PC 1.3 Fast and Efficient Bait Farm

DeadlyStr1ke

Terrarian
Hello folks! I've just finished my first guide on Terraria and came here to share it with you all. The guide is all about bait and the troubles of getting it. Which are now, hopefully, in the past. In my last session I've accidentally found a way to utilize some of 1.3 newly introduced items to farm quality bait fast and with little to no effort.

Here's the link to the guide(which was written during Terraria v1.3.0.3)
Fishing Bait Jungle Farm[1.3.0.3 PC]

I want to thank everyone who will take the time to read the guide and help spread the knowledge of a new way to aquire bait! Hopefully this will help you forget about those giant, slow grass bait farms.

Super fast and super effective version:
Arm Flower Boots,
Stand on one jungle grass tile,
Start swinging golden bug net,
???
Profit!

That's really all that's needed for infinite bait farm.

Super fast and super effective version:
Arm Flower Boots,
Stand on one jungle grass tile,
Start swinging golden bug net,
???
Profit!

That's really all that's needed for infinite bait farm.

Very true, that the process in itself doesn't require much and the golden bug net is a good alternative(as I've noted in the guide), but since the golden bug net is a pretty rare(1/70 chance; since there are many parts of this game that are extremly rng, I'm going off the wiki here and not from personal experience of getting it on 1st or 1000th quest) reward from the fishing quests themselves, in the meantime you can use a yoyo/flail instead. And it's much easier to trap the bait in the pit at that point so you can protect it from projectiles/hostile mobs and you won't have to run around catching it with the net after you're done spawning. After you've got the golden bug net though, other parts of the guide are purely optional. But the main point of it is for people to learn that there's a new method of farming bait that is really easy when compared to what we had before in terms of options.

Update: I've acquired a Golden Bug Net and ran a test to see if it is faster to harvest bait with the net or yoyo/flail. I've preformed the farming process 2 times, 30 seconds each. I did not stop the timer when I went down into the pit to grab the bugs with the net, when using the yoyo to spawn bugs.
Results:
  • Yoyo method - 30 seconds - 10 bait.
  • Golden Bug Net - 30 seconds - 4 bait.
So in my experience the yoyo/flail method generates x2.5 more bait than just using the golden net. This probably has to do with the grass tiles being destroyed during each swing of the golden net as opposed to grass being destroyed instantly when it generates due to the yoyo being on the tile all the time and being always active.

Last edited:
Deadly, hope ya don't mind but I made an upgrade to the concept. This version doesn't require any mechanisms and requires significantly less movement to harvest:

Capture_2015_07_11_17_29_48.png

Grubs get launched onto the platforms which, while not being aesthetically perfect, don't let them fall onto the yoyo. With a normal bug net, the most you have to do to harvest every grub is turn around.

Do note, the platforms do need that stair configuration to work, tried using a lowered platform as the top spot and grubs would fall down. This setup lets them go back and forth with no issue.

EDIT: Walls on the side need to be at least one more block high. Thought I had had every grub launch vector accounted for and as soon as I posted, had two fly over.

EDIT 2: Make the walls 2 blocks thick(expand outwards based on the image). Some grubs like squeezing through a 1 block wide wall.

Last edited:
Feel free.
Done. Hope you don't mind the image in the guide is from me(I updated it to match your edit's, so people have easier time when building from it). I've also linked to your profile and the original post, if you wan't any of that removed for any reason - pm me. Thanks again for a cool design!

Where was this guide when I needed bait ;^;
Stashed away in Re-Logic's "Secret 1.3 Development Chamber of Secretness", while we struggled with our gigantic pre 1.3 farms. :D:sigh:

So, i have checked around and it seems that water candles and other items like battle potions also affect the spawn rate of the baits (because they are considered critters).

Back
Top Bottom