Terraria Community Forums

Techdude594
Techdude594
The technology that Terraria is based upon is outdated, I'm just suggesting a fresh coat of paint for the game, to give it some new life. Things were very different back in 2011. Also, the reason why I double posted was because I had more on my mind.
Techhunter_Talon
Techhunter_Talon
If the software is outdated then I think more than a 'fresh coat of paint' is in order. A new engine would be required at that point... and you'd might as well make a whole new game if you do that. That... or port it over onto something new which would also take time and money that might as well be used on a whole new game project.
Techdude594
Techdude594
(cont) The 'hundreds of mods' example is obviously hyperbole, that is pretty unrealistic, though I've heard of certain users who do use over 100 mods, albeit smaller ones. That being said, I'm sure there are certain users who want to use multiple large mods who simple cannot, due to restrictions set by the outdated technology that the game is based on, currently.
Techhunter_Talon
Techhunter_Talon
I refer back to my previous post. One that I'm pretty sure you didn't see at the time you were writing that one out and I can't fault you for that one.
Techdude594
Techdude594
If the Terraria team has already put so many hours of development into this game (and the results are mostly phenomenal!), then a revamp of the game in order to keep it running smoothly, and to support more powerful machines sounds appropriate.
Techhunter_Talon
Techhunter_Talon
I see my words are either falling on deaf ears or something worse. I'm done here as there isn't much else to say that wouldn't just be the both of us running around in circles with our arguments.

Added: Huge emphasis on 'running around in circles with our arguments'.
Techdude594
Techdude594
Of course issues can arise when you have hundreds of mods, many may not be compatible with each other, etc. In my case though, I'm talking about one simple mod, that is just a few lines of code, which just so happens to be very RAM intensive, and simply will not function properly due to the limitations of the game.
Catman8274
Catman8274
I have only one problem with this statement... and it's that I don't think that Terraria would be able to handle that many mods at once, even if it were a 64-bit program. I mean sure it would depend on the mods and how much RAM each one took up, but even then we're talking 200 mods here. I, frankly, think that'd be too RAM-intensive for any game.
Techdude594
Techdude594
I agree. But the circumstance I am talking about is just one mod, that is very RAM intensive. If Terraria was 64-bit, there wouldn't be any problems running just one RAM intensive mod.
Catman8274
Catman8274
Not to mention, who the heck even plays with 200 mods at once? That's just waaaaay too many to even deal with in one playthrough.
Techdude594
Techdude594
Also agreed there. That example was extreme, I do know of people on these very forums who do play with over 100 mods, which already sounds crazy. Hell, even just 3 large mods (Calamity, Thorium, Spirit) are enough to add hundreds of hours of new content!
Techhunter_Talon
Techhunter_Talon
I got it now. You want to run a world with practically all the mods you just listed there. Hence you getting a mod that allows for much larger worlds to be generated. Also hence why you're here with this suggestion. You want as close as you can get to all the mods and are learning of how the game's limitations are preventing you from doing that.
Techhunter_Talon
Techhunter_Talon
Honestly, bigger doesn't necessarily mean better.
Techdude594
Techdude594
No, I only want to play in an 'extra-large map' with nothing else. Essentially, a vanilla playthrough in an extra-large world. Only problem stopping me is the 4GB RAM limit. Those mods that I just listed are just examples of content heavy mods that may also cause RAM issues when multiple of those large mods are added together.
Catman8274
Catman8274
Once again... Bigger isn't always better. In some cases, it may just mean that you're giving RNG more chances to screw you over when it comes to naturally generated structures and loot.
Techdude594
Techdude594
I know this, but I've played the game for so long that I want to try something a bit different (and yes, I have already played all of these full-game mods, I'm returning to Vanilla now). All I want to do is be able to play in an extra large world, but that is sadly not possible due to 32-bit Terraria. (Also, I am using TerraCustom, RNG isn't an issue here)
Techhunter_Talon
Techhunter_Talon
Get the feeling that's what he's going for. Even if I don't agree with this suggestion just so he can do that.

Added: I was correct... and it confirms much that I don't wish to share for very good reasons.
Techdude594
Techdude594
This would benefit everyone who wants to go crazy with mods, or who wants to play at ridiculously high resolutions, etc. Anyone with decent hardware would benefit from this. There are virtually no downsides to this as well, why wouldn't you want better performance for everyone, especially those with more powerful systems?
Techdude594
Techdude594
Terraria shouldn't have problems running on even mediocre machines. For reference, I have an FX 8350, R9 380, and 8GB DDR3 RAM, I should have zero issues running this game, and yet, there are still issues present, due to the fact that Terraria can't fully take advantage of my hardware. The FX 8350 isn't exactly known for stellar single-core performance anyways.
Back
Top Bottom