Was the zoologist design a bad idea?

KETER_STATE

The Destroyer
Dont get me wrong i love the idea of getting rewards from her and seeing the monsters that you killed but why a fox girl? i dont hate furrys or anything like that its just the fan art thats already coming out is going somewhere (I hope we all know where its going) but if you like it thats pefectly fine. i just dont like its design and is going to make people a little toxic over it. for instance rayman origins nymphs a huge risky design and a lot of people were nasty about it.

na, man, except for the pet license. now we have to BUY something to bring OUR pets into OUR town that WE made? that's just cruel.

I'm sure developers know exactly what they are doing when they add a character that has such a "compelling" design, the fanart and discussion of her is enough to get people talking about the game which leads to more attention to it and thus more sales. It's not like people haven't fawned over other NPCs in the game (dryad, lost girl/nymph). People are talking about her now because she's new but I imagine any major disagreements about it will be resolved/die out pretty quickly.

I'm sure developers know exactly what they are doing when they add a character that has such a "compelling" design, the fanart and discussion of her is enough to get people talking about the game which leads to more attention to it and thus more sales. It's not like people haven't fawned over other NPCs in the game (dryad, lost girl/nymph). People are talking about her now because she's new but I imagine any major disagreements about it will be resolved/die out pretty quickly.

I hope

For the people who are taking this the wrong way, it's really just their problem if they're going crazy over a pixellated character the size of their pinky finger who has a long green tongue she used to defend herself. (or at least that's what it looked like)
I personally am really looking forward to the addition of the zoologist because for some reason I just love pets even though they don't add anything to actual game progression. (my favourite is of course the mini minotaur)

It doesn't really seem like that bad of a problem. She isn't really a "furry" (human in an animal costume) but more of an actual animal. I don't really think we should think of her as a furry.
I also think that adding more non-human NPCs like the truffle and goblin tinkerer is a good idea.

It literally doesn't matter how they design a character, someone, somewhere, is gunna lewd it. even if it's like.... the Floaty Gross mob from the hardmode crimson for example.

They need lots of anime fan art with the dryad, but it seems that it died out over time, hopefully the anime art won’t become a major thing

The NPCs are designed in such a way that makes it very easy for players to decipher the services and items they provide at a glance, at least most of them. Outside of having an actual animal as an NPC (which would have been fine), or somehow making the zoologist NPC look like a zookeeper (also fine), I think the fact that the NPC is reminiscent of an animal very much indicates the services she provides. I don't think it was a mistake. Yes, it could have been different, and so could everything else have been different. The chest size also makes no discernible impact on the fanart, because as any seasoned forum-goer or social media follower knows, every single female NPC has had their fair share of fanart.

I would sincerely hope people don't get toxic about it, but it seems like most of the toxicity is raised about the fanart while simultaneously blaming it on the "furry" aspect of the NPC. I believe this is an argument in bad faith, and implies that the "furry" nature of the NPC is why it gets fanart, and not the fact that it's the first new female NPC we've had in quite a while, and is subject to the same treatment that every female NPC has had prior, as is the "controversy" surrounding certain NPCs and the art.

So in short, no, I do not think it was a mistake in the least. I think she's cute, and I think having an anthropomorphic NPC, especially that of a fox-like variety (which is very evocative of nature), is perfectly fine to demonstrate her services.

Back
Top Bottom