Terraria Crashes when creating character

To start no I dont have BitDefender and also my users already have all the allow boxs checked. I restarted Terraria and got the same error. I dont know if I had said this before but usually when I modify Documents/MyGames/Terraria, in any way, I get the error I showed you before when I start up terraria. Also the anti-virus I use is MalwareBytes.

Alright two more things we can try, Windows Defender is installed on Windows 10 by default. Some users get that error thrown with Windows Defender turned on, to temporarily disable Windows Defender follow this guide: https://www.wikihow.com/Turn-Off-Windows-Defender-in-Windows-10

(you don't need to do the registry edit parts, that's just for permanently disabling it, the temporary turn off while we investigate is fine.)

If that doesn't work let me upload my config file, it has the "MapEnable" turned to false, other users have reported this to be a problem. Download my config file and replace yours with mine. You'll put it in Documents/MyGames/Terraria

If those don't work we'll have to wait for a developer to pop in and let us know what's going on, but hey, at least we'll have plenty of data for them.

Attachments

• config.json
    1.6 KB · Views: 430
Ayyyy so disabling Windows Defender allowed me to open Terraria and create a character. That was way more simpler than how I thought it would go hahaha. So would it be safest to just disable it every time I play Terraria? Thanks for everything you have done man.

YAY! We did it! Hey man, thank you so much for being so patient throughout the troubleshooting process, sometimes things take time and can get frustrating you kept your cool while we got to the bottom of this mystery. I'm sorry it took so long for me to get that last puzzle piece, but at least we finally got it.

You can permanently disable it using that guide I posted earlier, if you feel your other Antivirus is sufficient enough.

Something I am worried about is if Windows Defender gets turned back on, is it going to delete player and world files and cause more problems? If so, you might just be able to add the Terraria steam folder, and the Terraria MyGames folder as exceptions in Windows Defender using this guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...dd-an-exclusion-to-windows-defender-antivirus to see if this has the same effect and allows you to play with Windows Defender turned on.

If that guide doesn't give enough thorough information to follow and you're interested in adding it as an exception let me know and I can write up a guide for you.

Also if you need anything else from me let me know, glad I could help you out.

Alright I just added the Terraria steam folder and the Terraria My Games folder as an exception. Thanks for everything man have a good one.

I'm having the exact same problem . I've tried over 20 "working solutions" and nothing has worked :/ . i tried deleting the 3 files and it came up with the same error that he got . then i tried to give full control to the user and the same error pops up . spent my new years trying to fix this cause of how frustrated i was :///////// . I really don't want to give up because all my friends are playing the game .
What else Can i dO? :(

Hey there, don't worry I can help you. Could you screenshot the error so I can verify what we are dealing with?

Hey ive been following this thread just got a pc and my terraria is already screwd. I have bitdefender can u be more clear on what to do.Ps i have the exact problems as the other guy to the doy

Hey ive been following this thread just got a pc and my terraria is already screwd. I have bitdefender can u be more clear on what to do.Ps i have the exact problems as the other guy to the doy

Let's look at your error logs and verify the issue. Please do the following, then trigger the crash again, then upload your error log so I can see it.

0eiPNMV.png

Alright @Grumpy Squid , I have the same problem as charles and tried all of the solutions but none worked, this is what it says after i try creating a character. I think its something to do with my files since this hasnt happened ever since i added another drive (D: DATA) I connected all my games to that drive but my character saves and map saves go to my C drive in "My Games" I've tried moving the saves to my steamapps in the D drive but when i open steam it just opens in my C drive. Heres a picture of what the error log says (I crossed out my name btw)
1589822297087.png

Oh about the partition tool 2 of them were lost and i tried proceeding them but I couldnt because it was over 8TB
1589822646726.png
1589822691190.png
1589822705002.png

Does this matter too?

Alright @Grumpy Squid , I have the same problem as charles and tried all of the solutions but none worked, this is what it says after i try creating a character. I think its something to do with my files since this hasnt happened ever since i added another drive (D: DATA) I connected all my games to that drive but my character saves and map saves go to my C drive in "My Games" I've tried moving the saves to my steamapps in the D drive but when i open steam it just opens in my C drive. Heres a picture of what the error log says (I crossed out my name btw) View attachment 271465

Are you using BitDefender? I was having this exact same issue. If not BitDefender, I would play with whatever anti-virus software you have until it works.

I turned off BitDefender entirely and it worked. Then I turned on one module at a time in BitDefender until it broke again. For me, the "Safe Files" feature was blocking Terriria from editing files in the "My Games" Folder.

I have had the same issue but I've tried everything from this thread to fix it and non has worked I've attached my error can i please get help

Attachments

• terraria error.JPG
    terraria error.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 164
Are you using BitDefender? I was having this exact same issue. If not BitDefender, I would play with whatever anti-virus software you have until it works.

I turned off BitDefender entirely and it worked. Then I turned on one module at a time in BitDefender until it broke again. For me, the "Safe Files" feature was blocking Terriria from editing files in the "My Games" Folder.
ive been having very similar issues and i need to turn off my windows defender in order to play properly, and i want an antivirus to protect it, so i chose bitdefender. how do i turn off the safe files feature, to stop blocking it from editing files when i get it installed?

Alright, i found a really easy solution to my problem, and probably some of yours. Go to Windows Defender, Virus and Threat Protection settings, and instead of going to real time protection, or exclusions, go to Manage Controlled Folder Access, then click "Allow an app through Controlled Folder Access", hit "add an allowed app", then "recently blocked" and click on Terraria.
I did lose my characters and worlds, so back those up if you do try this, but I believe it was from another fix that I tried.

Back
Top Bottom