Items 2 high-tier accessory crafting suggestions (Boots, Balloons)

Juan

Terrarian
Okay, this is my last thread for today :D

My excuses if these have been suggested before, but I would really enjoy to see the following:

- A final tier of boots, where Frostspark Boots are combined with the Lava Waders. This is merely a quality of life improvement for putting in all the work finding the Water Walking Boots and a Lava Charm, as the effect of the Lava Waders can be recreated with Water Walking and Obsidian Skin Potions.

- A Big Bundle of Balloons. Since there already is the bundle combining 3 jump accessories, the other 3 balloons kinda stand out on their own. Either adding the remaining 3 single balloons to the first bundle or crafting a second bundle before combining both bundles would be fine. This big bundle would be quite the special curiosity with a lot of work from the players going into its crafting.

The first one has been suggested many times, and the group consensus is that it'd be OP. Personally I agree with you, but most don't.

I've also seen the second one suggested somewhere. I just don't remember who made that one. Possibly multiple people. It makes sense to me to have that, but personally it wouldn't make much of a difference to me. I don't really use balloons.

Don't really see why it should be OP. It's mostly useful for cave exploration and the like, and only few players will manage to make one of these due to the extraordinary rarity of the Water Walking Boots. Don't really see much of a benefit for later challenges like HM bosses, but would be happy to be enlightened about that. Might be useful for some events with arenas and lava traps, but not to a great extent.

Following that logic, the Celestial Shell also seems OP. An already quite powerful item like the Celestial Stone gets combined with another item that essentially makes Flipper/Gills Potions and pretty much any diving gear obsolete. Plus the Werewolf boost.

Last edited:
Don't really see why it should be OP. It's mostly useful for cave exploration and the like, and only few players will manage to make one of these due to the extraordinary rarity of the Water Walking Boots. Don't really see much of a benefit for later challenges like HM bosses, but would be happy to be enlightened about that. Might be useful for some events with arenas and lava traps, but not to a great extent.
Yeah, I totally agree with you, but others don't. I think the problem most people have is that there's nothing preventing you from getting either of the two pairs of boots before hard mode, and pre hard mode they'd be reasonably OP. In my opinion, once you get wings this would be pretty fine, so maybe if it included some hard mode stuff in the recipe it'd be fine. Souls of Flight and/or Hallowed bars maybe?

Yeah, I can see part of that. For taking down the WoF and traversing the underworld this would definitely be more than helpful. However, I usually do this with Water Walking and Obsidian Skin Potions, which give the exact same effect, but are much much easier to obtain. My point being, you will have defeated 10 WoFs in the time you need to find all components for a recipe like that (if you even have WW Boots in your world).

Putting in some hardmode stuff for the recipe sounds reasonable though, maybe Hallowed Bars and/or all 3 boss souls, so you will have to do quite some exploration before enjoying those added benefits. After that, it shouldn't really matter imho.

I don't think water walking boots are that rare anymore, but maybe I'm just lucky, what I'm not lucky at getting is the lava charm. I think one problem may be that the lava charm effect stacks, people already use a lava charm and lava waders for 14 seconds of immunity, a third item with this effect would be overkill at this point. Typically if your around ice you are not around lava, so you use one or the other.
As for the balloons I don't see why not, the horseshoe can already combine with the other three.

Following that logic, the Celestial Shell also seems OP. An already quite powerful item like the Celestial Stone gets combined with another item that essentially makes Flipper/Gills Potions and pretty much any diving gear obsolete. Plus the Werewolf boost.
Yeah I don't think it would be broken especially as I don't even bother with frostspark boots as of late game anyway(usually ditch them for wings) That said Redigit explicitly said that he thought they would be op and that is effectively the end of discussion ( as Redigit obviously has the final say on what can or can't exist)

As for the balloons it bothers me that we can't tinker all of them together that said I feel the honey balloon should be altered to be another small jump(weakest of all the separate jumps) that spawns bees that are able to attack up to one enemy before despawning just so it fits thematically better with the others :)
Edit there has also been a suggestion that once the final upgrade has been obtained balloon wise they could be upgraded into a hot air balloon w/ souls of flight plus I forget what else

Yeah I don't think it would be broken especially as I don't even bother with frostspark boots as of late game anyway(usually ditch them for wings) That said Redigit explicitly said that he thought they would be op and that is effectively the end of discussion ( as Redigit obviously has the final say on what can or can't exist)

Oh, didn't know about this. In that case, the boots suggestion seems kinda obsolete now.

Oh, didn't know about this. In that case, the boots suggestion seems kinda obsolete now.
In theory it only means you have to convince Red, I mean he stated it back in 1.2 when their was a lot less competition for accessory slots. as of 1.3.3 there are so many powerful options for accessory slots that the utility cost for it has increased.

It's not that Frostspark Boots + Lava Waders would be OP, it's that they would be annoying and incompatible. Frostspark Boots have the benefits of an extended flight time, speed increases and traction on ice. This is pretty much universal; it's unlikely you'd be in a position you don't want this.
Lava Waders grant immunity to fire blocks, ability to walk on liquids and temporary lava immunity. The first is duplicated by anything using the Obsidian Skull (e.g. Ankh Shield), so we can ignore that.

It's the water walking that's a problem. It's situational, and for me, it can be rather frustrating at times. The situational usage of water walking does not fit in with the general usage of Frostspark Boots. For that reason, water walking should be kept separate from Frostspark Boots.

It's not that Frostspark Boots + Lava Waders would be OP, it's that they would be annoying and incompatible. Frostspark Boots have the benefits of an extended flight time, speed increases and traction on ice. This is pretty much universal; it's unlikely you'd be in a position you don't want this.
Lava Waders grant immunity to fire blocks, ability to walk on liquids and temporary lava immunity. The first is duplicated by anything using the Obsidian Skull (e.g. Ankh Shield), so we can ignore that.

It's the water walking that's a problem. It's situational, and for me, it can be rather frustrating at times. The situational usage of water walking does not fit in with the general usage of Frostspark Boots. For that reason, water walking should be kept separate from Frostspark Boots.

Hey, you don't have to combine them, but I can relate to your point of it's effectiveness. I use a combination of the frog legs, vortex booster, frostspark boots, and master ninja gear for movement. Unfortunately when wearing the lava waders holding down on the space bar negates the water walking effect, and holding jump does not cause the player to auto jump when touching the surface of water after running out of flight power. So I can't really use them in place of the frostspark boots, but the lava and fire block immunity is still nice, so I keep them handy for adventuring in caves and such.

Back
Top Bottom