Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I think I have found a major issue with the game. When I try playing the game with high FPS (My monitor runs at 165hz) item frames, text from signs/chest (basically anything that has a cursor overlay) has huge flickering (I believe every in game frame) to a point it causes my eyes physical pain.

I play the game at 165hz 1920x1080 fullscreen (with frame skip off to get the full fps)
My first thought on this was "this could be linked to the fact my game doesn't run on a multiple of 60fps" so then I tested to see if the flickering still happened at 120hz and it still does, though it was way more consistent flickering than on 165hz. Then when I switch to 60fps, the cursor overlay works fine.

This leads me to believe it is an issue where Terraria freaks out over me having too many fps. I would appreciate if this critical bug was fixed as it is really a shame that it basically restricts people to play above 60fps.

Their really dropping the ball on this, its April 2022 and the flickering is still there at higher screen hz. I'm running at 144 and it's like a disco up in here!! So it's not all negative but seriously someone needs to look at this.

The game is meant to run at 60 fps and it can't run on more than that. That is why there are these visual glitches and bugs. I think i have the same problem although i have my refresh rate fixed on 60 when playing Terraira. (my monitor is 165 hz) This can't be fixed. I believe this is an engine limitation.

"The engine" can easily run at more than 60 fps (which you could figure out with 2 seconds of googling), its just that ReLogic implemented a lot of graphical animations to depend on the fps (which is not uncommon for the time the game was worked on initially), so fps is limited to 60 with standard graphics settings to keep those issues from happening.

"The engine" can easily run at more than 60 fps (which you could figure out with 2 seconds of googling), its just that ReLogic implemented a lot of graphical animations to depend on the fps (which is not uncommon for the time the game was worked on initially), so fps is limited to 60 with standard graphics settings to keep those issues from happening.
I didn't know that. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom