Weapons & Equip Cactus Armor

Should the full set of Cactus armor have the same effect as a thorns potion?

• OMG YES

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • sure

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • nah

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

AngryChicken

Eye of Cthulhu
I AM FINALLY NOT LAZY ENOUGH NOT TO SAY THIS!!!!!!!!!! (type whatever)

A full cactus armor set needs the same effects as the thorns potion. THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT (GOOD AFTERNOON) *or good morning*

I AM FINALLY NOT LAZY ENOUGH NOT TO SAY THIS!!!!!!!!!! (type whatever)

A full cactus armor set needs the same effects as the thorns potion. THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT (GOOD AFTERNOON) *or good morning*

Well what the hell. I'm against the idea of being able to have the thorns effect for just chopping down a tree reskin.

Cactus gear at this point is slighty OP.
75 Cactus for 5 defense total, 1 less defense point than Copper, wich is much harder to make.
Shares it's defensive value with Ebonwood and Shadewood, wich each provides the same Set Bonus (1 defense)
But, as we know, Cactus is much easier to get (and farm) requiring only finding a desert, or just enough sand for it to grow.
So considering all of this, adding the Thorns Potion Buff to it seems to be a very bad idea (on top of that, it renders the potion useless)

But what we can do with this armor?

I would add a different set bonus to make it a more unique armor:

For each piece, 1 defense
Wearing the full set grants you 10% increased damage, as well as a 3% chance to inflict Poisoned! to both the user and the receptor of an attack
This will make playthroughs very distinct, and more variety in choicing your starting gear

Cactus gear at this point is slighty OP.
75 Cactus for 5 defense total, 1 less defense point than Copper, wich is much harder to make.
Shares it's defensive value with Ebonwood and Shadewood, wich each provides the same Set Bonus (1 defense)
But, as we know, Cactus is much easier to get (and farm) requiring only finding a desert, or just enough sand for it to grow.
So considering all of this, adding the Thorns Potion Buff to it seems to be a very bad idea (on top of that, it renders the potion useless)

But what we can do with this armor?

I would add a different set bonus to make it a more unique armor:

For each piece, 1 defense
Wearing the full set grants you 10% increased damage, as well as a 3% chance to inflict Poisoned! to both the user and the receptor of an attack
This will make playthroughs very distinct, and more variety in choicing your starting gear
See, but who's gonna remove their Meteor stuffs to wear some cactus to get thorns(and a low 5 defense)?
And Even early game, 5 defense can be gotten from accessories, e.g. Warding Shackle
Cactus is meant to replace copper and iron for the speed runners who need defense and don't have time to mine.
So, adding the Thorns is logical. (Though Terraria is all about "screw logic")

In a sense, getting cactus is about the same challenge to get copper/iron.
To get copper, you need a lot of copper and around 15 iron ore. Not to hard.
To get cactus and ebon/shade wood, you have to explore 2 potentially dangerous biomes with mobs more powerful than you are, so surviving these rewards you equally.

And about farming cactus... By the time you've done that, you might as well keep the farm for the pink prickly pears, because that armor is only something to put on a mannequin.

Now about your fix...
10% increased damage? It works... this gets OP later, but as I said before, who's gonna get cactus for this?
3% chance to inflict Poisoned! To both the attacker and the defender
This is weird. 1) This debuff is the annoying debuff given by Dart Traps. It does little damage, and is an annoyance to the OCD freaks (me) who have less than max health. 2) It is not going to do major damage to anything unless fighting the common zombie or skeleton.

That's me trying my best to defend this suggestion... :p

Also, spelling errors.

(Whoops, forgot my support! 11/10!)

wait, it would hurt the user as well? isn't the point of armor to protect you from harm?
It's made of CACTUS. (i know, applying logic to Terraria is futile)
Just to balance it a bit.

longreply

Getting ore for making an armor set is not even close to just harvest it from a plant that grows on a single tile of sand. And yes, to get shade/ebon early, you need to get on those nasty biomes. So Cactus is at the same tier than these, aaaaaaaaand that's why at the moment it's slighty overpowered.
Also, who cares about speedrunners? If they dont like mining in Terraria, they dont like 47% of the entire game, so they can go screw themselves.

Adding Thorns to cactus is a very bad idea. Ultra early game armor with permanent Potion effect? No way
Personally, I think my suggestion fits better. A slight chance to being poisoned (and to poison your enemy) adds a interesting twist in how armors work early game. Instead of getting the most defense possible, you get a middle-defense (in its tier) with a soft penalty/reward mechanic.

To get copper, you need a lot of copper and around 15 iron ore. Not too hard.

Do you even Terraria, Bro?

I Terraria. I think. Idk.

I don't want to start an argument, and I don't wanna cause a commotion over a early game armor.
That's lame.

And yeah, getting copper and iron IS equivalent to getting some cactus. Iron and copper spawn on the surface.

Otherwise, I'll leave it at the common-

" u have ur oponion and i hav mien" -Unknown

It's made of CACTUS. (i know, applying logic to Terraria is futile)
Just to balance it a bit.
that doesn't make any sense, from both a real life perspective and a game-play perspective. If it's armor that was made to protect you, then it wouldn't have spikes on the inside. The armor you suggested didn't give any benefits that would justify occasionally poisoning the player, and if the poison effect is extremely rare and short, there wouldn't even be any reason to add it in the first place.

Also, the original suggestion was made at least three times already, and all three suggestions are much more balanced then this one.

I Terraria. I think. Idk.

I don't want to start an argument, and I don't wanna cause a commotion over a early game armor.
That's lame.

And yeah, getting copper and iron IS equivalent to getting some cactus. Iron and copper spawn on the surface.

Otherwise, I'll leave it at the common-

" u have ur oponion and i hav mien" -Unknown
See, but who's gonna remove their Meteor stuffs to wear some cactus to get thorns(and a low 5 defense)?
And Even early game, 5 defense can be gotten from accessories, e.g. Warding Shackle
Cactus is meant to replace copper and iron for the speed runners who need defense and don't have time to mine.
So, adding the Thorns is logical. (Though Terraria is all about "screw logic")

To get copper, you need a lot of copper and around 15 iron ore. Not to hard.
To get cactus and ebon/shade wood, you have to explore 2 potentially dangerous biomes with mobs more powerful than you are, so surviving these rewards you equally.

And about farming cactus... By the time you've done that, you might as well keep the farm for the pink prickly pears, because that armor is only something to put on a mannequin.

Now about your fix...
10% increased damage? It works... this gets OP later, but as I said before, who's gonna get cactus for this?
3% chance to inflict Poisoned! To both the attacker and the defender
This is weird. 1) This debuff is the annoying debuff given by Dart Traps. It does little damage, and is an annoyance to the OCD freaks (me) who have less than max health. 2) It is not going to do major damage to anything unless fighting the common zombie or skeleton.

That's me trying my best to defend this suggestion... :p

Also, spelling errors.

(Whoops, forgot my support! 11/10!)
thx for supporting me, it really means a lot... <3

It has the benefit of being a very easily obtaniable armor, having a decent defense value, and to balance on that, I suggested a risky/rewarding mechanic. Applying poison for 2-5 seconds is a minor annoyance when your enemy also has it.
The reward isn't worth the risk though...

It has the benefit of being a very easily obtaniable armor, having a decent defense value, and to balance on that, I suggested a risky/rewarding mechanic. Applying poison for 2-5 seconds is a minor annoyance when your enemy also has it.
You would might as well just get copper or wood armor at that rate bro

Back