Mobile Let us send items in chat

AaronGaming1066🌳

The Destroyer
let us send items in chat, similar to the Alt+LMB thing that pc has

my concept can be found here (made by typing [i:20] and cutting out the typing part)

for console you could probably make it so we can do something like L1+L3 with an item selected

this may require some slight reworks of how the chat box works but it shouldnt have to be massive

You can technically already do this. On console and mobile, type [i:{item id of what item you want}] for it. You can find the ids and more info on the wiki. For example, [i:193] is the Obsidian Skull (I use it as 💀emoji in game)
that defeats the whole point of the post. on certain phones and consoles, opening the wiki means minimising terraria, and minimising terraria leads to crashes or disconnects. plus, modifiers and stacks arent very easy to type on mobile and console, so having an easy way for those would be great

i also used that for making the video

also you cant see chat tooltips on mobile while you can on pc

Last edited:
Would these "chat items" be able to be placed in people's inventories, or not?

it would not consume the item (as seen in the video, watch the copper bar that i drag onto the chat window), and would display in chat. you could then hover the mouse over it to see the tooltip. (you cant see tooltips in chat on mobile which needs to be fixed as well)

it would also display how many items are in the stack, and what modifier an item has

this is a really interesting way to do this, i support this! i play on xbox and i do agree that looking up item IDs for item emojis can be painful and often results in crashes, so i definitely want something like this in-game.

i love the execution of the idea, definite support

let us send items in chat, similar to the Alt+LMB thing that pc has

my concept can be found here (made by typing [i:20] and cutting out the typing part)

for console you could probably make it so we can do something like L1+L3 with an item selected

this may require some slight reworks of how the chat box works but it shouldnt have to be massive
I honestly feel like Chat Tags could really enhance the experience for Console/Mobile (especially with Cross Play coming soon), though there may have to be adjustments to how Console/Mobile do it, as for starters, not everyone owns a keyboard or mouse for mobile or console, nor does every mobile player own a controller.

These are my thoughts on how I would go about implementing it into the game:

1. The developers could add a new button to the Inventory (or Chat) UI dedicated to allowing tagging Items without opening the Chat (This can be a critical feature for console, as they force open the console's Virtual Keyboard Environment to allow typing in Chat). This feature could be called "Quick Tag Item"

2. The "Favorite" (Star icon) button/binding could be temporarily replaced with a magnifying glass icon labeled as "Tag Item" while Chat is open and an Item is currently selected. (basically a more mobile friendlier version of the PC's Alt Click method, however, console will more than likely not benefit from this approach due to the Virtual Keyboard Environment required to type on Consoles).

3. Chat Tag details (specifically Item Tag Tooltips) could be implemented similar to how the Guide's "Crafting" UI is handled, where Tapping or Clicking the icon will bring a pop-up with the item's details. Controller input may have to be adjusted by either adding an individual cursor specifically for Chat, or by allowing the Crosshair to "hover" over an icon despite being part of the Aim feature (Similar to how the Mouse on PC can both Aim and hover over Chat and Buffs).

DISCLAIMER: Although these thoughts are practical for both console and mobile devices, Please note that Issues with certain input methods (specifically when using Keyboard Mouse) are unable to interact with Chat directly (such as scrolling to read previous messages) and may have to be fixed beforehand.

Back
Top Bottom