Biomes & Nature ⭐ "Aurora Night" snow biome event

_Noodle

Official Terrarian
I think it'd be cool if we had another night event in the game. An Aurora Night would be awesome to see.
I think this belongs under the Biomes & Nature prefix? Please correct me if I'm wrong and misunderstood something :happy:

What would it do?
The Aurora Night would be a new event during the night, that appears in the snow biome. Visually, the sky would sort of light up and everything will be lighter than a usual night. On the background sky, and aurora will be shown. A new sound track could also be added alongside this event, making it the full package. Something similar to the snow biome's theme, but more surreal and clear in tone would fit the theme well.
If necessary, we could make it only spawn when it's not raining. It would be a shame, if the blizzard obscured the pretty sky :(

I think this event should be hardmode only. The snow biome starts losing relevance towards the late-game, and I think this would be a perfect solution progression wise. Early hardmode, the Aurora Night wouldn't have anything that crazy to show. Then, after defeating Plantera, new enemies could start appearing too. It could also serve as an alternative to the post-plantera dungeon.

What would spawn during the event?
I'd imagine the Aurora Night would bring out all the creatures in the snowy tundras. New enemies would appear, other creatures would emerge from the ice biome and venture to the surface. This means some of the underground enemies would start spawning on the surface, now.

I've come up with some ideas for what might spawn during this event. Here I've taken inspiration from mythology and folklore, all centered around the aurora:
  • Frozen Zombies and Wolves would still spawn
  • Armored Vikings would start spawning on the surface now
  • Killing a viking could sometimes spawn a Viking Spirit enemy (like with dungeon spirits)
    • Vikings believed the aurora would bringing the dead to Valhalla, so it'd be cool to see their ghosts during this event
  • Maybe some aurora themed enemies?
    • Aurora slimes could spawn
    • Aurora elementals could replace ice elementals (they are basically a bigger version)
After defeating plantera, harder enemies could also start spawning:
  • Different types of Norse Warriors (A stronger version of viking enemies)
  • Maybe Permafrost Slimes (Like a stronger version of spiked ice slimes)
  • A Valkyrie mini-boss
    • In Norse mythology, it was believed the aurora was created by the valkyries and their shields. Light would reflect off of their shields, creating the aurora
    • It could maybe fly around like harpies, before swooping down and attack players, and use some ranged light attack (like a ray of light from the sky)

I also like the idea of a new Fire Fox critter spawning during this event. In Finland, they once believed a firefox; a fox with a tail of flames, would run and cause the aurora. This could be cool to see in-game.

What would the loot be like?
I don't want the gear to negate exploration and make everything else obsolete, so I've kind of brainstormed with balancing in mind. A lot of the items would be

I've thought up some vanity/decorations and some actual functional gear, like accessories and gear, we could see from an event like this:
  • A whole viking vanity set
  • Norse Beard (A vanity item)
    • Tooltip: Groomed to perfection
    • In case you didn't know, vikings cared a lot about their looks (they were often buried with their combs and brushes)
  • Aurora Monolith
  • Maybe a "Valhalla" or "Aurora" painting?
  • Carved bear (a wooden statue - based on indigenous tribes)
    • Could be sold by an NPC during the event
  • Aurora Scepter (A magic staff)
  • Bifrost Sword (Ranged sword that creates beams)
  • Norse Waraxe (A strong axe tool)
  • North Star (A flail that glows)
  • Valkyrie Wings (equal to mothron wings)
  • And more...

If you didn't know, an aurora that occurs in the northern hemisphere is called "Aurora Borealis" or just "Borealis". I think it'd be fun, if Boreal trees and wood would turn into Aurora Trees during the event, and you could cut them down for Aurora Wood. It's sort of a dumb spin on the name, but it works :D

It could be used to craft new furniture, which would look like a more ethereal version of boreal furniture. Or maybe it can be crafted into an Aurora Armor Set, which would work kinda like an inferior version of Spooky armor, granting a very early-hardmode buff to summoners. Maybe it could have a set bonus, which gives your minions a weak damaging aura? That would pair well with early-hardmode summon weapons, such as the spider staff.

Some sprites and examples
To give some quick examples of what some of the things could look like, I quickly threw together these sprites.
Norse Warriors

Norse Warrior.png
Norse Vanguard.png

Wartorn vikings warriors have emerge during the Aurora Night. Although the sprite to the right might look weird at first, many lower-ranking vikings couldn't afford expensive chainmail or metal helmets, and instead used multiple layers of thick cloths as projection. Though, this doesn't exactly mean they're any pushover in battle ;)

Norse Waraxe

Norse Waraxe.png

A light and strong axe, great at cutting down trees and foes alike. Rope is woven around the hilt, making for a secure and steadfast grip.

Aurora Slime

Aurora Slime.png

A slime that soaked in and absorbed the vivid light of the aurora. They are tougher and stronger than normal slimes.
Although the sprite doesn't exactly look that great on its own, particles, animation and in-game lighting would make it look a lot better (I hope)

Aurora Scepter

Aurora Scepter.png

A magic weapon found under the aurora. The blue staff is embedded with spheres that shine light the aurora itself. It is dropped by the aurora themed enemies found during the event.

Last edited:
I think your idea for an Aurora Night event is fantastic! The visual concept of the sky lighting up with an aurora in the snow biome sounds mesmerizing. I completely agree with your perspective that it would be a shame if the event spawned during rain, as the beauty of the aurora might be obscured. Personally, I don't heavily rely on soundtracks and play with high Ambient settings, so having a separate soundtrack for this event wouldn't be a major concern for me.

I also appreciate the approach of not making the event too mob-heavy. It's important not to distract players too much from the captivating view by overwhelming them with stressful battles.

Overall, very well thought through and attention to detail.

Back
Top Bottom