reduced damage. As otherwise there are so many ways it could be exploited by having someone else draw aggro in turtle/beetle/solar while the "tank" class avoids actually being targeted with aggro reducing items. (also this would make it straight up better than the priests defense aura below)

Soul Binder was really only useful when summoning the initial minions before swapping to Minion Master and could definitely use buffing via abilities. Perhaps if minions could crit or heal the summoner with Soul Binder equipped?

I definitely feel this class could use some extra perks due to the way summon damage is handled. But due to the summoners immense damage ability draining hp might end up being too strong unless its very limited. I'd prefer the ability to crit to actually give a reason to use anything other than menacing on accessories. (or maybe reducing monster piercing immunity frames, although that seems difficult to reduce them and not outright remove them)

Priest:
Why does the priest have an ichor aura/damage aura to begin with? That seems like something the melee classes should have to be honest. I would like to suggest the following abilities for the priest class

I feel the healer class is going for a more classic DnD cleric. Where not only can they heal their allies but they can also deal some powerful detrimental effects to their enemies as well. As it wouldn't be much fun to play a straight up healer without thorium healer weapons. (you'd do nothing but avoid enemies and deal mediocre damage)

Assassin:
I loved the assassin, but found it to be useless in multiplayer. With spells and projectiles flying every which way, finding an enemy on full health was impossible. Even in single player, so many acc’s dealt damage to nearby enemies it was impossible to avoid. Because of this, and the fact that his increased crit chance became a useless perk late game(warrior ended up with 90% crit chance on weapons due to equipment and gained FAR more damage) his setup and play style quickly became obsolete. I only have one suggestion to make him viable in multiplayer and late game.

In addition to the more generous opening attack, I feel they could just deal higher damage in general, 0.3% per level is lower than most tier 1 classes, they have no melee speed, and their massive crit chance isn't all that useful without higher base damage to back it up. (also since most armours/late game accessories give a lot of crit chance that bonus ends up being useless for them)

Anways that's my two cents on this, I'm really enjoying the mod so far as my run finally is reaching its end!

Thanks for all the great feedback, everyone! I intend to implement many of these proposed changes.

I don't have much time to work on the mod at present, but the project is not dead. :)

How exactly does the Ichor aura work? How often does it activate, and for how long? Is it random?

From my experience the aura activated every few seconds, affected everything on your screen and lasted until the next application or shortly before it.

From my experience the aura activated every few seconds, affected everything on your screen and lasted until the next application or shortly before it.
All auras activate every few seconds. The Priest's ichor lasts longer than the Cleric version and is nearly maintained. The range is approximately one screen in all directions.

Fun Fact: Priest make pretty good casters due to their survivability (health, defense, healing) and mana cost reduction. If played in this way, they are similar to the Sage.

Back
Top Bottom