PC 6-bit Binary to Decimal Conversion - Using only Logic Gates!

Lycos Hayes

The Destroyer
Yes, I have figured it out... how to use AND gates and Logic Gate Lamps to convert the numbers 0-63 from a 6-bit Binary input so they can be output in Decimal to a 2 digit 7-Segment display.

My brain hurts....

Bin2Dec_7-Bit.png

Bin2Dec_7-Bit_Wires.png

The way it works is that there's a simple Pass-through for digits 0-9, off setting them by 1 in Order of Operations. This is important to have it done without breaking as everything happens in a single tick!

For every batch of digits with the same first number (10-19, 20-29, 30-39, etc.), the signal is split, fed into the output of the matching Ones digit pass-through (told you the one-step pass through was needed), and simultaneously, using Red wire, sends a signal to the appropriate Tens Digit switch (each one alternates between it's appropriate Tens Digit, and 0).

I kept having to adjust this to fit onto a different build I had, but it's all entirely controlled by the six switches just off to the right of center at the top.

Now with this... we can look into bigger projects without needing HOIKing of agents to convert Binary to BCD to Decimal.

Now try to do an 8 bit binary to BCD through the double dabble algorithm :p
That's the thing, this completely avoids the Double-Dabble Algorithtm and can convert binary directly into Decimal results, but with the extra step of needing to split the decimal into digits, I could probably try and figure out a way to convert into BCD, but that seems a bit backwards now that I've turned binary directly into decimal in a 6-bit setting XD

That's the thing, this completely avoids the Double-Dabble Algorithtm and can convert binary directly into Decimal results, but with the extra step of needing to split the decimal into digits, I could probably try and figure out a way to convert into BCD, but that seems a bit backwards now that I've turned binary directly into decimal in a 6-bit setting XD
It's easy to do an 8 bit binary to decimal with 256 AND gates, but the hard part is doing to BCD for displays :p It's a fun challenge though!

Try building this with a 16 bit input and you'll see the flaw in your design. Basically what you're doing is coding every single combination of those bits And, when you have 65 536 of those possible combinations, the build will get too big too fast (not to mention the time consumed). Thats why the double dabble algorithm exists.

Try building this with a 16 bit input and you'll see the flaw in your design. Basically what you're doing is coding every single combination of those bits And, when you have 65 536 of those possible combinations, the build will get too big too fast (not to mention the time consumed). Thats why the double dabble algorithm exists.
Way to make me feel like my experiment was useless. I was never intending this to be scaled beyond a 6 bit system. Of course it CAN be expanded, but that makes it needlessly massive.

Let's see you make Logic Gates do Double Dable.

Way to make me feel like my experiment was useless. I was never intending this to be scaled beyond a 6 bit system. Of course it CAN be expanded, but that makes it needlessly massive.

Let's see you make Logic Gates do Double Dable.
Sorry for that. I don't want to make any drama here.
Also I've already done that ;)

Back
Top Bottom