Weapons & Equip A cure for wiring woes

Frain Breeze

Terrarian
Just a couple tools to make wiring stuff over distances much less of a hassle.

Fish Tape
Appearance: It's one of those wind-up reels that lets you pull wires up through a wall
Tooltip: Feeds wire down
Effect: This is a tool that lets you place wire like you do rope.
Obtained: Sold by the Mechanic

Wire Gun
Appearance: Similar to the Harpoon Gun, but with some wire hooked on the end
Tooltip: Launches wire across gaps
Effect: This fires a projectile similar to a grappling hook, but when it makes contact, it places wire between you and the contact point. If you don't have enough wire, you only get a partial path.
Obtained: either Fish Tape + Grappling Hook, or Fish Tape + Harpoon Gun at the tinkerer's workshop.

*EDIT: Yes, there would be variants of these for each wire color

Last edited:
Definetly want to see this added. I suppose the Fish Tape is available in red, blue and green, to craft different wire guns and lay down different coloured wires?

My question is how does it know which way to go? When you put down rope it can only go down. That good for it but not always for wires. Sometimes we want it to go left or right. Sure it could acted like furniture and head the way you are facing but it then wouldn't be able to go up or down.

My best guess is that it would added something like a ranged weapon and head the direction the cursor is in relation to the player. Hold it left of you and it would send the wire in a straight line to the left. Hold it above you and it would go straight up.

My question is how does it know which way to go? When you put down rope it can only go down. That good for it but not always for wires. Sometimes we want it to go left or right. Sure it could acted like furniture and head the way you are facing but it then wouldn't be able to go up or down.

My best guess is that it would added something like a ranged weapon and head the direction the cursor is in relation to the player. Hold it left of you and it would send the wire in a straight line to the left. Hold it above you and it would go straight up.

The Fish Tape just goes down like rope. The Wire Gun is its upgrade, allowing you to shoot wire in the direction of your cursor.

I see. So the Fish Tape just goes down then. Would the wire gun be able to go through blocks?

It's an interesting thought, but I imagined it stopping on contact with blocks. If there's a need for it to go through blocks, maybe it could have a ghost version made with ectoplasm or something.

1311779404091.jpg

This describes my idea of this. I love it.

It's an interesting thought, but I imagined it stopping on contact with blocks. If there's a need for it to go through blocks, maybe it could have a ghost version made with ectoplasm or something.
Well that's what I though the fish tape would be for. There is often a need to send the wire through a number of blocks. If you are trying to build a teleporter system you may need to dig through large hills or other things. I dig long tunnels and deep pits when wiring my network.

Back
Top Bottom