Maps A simple Adventure Map rule framework

jopojelly

Retinazer
tModLoader
I have an idea for a tModLoader mod that would provide a simple framework for adventure map creators to enforce rules through simple .json files that they distribute with their world files.

The mod would automatically load the corresponding .json file (maybe even from an online database) and enforce the rules, allowing the player to play with the convenience of not struggling with remembering the particular rules of the map.

For example, a common theme in adventure maps is to trash any items dropped from enemies, so the simplest of these rules could prevent NPC from dropping loot.

Code:
{
  "noCoin": true,
  "noLoot": true,
}

A more complex example would be with regions defined to allow separate rules within regions. An even more complex example would be Triggers that spawn a boss and actuate blocks to force a boss fight in an area. Below is an example of how such a system might work:

Code:
{
  "noCoin": true,
  "noLoot": true,
  "noMine": true,
  "startInventory": {
    "removeAll": true,
    "addItem": [
    ]
  },
  "subRegions": [
    {
      "name": "A Peaceful Town",
      "x": 1000,
      "y": 300,
      "width": 200,
      "height": 200,
      "nospawn": true
    },
    {
      "name": "Chaos Zone",
      "x": 1200,
      "y": 800,
      "width": 600,
      "height": 200,
      "spawnRateMultiplier": 5
    },
    {
      "name": "Queen Bee Arena",
      "x": 200,
      "y": 600,
      "width": 100,
      "height": 100,
      "onEnterTrigger": "Start Queen Bee Fight"
    }
  ],
  "triggers": [
    {
      "name": "Start Queen Bee Fight",
      "spawnNPC": {
        "id": 222,
        "guaranteedLoot": 2888
      },
      "hitWire": [
      ]
    }
  ]
}

My question is, would anyone find use for such a system? It wouldn't be too hard of a mod to make, but I just want to gauge if there is interest before doing it. Also, the specific properties that can be set can grow or shrink based on the interest in the project.

i'd love this to be a vanilla thing, and i always thought about mods to enhance adventura maps as an awesome concept, but how many people will actually install a mod just to play an adventure map?

i feel like if these were world properties, editable with TEdit or something it'd be a great thing

Would love this, but the question, as have been stated above, is whether a player would really want to go through the effort to install a mod just to play one map. That's why I don't do non-vanilla mapmaking. And sometimes it almost feels like cheating.

Back
Top Bottom