Standalone [1.3] tModLoader - A Modding API

Does anyone know how to properly build mods without using tModLoader? I tried building it with Xamarin (the only cross-platform IDE for C#) and all I got was a crapton of errors saying it didn't have access to any Terraria namespaces.

Even worse, the OP says to look in build.txt for documentation about this. Of course, there's nothing there but the build settings, so that's completely out the window.

(I'm trying to build ExampleMod)

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to properly build mods without using tModLoader? I tried building it with Xamarin (the only cross-platform IDE for C#) and all I got was a crapton of errors saying it didn't have access to any Terraria namespaces.

Even worse, the OP says to look in build.txt for documentation about this. Of course, there's nothing there but the build settings, so that's completely out the window.

(I'm trying to build ExampleMod)
The information you're looking for is in the noCompile section of the build.txt documentation.
When you build your mod, you'll need to add the actual tModLoader exe itself as a reference.

The information you're looking for is in the noCompile section of the build.txt documentation.
When you build your mod, you'll need to add the actual tModLoader exe itself as a reference.
Where is this documentation? I can't find it anywhere. OK, so it was the giant documentation link on the OP. *facepalm*

Is this tModLoader exe the tModLoaderWindows.exe in ModCompile from the tML download? Should I include the XNA dlls too?

EDIT: I included the tMLWindows.exe and the XNA dlls, removed most of the issues. However, there's still one left: it doesn't like the AddCraftGroups() method. It seems to be overriding something, but there's nothing for it to override? Or so Xamarin says. I'm going to see if a newer version of ExampleMod source fixes it, since mine might be a bit old.

Last edited:
OK, so now I think everything's almost set up, but now there's a new error: the build is trying to build with a tModLoaderServerDebug.exe located in a Program Files directory, which doesn't exist on OSX. Where does this directory come from so I can redirect it to the proper location?

EDIT: I found the line (<PostBuildEvent> tag in ExampleMod.csproj) but changing it to "Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/terraria/Terraria.app/Contents/MacOS/tModLoaderServerDebug" gives the same issue.
EDIT2: OK, so there was no tModLoaderServerDebug.exe there, but there was a tModLoaderServer.exe, so I switched it to that. Still the same error; exiting with code 126, whatever that means.

Last edited:
Could someone help me fix this?
57c7140e095e45a6b0b61c76f0d1d910.png

Where is this documentation? I can't find it anywhere. OK, so it was the giant documentation link on the OP. *facepalm*

Is this tModLoader exe the tModLoaderWindows.exe in ModCompile from the tML download? Should I include the XNA dlls too?

EDIT: I included the tMLWindows.exe and the XNA dlls, removed most of the issues. However, there's still one left: it doesn't like the AddCraftGroups() method. It seems to be overriding something, but there's nothing for it to override? Or so Xamarin says. I'm going to see if a newer version of ExampleMod source fixes it, since mine might be a bit old.
With tML 0.8.1 it was switched from CraftGroups to RecipeGroups to accompany the change made in Terraria 1.3.1. Try looking back a few pages, I think someone had a similar problem earlier.

With tML 0.8.1 it was switched from CraftGroups to RecipeGroups to accompany the change made in Terraria 1.3.1. Try looking back a few pages, I think someone had a similar problem earlier.
I believe you missed my most recent post:
OK, so now I think everything's almost set up, but now there's a new error: the build is trying to build with a tModLoaderServerDebug.exe located in a Program Files directory, which doesn't exist on OSX. Where does this directory come from so I can redirect it to the proper location?

EDIT: I found the line (<PostBuildEvent> tag in ExampleMod.csproj) but changing it to "Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/terraria/Terraria.app/Contents/MacOS/tModLoaderServerDebug" gives the same issue.
EDIT2: OK, so there was no tModLoaderServerDebug.exe there, but there was a tModLoaderServer.exe, so I switched it to that. Still the same error; exiting with code 126, whatever that means.
Any help here? The entire line is:
Code:
<PostBuildEvent>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\terraria\tModLoaderServerDebug.exe" -build "$(ProjectDir)\" -eac "$(TargetPath)"</PostBuildEvent>
but changed to a proper OSX directory instead of the default (Program Files (x86)) directory.

I believe you missed my most recent post:

Any help here? The entire line is:
Code:
<PostBuildEvent>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\terraria\tModLoaderServerDebug.exe" -build "$(ProjectDir)\" -eac "$(TargetPath)"</PostBuildEvent>
but changed to a proper OSX directory instead of the default (Program Files (x86)) directory.
Whoops, didn't see that. I can't help you with the other problem, I know nothing about Macs :/

Whoops, didn't see that. I can't help you with the other problem, I know nothing about Macs :/
Actually, it's not just this; EVERYONE should have a failed ExampleMod build. Why? Because, of course, there is no such file as tModLoaderServerDebug.exe! I downloaded the Windows version to see if it was there, and... well, nope! Honestly, with stuff like this, I am very, very surprised nothing's popped up yet.

I'm not sure if it's due to the amount of traffic on the mod but I can't download or update any mods from in-game cause it tosses me a
"Mod Browser is under heavy load try again" message.
I was looking for new mods to try out and also update the ones I'm currently using.
Well guess I'll have to wait.

Actually, it's not just this; EVERYONE should have a failed ExampleMod build. Why? Because, of course, there is no such file as tModLoaderServerDebug.exe! I downloaded the Windows version to see if it was there, and... well, nope! Honestly, with stuff like this, I am very, very surprised nothing's popped up yet.
Huh, that is odd. I haven't noticed anything because I haven't really been working on my mod lately, just hanging out here and helping when I can.

I'm not sure if it's due to the amount of traffic on the mod but I can't download or update any mods from in-game cause it tosses me a
"Mod Browser is under heavy load try again" message.
I was looking for new mods to try out and also update the ones I'm currently using.
Well guess I'll have to wait.
I don't know why this seems to be such a secret but...
Here's the direct mod database link:
http://javid.ddns.net/tModLoader/DirectModDownloadListing.php

Seriously, this should just be on the OP. Shouldn't have to hand it out whenever anybody needs it.

Well I thought it was due to, too many people downloading/updating mods at the same time.

-=Quick edit=-
Also the Javid link thing doesn't work for me.
I'm not sure if it's due to the fact I'm using firefox or what but I can't download anything that uses that link.

Well I thought it was due to, too many people downloading/updating mods at the same time.

-=Quick edit=-
Also the Javid link thing doesn't work for me.
I'm not sure if it's due to the fact I'm using firefox or what but I can't download anything that uses that link.
I use Chrome and it works perfectly fine.

...or it did, anyway. Yeah, good call, seems the mod download servers are off for some reason. I guess all we can do is wait.

Tried chrome and the page isn't working.
I get this when I try to download a mod off the page.
Thejavid.ddns.netpage isn’t working
javid.ddns.netis currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 503

So I'm uncertain as to what to do.

Tried chrome and the page isn't working.
I get this when I try to download a mod off the page.
Thejavid.ddns.netpage isn’t working
javid.ddns.netis currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 503

So I'm uncertain as to what to do.
If you look, I edited my post 2 whole minutes before you posted your post. Servers are legitimately down.

Back
Top Bottom