Terraria Community Forums

Commander Crocket
Commander Crocket
Heh, I don't see why ranged users get to complain. It's become far harder for magic and melee users to kill the Destroyer, by virtue of their close combat style and their paper thin defences, respectively.
FlakMaster
FlakMaster
I got the guy to 50k health before night ended, but half of the battle was with the inferior Unholy Arrows. If I use Jester the whole fight, it should be good.
FlakMaster
FlakMaster
Meh, I'm not going to bring this to a class vs class debate. At this high up, Ranged is the only one that has enough DPS to effectively take the mechanicals out. All other hardmode bosses are fine, because they don't have a timer set on them.

My goal is just the playthrough; I don't do any of that purist rubbish.
Commander Crocket
Commander Crocket
I know, it's just an observation.
You could use Holy as well. While Jester's do a great job of penetrating the Destroyer and striking multiple times, Holy also causes stars to drop, each dealing about half the damage of the arrow itself; this adds up to more damage per arrow. If you're confident you can aim your shots to consistently hit multiple segments of the Destroyer, go for it. Otherwise, I'd suggest Holy.
FlakMaster
FlakMaster
You gotta remember that the Destroyer has twice the defence too. That's a whopping 60 defence. That makes Holy arrows really, really limited in use before I get the Tsunami. I also can't push damage high enough to make them good, because I need enough defence to survive the stupidly spammy lasers. I'm actually wearing the Adamantite Melee helm.
Commander Crocket
Commander Crocket
Have you defeated the other mechs? If so, why not save yourself the trouble and craft Hallowed equipment?
FlakMaster
FlakMaster
The difference between Adamantite and Hallowed is pretty minor, IIRC. Also, Prime has 102k health with arms blocking some damage and the Twins collectively have 215k health. I'm presuming I need the Uzi/Megashark with crystal bullets comboed with Golden Shower to get great enough DPS for them.
Commander Crocket
Commander Crocket
Damn, you really have your work cut out for you, eh?
FlakMaster
FlakMaster
It'll work. I already know that killing the Destroyer is a possibility, so I have a definite plan. Oh, I still need to get that Cross Necklace. Nimbus Rod would help too, but you know, RNG -_-
Commander Crocket
Commander Crocket
Hrm. Have you considered using a gun, with explosive bullets as ammunition?
FlakMaster
FlakMaster
Quick maths reveals I need an average DPS of 400 to kill the Twins. That's high, but achievable.

Also, that wouldn't work. Again, I'm afraid, the defence is too low. Don't worry about seeking advice for the Destroyer. I know what I need to do, it's just that ~1000 jester arrows can be a task to get ;)
FlakMaster
FlakMaster
Oh, I should also emphasise that repeaters have the upper hand with Archery Potion and Magic Quiver; both of which I have.
Commander Crocket
Commander Crocket
Ah. That explains alot.
Still, you could use the bullets with the Gatligator, and be sure that the majority of the bullets will hit, given the sheer size of the Destroyer, but this relies on the Travelling Merchant's inventory, and thus RNG.
If you insist on using Jester's, then skybridges will be your friends, and will be an invaluable asset to collecting the Fallen Stars you need to craft them.
FlakMaster
FlakMaster
Oh no, Gatligator has a lower base than the Megashark. I'm still pondering whether or not I've handicapped myself too much with the double defence boost that Megashark/Uzi + Crystal bullets will be ineffective.
Commander Crocket
Commander Crocket
Still, you can't craft the Megashark without first obtaining the Souls of Might the Destroyer drops. You could use the Gatligator until you manage to obtain those; I find it's quite the suitable replacement, as it shares the Megashark's chance to not consume ammo.
FlakMaster
FlakMaster
No, but I can get the Uzi ;p

The Uzi has 7 higher base than the Megashark, so it'll definitely do much better with Crystal bullets.

Edit: If I get the Uzi, I could possible skip the Destroyer for now and wait until I'm better equipped.
Commander Crocket
Commander Crocket
That may be true, but the drop chances for the Uzi are insanely low, with an 1 in 200 chance of dropping from Angry Trappers. Also, it lacks any chance of not consuming ammo, so you may find you run out of ammo far sooner.
FlakMaster
FlakMaster
I'm aware, but I've never really had issues getting it. Those angry trappers show themselves much easier.

Ammo isn't a problem. It never is. Well, yeah, except Jester Arrows.
Commander Crocket
Commander Crocket
Then go for it. I wish you the best of luck.
Scarecrow
Scarecrow
ultimate biomechest hunter mode?

You should put "supreme badass" in all the bosses names.
Back
Top Bottom