PC [Project] Mechmod - A T-MEC community mod

@thejaxster, to counter, I am going to have to voice an opinion here, that I think aligns itself closely with the opinions of both moderators of this forum, and that is we would like to see a version of MechMod that serves purely as an engineering designing, troubleshooting, and build presentation aid. The recent trend to foray into map building copy/paste features, considerations towards differentiated player immunities, and an unnecessarily complicated/intrusive UI disturbs me. While simple things such as the ability to toggle wire colour specific opacities in-game have not been resolved, more fantastical features are being entertained. Why?

I don't want to undermine the efforts the authors of this mod, or devalue their contributions to T-MEC thus far, but if this mod cannot succinctly cater to engineering needs, how can it carry the title of "Mech"Mod?

That said, I get the general sense from the suggestions of community, and the combined statements of @five--three and @stefnotch, that there is a desire to push this mod into the direction of creative mode. Fine by me. Or rather not my decision. But please, a pared down, engineering version of this mod?

Last edited:
@inomanoms , I did say I want and like this mod for building. I personally would love a creative mode for building. I have used TEdit for building, but lots of times the builds still need to be tweaked in game. I don't see this as a cheat mod like some other patcher software on the forums. I'm not personally against the other mods, but this mod has been geared towards building in my view. Sure things may not be liked by everyone, but that is life. I haven't seen the UI as intrusive as you do( I actually just used it to use the copy/paste feature). I do like the toggle of the characters position even for just building to see if a mechanism is working as designed.

However, I do appreciate everyone's opinions and am glad to to be part of the T-MEC forums for all the work and shared knowledge that make Terraria a fantasticall game! I have seen many awesome kill machines here too. Amazing what gamers will come up with given the freedom. The builds in these forums are far greater than any of the youtuber videos I have seen, in fact I am fairly unimpressed with most of them because it seems they, well some, come and take ideas from the forums and don't give proper credit for what they have taken.enough of that rant...

I believe that the shared work and knowledge of unique builds/farms is what has made me stay interested, of course the Re-Logic team has continued building this game to make it what it is today. Thanks for your reply and keep the discussion going.

@ZeroGravitas , I think you have a great knowledge of the mechanics of Terraria, saying that, I do agree with @five--three and do not want a plain quote stable mod. This mod is unique and I really appreciate the long hard work they have done with it. I don't have the decompiled version of the exe and what has been done here makes quite a bit of sense for builders like me. Just chiming in with my two pennies :p

@thejaxster, to counter, I am going to have to voice an opinion here, that I think aligns itself closely with the opinions of both moderators of this forum, and that is we would like to see a version of MechMod that serves purely as an engineering designing, troubleshooting, and build presentation aid. The recent trend to foray into map building copy/paste features, considerations towards differentiated player immunities, and an unnecessarily complicated/intrusive UI disturbs me. While simple things such as the ability to toggle wire colour specific opacities in-game have not been resolved, more fantastical features are being entertained. Why?

I don't want to undermine the efforts the authors of this mod, or devalue their contributions to T-MEC thus far, but if this mod cannot succinctly cater to engineering needs, how can it carry the title of "Mech"Mod?

That said, I get the general sense from the suggestions of community, and the combined statements of @five--three and @stefnotch, that there is a desire to push this mod into the direction of creative mode. Fine by me. Or rather not my decision. But please, a pared down, engineering version of this mod?

First off, I'd like to say thank you all for being sensible about this debate. There are a ton of communities that are filled with toxic, intolerant people who think it's either their way or none. You guys are awesome :)

I definitely agree that the mod is heading towards a creativemode/building mod. That's ... sort of the point though. Part of our eventual aim is to replicate building tools and tricks to make things like TEdit nearly unnessecary (as far as wiring builds go) so that projects can be created, tested, tweaked and fiddled with easily and consistently without switching between two seperate programs. You say that you don't want a "creative mode", but then you build everything with TEdit anyway. Maybe I am just completely missing the point here - many features have been centered around the building of projects, not the usage or testing.
an unnecessarily complicated/intrusive UI disturbs me. While simple things such as the ability to toggle wire colour specific opacities in-game have not been resolved, more fantastical features are being entertained. Why?
How so? You still haven't told us at any stage why you don't like the UI. We don't have anything to work with. Personally, I think it fits really incely within the game and isn't obtrusive or intefering at all, but that's probably because I made the damn thing.

I like the wire specific opacities. It's useful (for me) to be able to easily see one wire color while being able to still see what each other wire color links to if I'm looking for it. It can be removed if you want it that much, but it's a thing that I thought other people would use too. Sorry for my misjudgement :confused:

When I get the time, I'll throw together a barebones screenlock/dummyghost only mod. After that, there'll be a couple more updates on the full Mechmod while we tie up loose ends and incomplete features, but if you guys don't want any more silly overflashy feature updates, I'll move over to a different project.

Last edited:
I definitely agree that the mod is heading towards a creativemode/building mod. That's ... sort of the point though. Part of our eventual aim is to replicate building tools and tricks to make things like TEdit nearly unnessecary (as far as wiring builds go) so that projects can be created, tested, tweaked and fiddled with easily and consistently without switching between two seperate programs. You say that you don't want a "creative mode", but then you build everything with TEdit anyway. Maybe I am just completely missing the point here - many features have been centered around the building of projects, not the usage or testing.

To what extent someone chooses to use TEdit is their perogative. My idea of an engineering mod of Terraria centers around being able to test and analyze structures in a way that I believe Terraria should... had engineering been a fleshed out aspect of the game, and hoiktronics a planned part of that. If many features have been centered around the building of projects, I have only ever used MechMod for its welcomingly essential features of ghost dummy visablilty and slo-mo troubleshooting (as an upcoming thread post on shark hoiking can attest to). So yes, I would use MechMod for engineering purposes while building mechanisms totally from scratch in-game.

You have a very strong point though: that many of the technical builds are insane to create without a map editor. In such a case, I can only ask, where you plan to draw the line between being a full-blown map editor and a mechanical engineering mod. If it grows to the extent that the capabilities of the mod allow you place vanity furniture and paint blocks the way you can in TEdit or Gameiki, you've lost the engineering bias of the mod. And at that point I don't know if I could endorse it as the "official T-MEC community mod", (not that I, not being a moderator of this forum, would have any ability to do so in the first place).

Either way, you should build the mod that you want the way you want. I will try out the copy and paste feature to see how it sits with me. As for the suggestions on UI...
I was working on that. It was probably not smart of me to pin that down as a point of criticism when I don't come to the table with any suggestions.

MechMod currently seems very exiting and experimental. That's fine and dandy for a beta (test) version, but is there a chance you could supply a totally 'stable' version too. I mean, as (relatively) rock solid as the base game, even if you have to leave out half, or even most of the coolest features. I might even go as far as to suggest the possibility of a separate fork of the mod, a 'MechMod Lite', if you will. There seems like a lot of clever coding in there (e.g. for the copy-paste, wire highlighting, etc) which is very nifty, but not of totally unique utility, compared with the killer app of screen stabalisation. (E.g. TEdit can mostly do one's heavy map editing if needed.) Perhaps that (+ screen scroll), + toggling off teleporter annoyances, + viewing dummy ghosts on their own, might be all it takes to make a great, simple, robust mod, say "MechMod Comfort" (or something that sounds less like a sanitary product)...
is2jUTS.png

First of all, thanks for taking interest in our mod! :D (The logo looks pretty good already. :D )

Most of the time, our changes/bugs are "hidden" behind some toggles. That means, it is perfectly stable and normal until you enable some features! :D
e.g.
Source code:
Code:
if(someCondition){
  //Place a block
}

Edited: (|| stands for or)
Code:
if(someCondition || noLimits){
  //Place a block
}

P.S. A minimal version of the mod seems to be a great idea! (I doubt that you really need copy-pasting when making videos...)
[DOUBLEPOST=1456648511,1456647935][/DOUBLEPOST]
To what extent someone chooses to use TEdit is their perogative. My idea of an engineering mod of Terraria centers around being able to test and analyze structures in a way that I believe Terraria should... had engineering been a fleshed out aspect of the game, and hoiktronics a planned part of that. If many features have been centered around the building of projects, I have only ever used MechMod for its welcomingly essential features of ghost dummy visablilty and slo-mo troubleshooting (as an upcoming thread post on shark hoiking can attest to). So yes, I would use MechMod for engineering purposes while building mechanisms totally from scratch in-game.

You have a very strong point though: that many of the technical builds are insane to create without a map editor. In such a case, I can only ask, where you plan to draw the line between being a full-blown map editor and a mechanical engineering mod. If it grows to the extent that the capabilities of the mod allow you place vanity furniture and paint blocks the way you can in TEdit or Gameiki, you've lost the engineering bias of the mod. And at that point I don't know if I could endorse it as the "official T-MEC community mod", (not that I, not being a moderator of this forum, would have any ability to do so in the first place).

Either way, you should build the mod that you want the way you want. I will try out the copy and paste feature to see how it sits with me. As for the suggestions on UI...
I was working on that. It was probably not smart of me to pin that down as a point of criticism when I don't come to the table with any suggestions.

Well, would it be alright if parts of the mod are separated, but still in one mod?
i.e. Copy-pasting (and a few more map editing features) have their own UI, toggles and such stay in the menu and @five--three's (awesome) bar can be enabled and disabled at will?

If yes, how should they be separated? :D

About a slimmed down version for our awesome YouTubers, should we post that in the Mods section of the forum? :D

Last edited:
First off, I'd like to say thank you all for being sensible about this debate.
This. Definitely. Thank you especially mod developers for taking all comments on-board in an entirely well balanced and even tempered manner. I've certainly experienced middle aged adults, in other games, totally loose it over trivial critique of their way of playing or doing things, so it's very refreshing that the Terraria community seems to be pretty much a total chill-zone. :cool::happy:
Now, reconsidering how it's probably being used, I'll probably change that.
When I get the time, I'll throw together a barebones screenlock/dummyghost only mod. After that, there'll be a couple more updates on the full Mechmod while we tie up loose ends and incomplete features
Ok, ok. What I'd personally like for you guys to do, for the moment, is not to do any massive about-turns. Mostly just carry onto the next step of whatever you were up to, and have this discussion hopefully help to steer the direction that you point towards thereafter. I think a somewhat 'over damped' response would be better than yo-yo'ing, springing back and forth (or shooting off in another direction entirely).

There's going to be at least as much of getting me up to speed with your world here, as taking on board any of my observations and inclinations. This dialogue is hopefully good for bridging the gap between you coders and us users. Helping us to appreciate what you have actually done and what you are (kindly) giving us. Short of seeing a log of your hours, it's kind of hard for me to know the lengths that have been gone to (even with a pretty good grasp on the game and a little familiarity with coding and software development). I think the scale of your efforts are almost entirely unperceived by us, out here. A lot of private communication (and administration) must be happening, aside from the 'actual work', itself. It's kind of a shame that's invisible, especially as it's all unpaid too! :confused: So thanks, again.

Also, it's nearly impossible for us (code illiterate) users to know the implications of what it means to be using a "mod". I mean, just to get it to de-compile, re-compile and run, you've had to make edits to 'fix' bugs, right? Even without added features or tweaks it would be very slightly different code to the original, that couldn't be 100% guaranteed to *always* behave exactly the same under matching circumstances. So once you actually started grafting in significant new features, and making fixes to any issues arising, there's probably going to be fairly notable changes to how the game runs, in some places.

This might sound like a somewhat semantic point to you guys, but aside from fussy old players like me, a lot of more naive users might not realise that there might be any knock-on effects from the mod's features. Like mob spawning conditions, incorrect location of avatar icon on map, etc, etc, keyed off screen position, rather than player's true position... But I think we need to think carefully about what wants doing with this in particular; lock screen position doesn't seem especially weird at the moment. So, I think there should be some (simple) informative warnings summarising roughly what (unexpected) ways gaming experience may be altered (or not altered). In the top post of this thread. Potentially in-game itself (but probably not, as it might make too much clutter).

It's unfortunate that (un)locking screen scroll has so many and various impacts throughout the code, as it is (in my experience) such a key feature. It does make my griping about other potential (unknowable) knock-on issues from your other features seem a little silly, perhaps... Though again, those not seeing the code changes can't really gauge this... Maybe for deciding what features stay in a MechModMini version, it should be a case of drawing up a table listing desirability of features verses potential for undesirable effects...? So, wiring highlighting is fairly cool and very 'safe' (and so kept), where-as map copying is extremely risky, and tricky to use (so excluded). Those in the know would have to decide this, on balance; ultimately you should know best.

And when I've said " 'stable' ", I don't mean to say that what you have made is broken, or half-arsed at all. On the contrary; I'm very impressed with the quality of finish!:passionate:(I've bought and played a number of full Steam games that were broken, and MechMod is not broken.) It's more about the emergent possibilities that new features produce and the scope for creating problems.

A lot of what MechMod has done, so far, is to bridge oversights of the Terraria devs, regarding implications and advanced usage of our certain aspects of interest...
My idea of an engineering mod of Terraria centers around being able to test and analyze structures in a way that I believe Terraria should... had engineering been a fleshed out aspect of the game, and hoiktronics a planned part of that.
... What I'm most wary of is the risk of over-reaching to the point of creating a lot more new, potential issues than what is being solved. Copy-pasting sections of map in-game is *massively* ambitious. Kudos for making it work at all, but it's a huge thing to implement and it's currently trivial to very quickly mess up a world with it (and also to crash the game, e.g. copy-paste entire world!). I think this has great potential, who wouldn't want to be able to shuffle over part of a build by a tile or 2, rather than rebuild (or exit out to load TEdit), etc, etc. But it needs a large amount of discussion as to how to refine it, and should maybe never be accessible without explicitly acknowledging some fairly pointed warning messages...

With less EPIC features, it's more about your on-going process of trying to make the interface ever-more streamlined, trying to be as brutal as possible excluding unnecessary options, folding features in together where ever possible, etc. You know how that was supposedly part of the main brilliance of Steve Job's Apple: what *doesn't* get included. I've never been a fanboy myself, and couldn't believe iPhones did not have copy/paste functionality (at one point), but that can be the scale of self-restraint needed to hit the usability sweet-spot. This being said, the target demographic here (with MechMod) is tech-heads...
[...]why you don't like the UI. [...] Personally, I think it fits really nicely within the game and isn't obtrusive
I, personally am pretty impressed with how integrated all the Mechmod options are within the game, in the same style as existing settings and such. However, I think that @inomanoms, like myself, is a pretty sensitive instrument, naturally zooming in a lot on details. Overall, I think you're good, and seem to take pains already over design, but there's always room for improvements and a little tidying up here and there.

Well, would it be alright if parts of the mod are separated, but still in one mod?
That might well be one option - to have an "advanced" mode, with more detailed options/controls, opening up from a more limited, simple set with defaults and such locked down. This would probably be a pretty decent way to limit the unforeseen consequences of accidental user mis-use of powerful additions, and could keep 'unnecessary' features out of the way, but I don't know how much it would eliminate the more fine grained changes to game behavior (as talked about above). If you've had to add a check to see if a feature is enabled, that already a change...?
do not want a plain quote stable mod.
It takes users away from what I consider the real mod, the one that we've poured our time into, and pushes the impression that the complete version is in fact buggy and likely to detonate your dynamite when you don't want it to.
Lovely turn of phrase! :DI think most of your incoming users would probably lean towards the 'full fat' version, anyway. And it would be up to you guys how you word the description of each (potential) version. Calling a lesser one 'lite' implies it is the deviant, cut-down one... But I'm not saying this is definitely the way to go. Especially if it means doubling up on publishing efforts for each update/patch. It may be asking too much, realistically.

I do think we need to keep re-assessing what your lovely mod is, as you move forwards, and a line might need to be drawn, and a split made, if you are moving into the realms of a full-on general purpose creative mode.
at that point I don't know if I could endorse it as the "official T-MEC community mod", (not that I, not being a moderator of this forum, would have any ability to do so in the first place).
You have much ability, you have a MechMod badge in your signature, displayed everywhere that you comment. :p;)

This discussion group was created as a stand-in for an official wiring sub-forum, as it seems to continue to be. So I feel a duty to be as official as possible and as true to the base game as possible. I don't see any untenable departures from that with MechMod, so far, but would like to keep this in mind, and continue to avoid making something that is essentially a different game. I see MechMod as a set of tools for better understanding, designing and building contraptions that are fun, useful or generally amazing when used within the base game.

Whether or not one will always run the modded version, whenever playing, is a tricky issue... I don't like to have a 'god mode' button right there at my fingertips during regular play. Distracting. A players 'suspension of disbelief is a very subtle and delicate phenomenon. It's very easy to suddenly loose all motivation to play a game. I've generally always made a point to never look up cheat codes, in the past, until I'd exhausted the fun and was about to give up anyway (or was hopelessly stuck). For me, I had a little waver of this feeling when playing with MechMod's UFO speed adjustment. It's hard to say exactly what that feeling was, but the game suddenly stated to feel a little arbitrary (and pointless). It's fairly clever idea/feature, and almost certainly this won't trigger other users in the same way. But bear in mind, maybe. Very tricky issue.

I think there needs to be some psychological walling off of normal play from MechMod usage. I'm keen to see @five--three 's new interface feature, whether there will be a permanent symbol/watermark on display at all times that the mod is running (I would like). To make it clear in user's videos, and mentally, for users experience.

Also, this might be a big ask, as well as being controversial, but what about Steam achievements...? Is it even feasible to disable attaining them while MechMod is active, say? I've accidentally triggered achievements when popping into old worlds with my old character, and felt robbed...

Also, also, MechMod is not a cheat engine, and we don't really want it to be used in lieu of one. So what ways can we gently discourage it's use as such? Like tweaking 'God mode' to be like more of a 'ghost mode' - invulnerable, to safely AFK experimental setups, but also unable to interact with the world... If adhering fairly strictly to an explicitly state remit, then (silly as this may sound) none of the features should be directly for fun (of e.g. making bosses insta-dead with an infinite damage ray)... A bit of a thin line to walk.

You might add part, parts, re-phased, or none of a statement like this to an "About" section of mod or the top of this thread (I make it sound painfully dull, so up to you guys!:p;)):
"MechMod is the official T-MEC community Terraria mod, created to boost the understanding of, aid the creation of, and ease the use of advanced wiring and other mechanical creations while in-game. It is not a cheat engine or content mod. Game behavior may be subtly changed while using this mod, despite best intentions."

//end of waffling for another today!

@ZeroGravitas, you and @DicemanX are the moderators of the T-MEC forums obviously. You both have achieved many awesome things and are the biggest reasons I joined the T-MEC group.

You can dictate what you want in this group, but here is where I see a problem in my opinion: Having a badge or logo in your signature doesn't give you any write to suggest your input is anyway more valuable than another. I have put many hour in my own projects(IRL) to help others enjoy a project / subject / game. It is easy for someone to start negatively criticizing a project because it isn't what THEY envisioned it as. I don't have a problem with suggestion as it is what keeps projects inspired for continual improvement. That's why I say keep the discussion going. I don't know what discussion was prompted for the mod to be placed in this group versus another of Terraria's groups or another forum completely. I am glad it is here and shared. I have no affiliation with the mod other than a newb user of it. Even though I am a newb at MechMod usage, I have logged many hours in Terraria for PC and probably double of that in the Xbox consoles with a tad in mobile. A lot of my builds are for personal gratification to see what can be done within the game. I see the MechMod tool as a way to be more efficient at builds, art and discovery. I personally do not see it as ONLY a engineering tool. Building is not always a engineering task, sometimes it is a way to make art. My builds sometimes are a way to test if something works so I can replicate it on the Console or Mobile versions of this awesome game.

I don't mean to say you are disparagingly anyone with yours or others comments. It seems in my opinion that some of the comments recently can be taken this way though with the comment of a badge gives you any right. Sorry if this offends but that just seemed crazy to me. I promote through discussion the items/techniques I see are a value added process in Terraria as I do in any other endeavor I see gratifying to me. If it is suggested we add the logos/badges to the signatures to items we like, I think that is a great idea. Just because I don't have it on mine doesn't mean I don't see the projects value or I assert any rights to do so.

My thoughts are that the OP is the source for latest releases and technical use and know-how. Following posts should be used as suggestions and issues or for giving thanks to the modder/codder/creator.

These are my opinions and I feel strongly enough that I decided to share them. I have not shared these feelings with any PM's and have no affiliation with the coders of this mod. I hope it continues as it has and continues to be an inspiration to those who love the game not only for engineering purposes.

. It seems in my opinion that some of the comments recently can be taken this way though with the comment of a badge gives you any right.

Uhh... I gotta ask if you are referring to me, because the only reason I currently have the MechMod "badge" in my signature, is because we were testing out what would look as a banner on T-MEC's front page. :p I also think you're misinterpreting what Zero says when he tells me "You have much ability, you have a MechMod badge in your signature, displayed everywhere that you comment." He doesn't mean that with the badge I now have some authority of MechMod that I didn't before, as much as that I should be careful of making statements that convince someone that I do (while wearing the badge).

I don't know what discussion was prompted for the mod to be placed in this group versus another of Terraria's groups or another forum completely... . I personally do not see it as ONLY a engineering tool.

MechMod, formerly MEFBAEA, was "born" on this forum, not moved to it, and not moved away from it between name changes. I don't know prompted its authors to house it here, but here is where it has been developed for some time, with the input of this forum's tech-minded members, and the benefit of the publicity in Joe's videos. Facts.

I think you may be misunderstanding my criticisms as an attempt to pigeon-hole MechMod into a purely engineering-focused mod. In its earliest program statement, this mod declared itself as a creative-mode, yet engineering engendering Mod. I am simply putting into question the reach of the authors' intentions, and a request to have an engineering dedicated version of the mod, that is cleanly executed and based on the awesome engineering design and mechanism troubleshooting capabilities which so far have been the staple of this mod. It's my opinion, that in order to be successful, this mod needs to wrap up particular goals before it goes on to attempt to be an all encompassing builder's mod. And finally, I am wondering to what extent the T-MEC identity should be tied to this project depending on what develops to be.

Last edited:
I don't want this to be a pissing match, but I feel strong enough about it to state my opinion on the matter of the future of this mod, MechMod

Uhh... I gotta ask if you are referring to me, because the only reason I currently have the MechMod "badge" in my signature, is because we were testing out what would look as a banner on T-MEC's front page. :p I also think you're misinterpreting what Zero says when he tells me "You have much ability, you have a MechMod badge in your signature, displayed everywhere that you comment." He doesn't mean that with the badge I now have some authority of MechMod that I didn't before, as much as that I should be careful of making statements that convince someone that I do (while wearing the badge).
I obviously was referring to @ZeroGravitas 's quote. I give you credit that you have insight to the intricacy of the game, but I stand by my statement It does NOT give you any right because you have T-MEC or MechMod in your signature. A signature only gives you credit of creating the signature.

MechMod, formerly MEFBAEA, was "born" on this forum, not moved to it, and not moved away from it between name changes. I don't know prompted its authors to house it here, but here is where it has been developed for some time, with the input of this forum's tech-minded members, and the benefit of the publicity in Joe's videos. Facts.
Of course Joe's videos of the showing the ability of the MechMod probably has helped the mod be more public. Tech-minded memebers should not be "pigeon-hole" as only engineering type members. Joe's publicity in his videos aren't necessarily a benefit FACT considering his number of follwers on youtube. When I say this, I'm stating that his number of followers and Richard's followers are quite low in my opinion for the amount of content they provide in their videos and documentation. I think they should be much higher. Even @Yrimir has promoted their works with hoiks! Artists and others use tech for their benefit. Of the 399 members, I'm sure not all are only builders for engineering purpose.

I think you may be misunderstanding my criticisms as an attempt to pigeon-hole MechMod into a purely engineering-focused mod. In its earliest program statement, this mod declared itself as a creative-mode, yet engineering engendering Mod. I am simply putting into question the reach of the authors' intentions, and a request to have an engineering dedicated version of the mod, that is cleanly executed and based on the awesome engineering design and mechanism troubleshooting capabilities which so far have been the staple of this mod. It's my opinion, that in order to be successful, this mod needs to wrap up particular goals before it goes on to attempt to be an all encompassing builder's mod. And finally, I am wondering to what extent the T-MEC identity should be tied to this project depending on what develops to be.
I will use this mod as a "creative mode type" tool. I have no right to question your opinions or suggestions. It is the "criticism" that I see, it seems to discourage a great work that I have issue with and question. I have not put any work in this mod yet I feel part of it because of the way this thread has made it for us all. I encourage discussion but not negative criticism, maybe you ( @inomanoms ) should consider your tone of comment on how it was taken by others. If the creators of the mod or moderators wish me not to voice my concern, I will say no more.

Last edited:
@thejaxster - sorry that what I said was unclear (I made a big post and I was tired, as is common). When I said:
You have much ability, you have a MechMod badge in your signature, displayed everywhere that you comment. :p;)
I meant, much ability to "endorse". As in support it, promote it, lend the weight of one's works and comments on this forum to draw attention to this exciting project.

I would say that only those actually coding the mod have any real 'right' to control it's content and function. Things like this should always ultimately come down to those at the coal face. It's their (your) choice as to who's desires to cater for.

In soliciting "suggestions", one is (I think) asking for suggested refinements as well as additions. I think that the tone of all comments (everywhere, in general) should be read as level-headed, unless they are *explicit* about intended emotional state. Criticism should ideally be read as critique, only ever a suggestion, an opinion, or even just a thought, never a demand. Being better known, more prolific, or whatever, asserts no direct rights but might turn the developers head more, I don't know.

In pushing in the possible direction of minimalism, refinement, consolidation, I'm trying to add a positive influence to help motivate an ever higher level of polish to something that I think is already very good. With voluntary projects, things done just for 'fun', I know that applying finishing touches can be very difficult to do, as excitement becomes somewhat exhausted after the broad strokes are in place. Helpful/positive should not always mean additional. Only ever adding more would lead to disaster.

Also, personally, whilst I find "brilliant", "amazing" comments gratifying, a total lack of any critique on something I've made is very disappointing for me. I guess it devalues the 'positive', draining meaning from them and leaving a numbness. So critique is love, from me, anyway. And while I make a special effort to round my comments, starting out by re-affirming what I liked, before getting down to the nitty-gritty, comments without a 'sugar coating' should hopefully still be taken as non-negative, even if tone is ambiguous. :sigh::)

Regarding T-MEC moderation: I certainly don't intend to use a position of (very limited) power as leverage for my opinions. I'm only going to ask nicely that posters treat this as a wiring/mechanical sub-forum, keeping things somewhat tidy and at least loosely relevant (and not break any TCF regulations). If I say that I think "Mechmod" should ideally remain on-topic while it lives here, this is certainly not a threat. There's a lot of wriggle room with most things here.:)

Ok, so to some specific suggestions for the documentation in the OP of this thread:
  • "Settings" section should perhaps say "Settings - As laid out in game (main) menu." to make it very clear to newbs what you are listing.
  • "Slowmotion Settings" should include a note that the speed set does not take effect until the slow motion mode is activated with the keyboard shortcut "o". This confused me to start with.
  • "Summon" - ideally there would be a list (or link to a list) of summon-able entities (mobs, bosses, etc). Ditto for giving inventory items, if that is staying in, as fully open ended (maybe a little caution as to what can be obtained ;)).
These are, unless your next update is going to make these points obsolete. (Wouldn't it be cool to have a graphical sub-menu, in-game, of which boss to summon, etc, by image. But way too much work, I think. And maybe a quick repeat last summon command, etc.)

@thejaxster Don't worry, all of you are really important! You guys are the ones that gave us a ton of great suggestions! :D (And also criticized parts of it. But that just ended up making everything nicer and better! :D )

@ZeroGravitas That is a huge post. (But thanks anyways! :D)

First of all, I guess we should get the current features done and polished before adding even more stuff. Especially now, since the 1.3.1 update is going to come soon. (@inomanoms, some great ideas/critique please?)

About it subtly changing Terraria, it shouldn't do any of that unless we seriously screw up. (Good news! :D) Luckily, Terraria is separated in a bunch of folders and files. So, as long as you just mess around with the item file, you can be sure that the mobs won't get affected. And those files are separated in a bunch of functions. e.g.
Code:
Main.tile[x, y].CopyFrom(Main.tile[x, y]);
(But, stuff like screen position changing isn't as simple and easy...)

Oh, I totally forgot about the Steam achievements. We are going to disable them! :D About playing with the mod not being fun, I am pretty sure that problem solves itself. Adding some text to remind the users that this isn't intended for a play-through would be a great idea though! (Some people, including me, constantly need to be reminded of stuff. :p )
@five--three's new feature will be enabled at all times, I think. (Unless somebody wants yet another toggle. Though, I am assuming that @inomanoms would talk us out of adding too much to the menu! :D )
I guess that would be a decent reason to disable multiplayer, or at least make the user have to do a bit of work to get it to work. (Maybe a custom server.exe file?) (Being alone while cheating is way less fun than to do it on a server.)

The /give command should get improved someday. (I already got an idea for that!) I already made a note for myself/@five--three to add the other few great suggestions.

I personally think that this mod should add something like a engineering-creative mode to Terraria. Another goal is to make the mod simple and nice enough so that somebody that needs a manual to start the PC can use it without any problems!

P.S.
Maybe, as one of the creators of Mechmod, I should feature that mod in my signature.

Wow guys! Very lively conversation happening here. I've been away for a couple of day's so I'll try to catch up and make some comments. I won't be quoting anything due to the massive amounts of text here :D

Most of these are in reply to Zero's massive post, but I'm also adressing the general feelings in the thread

So. First off, on the subject of cheating:
I really understand what you're saying hereyou here. The cheats menu was just something that we felt like putting in, and I made a comment previously about removing it but didn't actually live up to it. I'll remove it now. In my mind, Mechmod is designed to be played all the time, not just when building. The cheats menu did kind of completely destroy this. On this topic, I might take a look at the settings menu as a whole and see if anything 'violates' this. I should have put some mroe thought into this before ... but thanks!
Secondly, on the subject of random/strange alterations to game behaviour:
This ... isn't really a thing that should be happening, or even a thing that is happening. I really think you're overestimating how messy/nasty the Terraria source and/or coding in general is. Changing one thing doesn't affect thousands of other little things, unless we want it to. When I said "the screen position is directly referenced blah blah and is a bit weird somtimes" I was more referring to zooming (which is a pretty good example of a broken feature, but it's hidden behind a relatively obscure command. note: if you don't use zooming, it doesn't affect your game), and really shouldn't have said it the way I did. The only reason that things like map position are off is because, well, screenlocking is a half-arsed feature. We haven't changed it in the slightest since it was first written back in the days of Mefbaea, which we really should. These are just regular bugs that we introduced ourselves; again, if you don't use the feature, you won't see the bugs (most of the time, they're fixed relatively quickly after being discovered).
Also, I'd just like to point out: I haven't used or tested @stefnotch's tile-copy myself, but you're underestimating it's stability. All it does it make an exact copy of each tile in the source area. This procedure doesn't do anything even remotely unsafe like buffer copying or memory pointers, and in no way will blowupyourcomputer! Heck, it's used by Terraria itself when loading the world or loading chunks from the server. In terms of time, it's a O(n) function (meaning that the time used is direcly relative to the size of the area copying) and in terms of memory it's O(1) (meaning that the memory used is constant (and in this case, tiny) no matter the size of the area copied). I hope that that dispells your fears of using it.
Also, the minimal version & overall direction of Mechmod:
I'm understanding what you're suggesting more now. I'll wait until the discussion is settled a bit before committing to anything, but a minimal mod sounds pretty good. As @stefnotch has pointed out, you can basically just ignore things that you don't want to use and the experience is still the same ... but to each their own.
As I briefly said in the Cheats paragraph, I'll be taking a look at features of the mod and removing/redesigning things that are too cheat-y. I am intending this mod to be played over the base game rather then alongside. If I can, I'll retract (or more modify) my previous statement about replacing TEdit: Mechmod is (now) intended to be a less cheaty alternative to TEdit. TEdit allows anything to be added, anything to be placed etc. It's basically creative mode. Mechmod, with a combination of the wiring features, ruler auto-placing (nb: this will require and consume the appropriate blocks), et cetera (what else?) will allow you to quickly whip up a build in-game in a similar manner to TEdit itself.
Again, this won't be a replacement, but an alternative. TEdit will still probably be more useful for big things, or for those who just rather doing it that way. This building aspect of the mod is not a creative mode, it's intended to help ingame engineering. If you don't want to use it, there's nothing forcing you to and you can still make use of Mechmod's other features for testing builds. In fact, currently I'm testing the possibility of a Save world / Reload world action to make using TEdit easier.
Lastly, about the hotbar:
The hotbar can be enabled/disabled at will (don't worry, I didn't fill the menu with 14 options this time, so it doesn't look too bad). I'm not sure about what the default setting for this should be (anyone?), so that's undecided for now, but by default (on first boot-up of the game for new users) the first four slots contain Screenlock, Wire highlight, Slowmotion and Pause. I'm not sure if I've said already, but these 4 slots are mapped to hotkeys, meaning that if you disable the hotbar, you'll have the exact same experience as before.
Whew ... I've typed more words than code for this mod recently ... better get back to work :p

@ZeroGravitas That is a huge post. (But thanks anyways! :D)
Whew ... I've typed more words than code for this mod recently ...
Yeah, sorry, I honestly don't set out to be verbose, it just happens naturally :naughty:. And sorry about any turbulence in the wake of all that too.:sigh:
The cheats menu [...] I'll remove it now.
You could leave (some) controversial or non-core features tucked away as chat line commands... So they are there for those desperate to have them still. Perhaps undocumented, or in the small print. But that wouldn't stop it being a distraction for those who know what lurks beneath.
This is one option for some things, I guess, tucked behind an 'advanced' or 'experimental' mode enable toggle, of some kind.
I haven't used or tested @stefnotch's tile-copy myself, but you're underestimating it's stability.
It was more stable than I expected, to be sure. It didn't crash the game outright until I selected the whole world and attempted to copy it over a few tiles to the right. At the very least I think the maximum selectable size of area to be copied should be restricted. Possibly selecting copy area using map view should not be an option at all (as clever as this feature is). But code stability (and loosing progress in a crash) isn't my worry with this feature, it's making major undesirable changes to one's world file, when there is no undo option, and no backup o fall back to (once you exit out with save).

Using the same area select system as for camera mode is reasonable, but I've found that camera selection tool very clumsey as it is. Then, since one can't see exactly where what you've copied is going to land until you've committed to pasting, it's already too late once you've done it. I'm thinking you would need to add a *lot* more original coding to make this feature comfortably usable (to my liking). I don't know if a block silhouette preview would be fairly do-able, or how much it would help in all situations. Maybe just continuing to highlight the area being copied and pre-highlighting the area to be copied to would help a lot...? Regardless of this, there's still all the issues with select copying you get in TEdit: contents of chests, item frames, etc are not copied over, so can easily loose all your precious items. A half copied (over) chest also makes an infinite chest glitch, and all kinda of other edge effects I've not experimented properly with it as yet. Like I've said, an exciting feature, but seemingly not ready for mass consumption at the moment.
Changing one thing doesn't affect thousands of other little things
Yeah, you have re-assured me a little, and I wasn't expecting any unintentional changes, particularly. It's just one of those things that I imagine would be virtually impossible to bet your life on that no one little thing somewhere hasn't gone a little bit weird when there's no good reason... But then, this is just a game, not the control software for a fighter jet that has to be provably sound. So I'll shut up about this. ;)
Mechmod is (now) intended to be a less cheaty alternative to TEdit.
I can climb aboard that train.
Save world / Reload world action to make using TEdit easier.
You mean, to avoid needing to quit out of a world before Tediting it? Would that then have to disable auto-save? Is that strictly worth while, I mean, what would be the benefit over exiting out, a couple of seconds?
the hotbar: [...] the first four slots contain Screenlock, Wire highlight, Slowmotion and Pause.
Ok, sounds good. I am keen to see this in action! :) I'm currently imagining a Mechmod cog in the bottom right corner, with the shortcuts expanding out to the left of it... I imagine the cog always being visible there, but a faint watermark when it (and all features) are disabled (just to remind that the game exe is the modified one). Then have it brightly visible when enabled, with the default shortcuts besides it, but collapse-able/expandable. The screen-lock button would double as an indicator, (forcibly) appearing when screen is locked, so you can easily click it off/away. The slow-mo button/indicator would display the currently selected frame rate (or is it divide ratio?), and again pop-up/highlight when on. Pause might be integrated into/over the slow-mo control....? All easy to just spout on about, but coding custom UI is, i expect, another matter! :confused:

If we're talking about cutting down on options/streamlining, then wire visibility is, perhaps an obvious choice to try simplifying... I might suggest that wire highlighting is just on whenever mechmod is enabled. Being able to quickly see where wires go through dark areas is just a handy convenience, not especially cheaty. Then, perhaps, make holding each colour wrench highlight all the wires of that colour (making the other colour wires 50% transparent), unless you hover a specific wire, in which case it highlights just that length. Have cutters fully illuminate everything cuttable, until you hover a wire, and then just highlight the length of the wire you have selected (so at over-lap points, that would be green first, blue, then red on successive cuts...). I don't know if other people would still want the option menu sliders, for making single wire colour screenshots? But if wrench-holding for colour highlighting isn't sufficient, then maybe a 3 (or 7) way toggle (each colour all the way on or off) would be sufficient...?

I just think these enhancements would be cool integrated right into the game experience as far as possible, totally circumventing menu usage. We may have to see if basic 1.3.1 has overhauled anything like this already, though... Like a multi-wrench for all 4 colour wires, or something. A colour selectable cutter might be handy, if not added, especially in combination with smart-cursor (if that wouldn't be too tricky to code in, and use).

As for adding features, I was thinking of something that might indicate a few things, perhaps a special custom item, like a MecMod PDA (or integrated into the exisint Cell phone), a kind of 'tri-corder' diagnostic tool, that gives a (continual) read-out of your current biome(s!), fishing biome, active spawn rate...Other stuff....? I'll stop there for now.

Last edited:
I like that idea of the cog! It could be used to open the menu as well? :D

Yeah, the copy-pasting isn't exactly done yet.

And, about the really cheaty features, can they also be hidden behind a toggle? (I like godmode way too much. :p ) (A toggle with a warning? And the cog turns red?)

I like that idea of the cog! It could be used to open the menu as well? :D

Yeah, the copy-pasting isn't exactly done yet.

And, about the really cheaty features, can they also be hidden behind a toggle? (I like godmode way too much. :p ) (A toggle with a warning? And the cog turns red?)

Just to make it clear, maybe a red "G" by the cog if not too hard to show that it is in god mode.

Edit: maybe change the cog image to a "G" when in god mode.

Last edited:
I like godmode way too much.
What things do you (most) like doing when using Godmode? @thejaxster too (as you seem interested).
maybe change the cog image to a "G" when in god mode
I think it would be better not to modify the main cog icon for individual function states, since there are a lot of different things that can be on/off. Thats why i was thinking of buttons beside the cog. Each enabled feature could be an extra translucent) icon added there, like player buffs are (in the opposite corner). Or, at the risk of being messy and over-complicated, have each sub-feature/menu off a spoke of the cog logo... Or just evenly spaced in a circle around it... (I think too messy/fiddly. Better keep things simplest to start with.)

What things do you (most) like doing when using Godmode? @thejaxster too (as you seem interested).

I think it would be better not to modify the main cog icon for individual function states, since there are a lot of different things that can be on/off. Thats why i was thinking of buttons beside the cog. Each enabled feature could be an extra translucent) icon added there, like player buffs are (in the opposite corner). Or, at the risk of being messy and over-complicated, have each sub-feature/menu off a spoke of the cog logo... Or just evenly spaced in a circle around it... (I think too messy/fiddly. Better keep things simplest to start with.)

Honestly, I love building in hard mode. It is when I seem to have ideas come up and I can work on them without too much interruption. Having a god mode or infinite health stops the pesky NPC's from beating you up while doing in-game builds.

I was suggesting the cog area or cog itself to make it explicit that god mode is enabled as this seems to be a issue as to know if you may be cheating.

I would NEVER use god mode in MP unless everyone had the mod installed and we wanted to be rulers of the 2d land :). I really only play MP with my kids or someone in the house on a local network. My MP outside the house is on XBox One usually helping others get items they want or need to make the game more fun for them. I have very limited (low bandwidth) internet at home also due to a exhausted rural area (DSL not available and satellite is not reliable in my area). I have used the TP mod with my sons to test out MP to fight bosses to determine the ultimate attack procedure needed to fight in a non-modded scenario.

Alot of my building on PC is for testing if an engine/farm/technique may work on console. I do use TEdit for me and my son for various fun play throughs on the PC of course as there isn't anything I know of for the console. I have downloaded DicemanX's and yours(ZeroGravitas) too to see what may work on the console.

I could get my build/testing process done in other ways/mods/apps on the PC, however MechMod is the most intuitive for me at this time. With @five--three's other mod Terraria ReTexturer, I could create some other play styles using custom images that my son likes to draw. I have not had the time yet to work on this although the idea being simple for me makes the promise more likely rather than just talking about it.

Enough rambling for me...

Well, being able to ignore everything around myself. (And being able to cheese the moon lord. :p )

Instant gratification lol. or instant revenge... whatever the case may be.

It does allow you to come up with strategies to use in a specific scenario that you might not otherwise do because of frustrattion by getting knocked around.

Last edited:
being able to cheese the moon lord.
Not sure that even counts as 'cheese'. :p
I have used the TP mod [?] with my sons to test out MP to fight bosses to determine the ultimate attack procedure needed to fight in a non-modded scenario.
There is more of an argument, I think, for invulnerability for the purposes of (boss behaviour) research. One could suggest disabling (boss) drops while God mode was on, so it could be used as such. But then users could simply re-enable normal mode just before killing the big bad, or else it would be even more complex to code. So I'm still skeptical of having a god mode cheat.

For...
being able to ignore everything around myself.
...and simply get on with building, you could have a 'Quiet Earth' mode, where all spawns (and spontaneous bosses) are blocked. This would have the advantage of eliminating visual clutter (when showing things off), not having your town NPCs injured or pressure plates triggered by mobs before you are ready fr them, etc. Still, during a play-through it would be very tempting to just stick it on during a blood moon, if you're at base and not in the mood. Also when hollowing out an space underground for a grinder/arena, it would be convenient, but break a key part of the difficulty of that approach to the game.

Reactions: z26
Question: what are the odds of a steam-on-Mac compatible version of mech-mod?

(or a pointer to the instructions I missed for Mac, without too much laughing is also cool.)

Back
Top Bottom