sillybunneh
sillybunneh
card quest
Cibryll
Cibryll
Cave Story
Aurora3500
Aurora3500
Depends somewhat on what type of game you're interested in.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is a top recommendation of mine. If you want a huge JRPG series with a high quality story & characters. It also takes several games to tell the whole story.

Otherwise,

Ender Lilies
Hollow Knight

Both of the above are engaging Metroidvania type games.
AverageAnimalAppreciator
AverageAnimalAppreciator
p-play cross code
AVARUS ODIUM
AVARUS ODIUM
I would recommend some, but I’m not entirely sure what genre(s) you like.
Flask & Vella the Latias
Flask & Vella the Latias
> Empire Earth series
> Left 4 Dead
> There is no Game
Streyll
Streyll
Honestly I feel like the issue with when I originally asked for recommendations is that I had no specific genre in mind, and I don't even know what genres I do like, just a few that I know I don't. I find an issue is that several games can be considered to be in the same genre but be different enough in gameplay that I only like a handful of them, which makes it difficult to just state a genre alone.
Streyll
Streyll
So, adding onto this...
I was looking originally for two, but since then I got Against the Storm, so right now I'm looking more at just getting one for the nearer term and any others would be later on.
For more general requirements, I'm mostly just looking at games on Steam, but may extend that later. It has to be playable in English. And importantly it has to actually be a decently polished game.
Streyll
Streyll
That means that the devs actually focus on making sure their game is reasonably optimized and that during normal play of the game you're highly unlikely to run into anything entirely game breaking. Something that allows multiple saves would be a bonus.
I'd rather not have to make an account for it and I do actually read EULAs so the content of those when they're present may be a thing.
Streyll
Streyll
And I'm looking for something that can make for decent single-player experience.

Now, as for genres, that's a wider subject, and depends more on specific execution of that genre than the genre itself, as well as how some things can be difficult to entirely place in one specific genre.
Streyll
Streyll
So it is a bit more difficult for me to state what I'd be looking for there. However no matter what it is it should have good replay value.

And sorry for the alerts this will create, the character limit makes it difficult to have decent discussions in profile posts without breaking them up like this or using some workaround.
Streyll
Streyll
As for some of the specifics that come to mind right now, generally I find that it seems that most of the games I have are split between some element of strategy and/or some element of creativity.
Streyll
Streyll
For example, the AoE series, HoI4, and Plague Inc: Evolved are all games that fit more into the strategy side of things, while Terraria and Starbound fit a bit more into the creative side of things, as examples from games I own. Stormworks and Scrap Mechanic kind of fit into the creative side of things as well, but are somewhat more technical than what I may have first implied with just saying creative.
Streyll
Streyll
So in terms of that I'd say a game that allows for some more technical details and for things like base building, creating vehicles, having decent enough water and air physics, and also likely some damage system would be something I'd be somewhat looking for as I've found some of the current options I know of to be lacking.
Streyll
Streyll
As for strategy, that also doesn't just mean games like AoE or HoI4, but I'm also somewhat considering games like Halo to be in that category as well, despite not fitting entirely.
There is also for some kind of a story and/or roleplay element as well, like in Skyrim for example, though I still haven't quite found something to fully fit what I'm looking for there.
Streyll
Streyll
I would add more to this, but I feel like ten alerts is already quite a bit as it is, so I'm now wondering whether this would have been better suited to an actual thread or not.
Flask & Vella the Latias
Flask & Vella the Latias
I think resource management of Left 4 Dead or TING as a whole would be fine, former for longterm, latter for near term.

Empire Earth (series) isn't on Steam, it's on GOG, and all three are playable in English. For polished experience in second game, you may have to look for unofficial patches, though.
Streyll
Streyll
L4D is maybe close to something I'd play, Empire Earth is something I've already considered buying even if it means having to figure out GOG, and either There is no Game doesn't fit the requirements I posted here or the people that made it turned it into an actual game.
Flask & Vella the Latias
Flask & Vella the Latias
The third is actual 'game' now.

Anyway, niches include The Settlers V or VI, depending on how much city building do you want. The VI can be considered polished, but V has weather control itself.
Back
Top Bottom