Items Sandstorm in a Vase

oPixeel

Terrarian
The Sandstorm in a Vase will be a new item sold by the Skeleton Merchant.

How to get it:
When a Skeleton Merchant spawns in hardmode, they will have a chance (around 50%) to have a Sandstorm in a Vase in their shop. It will cost around 50 gold to 1 platinum to buy due to it's usefulness.

How to use it:
You can use it by throwing it like a Shuriken or Grenade and once it hits the ground or an enemy, it breaks into shards which damage enemies and causes a Sandstorm instantly and will be used up.

Extra notes:
It will have a stack size of 1 and a rarity of lime.

The Sandstorm in a Vase will be a new item sold by the Skeleton Merchant.
When a Skeleton Merchant spawns in hardmode, they will have a chance (around 50%) to have a Sandstorm in a Vase in their shop.
Why the skeleton merchant? I see no reason in looking for him, only to have a 50% chance of finding the item you want, then having to spend a small fortune to get it it, when you could easily just sleep in the desert for free and wait for a natural sandstorm to happen.
Being a magical item i think it'd make more sense for the wizard to sell it to find it in the desert pyramid as a furniture item, renewability wouldn't be an issue since you can easily get enough forbidden shards to make everything you need from one sandstorm. Another alternative method of finding it would be desert fishing, in case you don't have a pyramid in your world or wasted your item in PHM you can get it from there, this would be a great solution since while fishing you might just get a natural sandstorm to happen, it would be the perfect thing to do while waiting on the event.
Why not have Rain in a Vase as well for the blizzard?
This is a great idea, rain can be more useful than a sandstorm for getting the various items locked behind it and using it for the increased stats of the cute fishron mount. It would make sense for the wizard witch doctor to sell a magical item that summons rain, not sure what the item would be but it would be cool to take some sort of rainmaking tool used in the ritual and make that the item (maybe a lapis manalis "Water-flowing stone" from Roman rituals).

Consumable item that summons sandstorms? Sure. There's nothing particularly desert-themed about the Skeleton Merchant though. I was thinking either make a new summoning item crafted with Ancient Cloth (which currently serves no practical purpose) or make the Desert Spirit Lamp work like an Enchanted Sundial and do the same thing.

A support weapon that summons sandstorms? Sounds good to me. Though if it is a support weapon it might have to be changed to a magic weapon. Especially if it costs 50-100 gold per vial vase.

The only problem I see here is that Sandstorms aren't a self-contained event. Sandstorms can only start in high wind, and they end 15x faster if the wind speed is below 30mph. So either this item would have to force a Sandstorm to start and last for a specific amount of time regardless of wind speed, or it would need to also make the wind speed high enough to accommodate a Sandstorm. The former is preferable, I think.

Side note, but the other vases in this game are placeable furniture objects. I think it might be neat if this was, too; instead of throwing it to start the Sandstorm, you placed it and then broke it again. Or, alternatively, you can just place it and have it as furniture.

Back
Top Bottom