If you could change anything about Terraria, what would it be?

Marrow

Terrarian
I'm curious to see what you guys think! Personally, I'd like to see more quest giving NPC's like the Angler, or maybe just have existing NPCs give you quests. Like maybe the Arms Dealer would ask you to get him a Handgun or something from the Dungeon. I know that you could just sell him a handgun, but I prefer the lore and immersive feeling of quests.

Your idea sounds very interesting, and I'd like to add a bit to the whole "make NPCs more interactive" thing. What if the NPCs reacted to us selling them certain items? For example, the Arms Dealer could thank us for selling him guns, the Dryad would be pleased to help us get rid of Crimson items, and so on.

I would severely nerf the abilities of items gained through fishing, reduce the number of bars required for armors, and remove the Old One's Army.

I would severely nerf the abilities of items gained through fishing, reduce the number of bars required for armors, and remove the Old One's Army.
If they nerfed items gained from fishing, I hope they would make fishing easier early on as a counter balance. Also, #2 is a great idea. Like Tsintzask said, its a pain in the butt scrambling to find one more piece of ore, especially if you're playing with friends.

If they nerfed items gained from fishing, I hope they would make fishing easier early on as a counter balance. Also, #2 is a great idea. Like Tsintzask said, its a pain in the butt scrambling to find one more piece of ore, especially if you're playing with friends.
How much easier could it possibly be? A few iron bars, pick up some worms, and suddenly you get the best pre-hardmode pickaxe, greater potions, most accessories, and weapons that turn most enemies into cream. Fishing is the definitive cheese.

How much easier could it possibly be? A few iron bars, pick up some worms, and suddenly you get the best pre-hardmode pickaxe, greater potions, most accessories, and weapons that turn most enemies into cream. Fishing is the definitive cheese.
I dunno, maybe I've just had bad luck with fishing, but I've never gotten anything better than a wooden crate, even with a mechanic's rod (Or whatever its called)

I agree with #2, but #1 and 3 are uncalled for. OOA adds new gameplay. 1.3.4 was one of the best updates Terraria ever got. Fishing is not overpowered. With worms and a fleshcatcher it takes an around hour to get reavershark, and if you open your crates before hardmode, you're making a mistake because a: it creams he bosses b: if you open them in hardmode, you could have full titanium armor+forge and mythril anvil. Fishing just replaces mining as a whole for those who think it's to boring (me). I'd personally add NPCs that would give quests, and a NPC that would sell the boss summoning items (especially for plantera's bulb, but also for truffle worms) after that boss or event has been defeated (that means all 20 waves for frost moon)

I agree with #2, but #1 and 3 are uncalled for. OOA adds new gameplay. 1.3.4 was one of the best updates Terraria ever got. Fishing is not overpowered. With worms and a fleshcatcher it takes an around hour to get reavershark, and if you open your crates before hardmode, you're making a mistake because a: it creams he bosses b: if you open them in hardmode, you could have full titanium armor+forge and mythril anvil. Fishing just replaces mining as a whole for those who think it's to boring (me). I'd personally add NPCs that would give quests, and a NPC that would sell the boss summoning items (especially for plantera's bulb, but also for truffle worms) after that boss or event has been defeated (that means all 20 waves for frost moon)
You just described what makes fishing overpowered... an hour (I estimate far less) to instantly gain hellstone mining ability? Instant early hardmode gear? Fishing is the most broken thing in the game. It butchers progression. I also think you meant 1.2.4.

OOA adding new gameplay doesn't make it a good thing. I would barely call it "gameplay".

You just described what makes fishing overpowered... an hour (I estimate far less) to instantly gain hellstone mining ability? Instant early hardmode gear? Fishing is the most broken thing in the game. It butchers progression. I also think you meant 1.2.4.

OOA adding new gameplay doesn't make it a good thing. I would barely call it "gameplay".
no he meant 1.3.4 aka when the old ones army was introduced

I cannot fathom calling that update "one of Terraria's best", neither in quantity nor quality. It's an ad for a different game.
I can't really say anything since I only own console version Terraria, but it looks pretty fun to me, despite it being an "ad for a different game". Is that the only reason you don't like it?

Hey, all fishing needs to be balanced is to lock specific fishing items behind bosses, e.g. you can't fish out a Reaver Shark until you've beater BoC/EoW, and you can't fish out golden and biome crates until you've beaten Skeletron. I could really see that happening, and the community would probably react positively to such a change.

And regarding the OOA, it's 100% optional, and not in any way required for any sort of progression. Also if I may add, there's lots of people who like it. It's understandable for you to dislike it and I can think of some possible reasons why, but there are lots of fans who love it. Personally I'm just okay with it, it has some neat item drops, but not anything amazing. Agree to disagree, I guess.

1. why did you assume I meant 1.2.4?
2. OOA adds gameplay in the sense that you don't care about your health, you only care about the crystal. It also is one of the updates which added the most items (I think the third?). It is true in the sense that it is an add, but that makes it all the better. It brings that new feel to terraria, and vice versa. Also it's optional, adds a new currency, powerful weapons, many turrets and more.
3. Fishing isn't overpowered because with an obsidian skin potion it'll take you, what 10 min for pickaxe? It took me 2hrs to get reaver shark once I started fishing, which was after I had a deathbringer pickaxe. It'll take you as long if not longer to fish a full set of hardmode armor, and it will cost you bait, but in my opinion It's more exciting to fish (I don't have the patience to mine until I have pickaxe axe or luminite pickaxes) and in crimson worlds the ores can be quite rare.

1. why did you assume I meant 1.2.4?
2. OOA adds gameplay in the sense that you don't care about your health, you only care about the crystal. It also is one of the updates which added the most items (I think the third?). It is true in the sense that it is an add, but that makes it all the better. It brings that new feel to terraria, and vice versa. Also it's optional, adds a new currency, powerful weapons, many turrets and more.
3. Fishing isn't overpowered because with an obsidian skin potion it'll take you, what 10 min for pickaxe? It took me 2hrs to get reaver shark once I started fishing, which was after I had a deathbringer pickaxe. It'll take you as long if not longer to fish a full set of hardmode armor, and it will cost you bait, but in my opinion It's more exciting to fish (I don't have the patience to mine until I have pickaxe axe or luminite pickaxes) and in crimson worlds the ores can be quite rare.
1.2.4 was the major fishing update.

Not only is an obsidian skin potion difficult to craft and usually to find, you need to grind out a nightmare pickaxe. That isn't even close to fishing's time frame. It usually takes me around 15-30 minutes to bag a reaver shark.

I suggest you try using explosives to mine, it's quicker than a pick-axe.

I have to admit, I find this particular comment hard to swallow. Porting content from another game isn't a "new feeling" and even if it was, Terraria needs to create its own new feelings, not copy-pasted content. The amount of content added does not make an update good. My biggest grievance is the implication that the content is optional. If it adds overpowered weapons and turrets, it isn't optional. It becomes part of the balance meta and warps the progression. OOA does not belong in Terraria.

1.2.4 was the major fishing update.

Not only is an obsidian skin potion difficult to craft and usually to find, you need to grind out a nightmare pickaxe. That isn't even close to fishing's time frame. It usually takes me around 15-30 minutes to bag a reaver shark.

I suggest you try using explosives to mine, it's quicker than a pick-axe.

I have to admit, I find this particular comment hard to swallow. Porting content from another game isn't a "new feeling" and even if it was, Terraria needs to create its own new feelings, not copy-pasted content. The amount of content added does not make an update good. My biggest grievance is the implication that the content is optional. If it adds overpowered weapons and turrets, it isn't optional. It becomes part of the balance meta and warps the progression. OOA does not belong in Terraria.

The problem I've always had with fishing is that I can't be bothered to catch enough bait. So, unless I get the flower boots to farm bait easily, I'll usually just skip fishing altogether and mine everything I need instead. And as I said before, locking fishing loot behind bosses should do the trick to balance the more overpowered aspects of it.

Regarding OOA, I do agree that it needs some serious rebalancing, but I don't see why it's necessarily bad that it's from another game. We got some content from DD2, and DD2 got some Terraria content. I bet there's people in the DD2 fandom that feel the same way about the content they got as you do for 1.3.4. And I also bet there's people who love that content from both fandom. I also read the thread you wrote, and you really make some very good points about balance and the Summoner class. That's why, as i already said, I believe it needs rebalancing but not complete removal.Removing it altogether would just be too much. But, who knows? They did it for Ocram, they might do it again.

I'd make the tiers a bit more grounded and less easy to like... skip over.

Ore armors are a :red:ing joke, they're so goddamn expensive. Just run on over to the corruption with some bombs you found while mining for 15 minutes, break an orb, save a bomb for the demolitionist and get him to move it, and then buy some dynamite to destroy the meteor that falls. Then boom, ya got armor and tools that are good enough to defeat the WOF.

Back
Top Bottom