200 hours in, World Anxiety is setting in, also - is classic to easy for me?

Archolm

Terrarian
Hello all, I have owned Terraria for a long long time, and way back I think 1.1 or something I did a small playthrough but then a few hours in spoiled myself with an all you can have custom build castle map. It really put me off for a long time, seeing as you need to earn the items yourself or else whats the point to the entire game? I regressed to the, in my eyes, then, superior Starbound and never gave Terraria another glance. However a few months back I reinstalled it and i'm now 200 hours in on a real playthrough and loving the game for what it is. If you gave me this game when I was 14 I would have never played another game.

But damn it, I fell for the old throw the guide doll into the lava and see what it does without really googling it and before you know it I had spawned into hardmode before I really wanted to. Considering this was the start I figured Ill roll another world and make that into what I want pre hardmode. I rolled a world, using TerraMap to see all 3 crimson biomes had spawned next to each other. However it has very little sand/desert biome. This felt like a nice "home base" build map. And I started slaving away. I would occasionally dip into hardmode on the first world and dig up some ores, I'm really having a blast having it both ways, even though this may not be a legit way of having a playthrough. The ultimate goal is to have fun right?

But then I went farther, I used Tedit to try and get a functioning Antlion Farm, I wrecked a little bit of my world, nothing too big but like 2 screens of blocks feel unnatural now, and upon saving I also noticed previously explored parts get darkened so its like the map is brand new but you don't know the where or whats anymore! I guess I could live with that...

This coupled with the fact that i'm feeling Classic is a little to easy? Maybe? ... I'm kind of at a loss where to go now. Like my ultimate goal is to have a full on Master Mode experience and have a base like one of those youtube videos with everything sorted. But I also want to do like a Throium playthrough, that really expands the game from what I understand.

Should I restart on expert and lay off the Map (editing at least) viewing? But how do I get a manageable crimson biome? How do you manage the anxiety of having a solid world to build on? Or am I reading too much into it and is late game anything possible? Map editing wise?

I would love some advice. Thank you.

What I do before Hardmode is to manually backup my current world and character pre-hardmode. It makes me feel at ease knowing that the spread of the Crimson or Corruption and Hallow is reversible without map editing in case it gets real bad.
A good way to manage your Crimson biomes is to just use Scarab Bombs to make a trench surrounding them, then lining the sides with rope to stop the thorns from breaching containment. Furthermore, almost every single tunnel I make underground is 3 blocks wide to hinder the stripes of evil biome and Hallow from spreading. In Hardmode, I suggest a maximum of 3 altars for the least likely "damage" to your world.
Any world is a solid world to build on in my book. The middle's flat plains will do perfectly for your base.

Also, Master Mode is a no from me. (spoilers if you care) Not just because of the difficulty, but because of what it actually offers to make up for it. It just makes everyone take longer to die and kill you faster, changing nothing else, and your reward is just a simple pet or mount from bosses. Expert is the go-to difficulty for me, as it actually changes boss patterns and it's made up for by actually useful boss drops like the Shield of Cthulhu or Worm Scarf, etc.
If you're still super unsure, just go Journey Mode. It lets you "research" and then freely duplicate items, disable infection spread, adjust difficulty on the fly, become invincible, adjust enemy spawnrates, and more. Everything the anxious needs is here, even if at the slight sacrifice of legitimacy.

Journey Mode sounds perfect for you. You can even turn up the difficulty to whatever you want so you can have a perfect amount of challenge. Godmode, researching, and freezing time can help you easily build farms. There is an option to turn off evil spread if that stresses you out.

Back
Top Bottom