A slightly more scientific Terraria: Health

So, uh, what shall I "explain" next? (after selecting your choice, tell me what you wanna see.)

• Weapons!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Armor!

• Enemies!

• NPCs!

• Biomes!

• Something else....

• Total voters

Tehpootisman

Official Terrarian
so this is, uh, a thing I did for a Terraria/RWBY Crossover fic (it's called Red Like Crimtane if you wanna check it out) but since I visited the plotbin I saw something about explaining Terraria scientifically.

So I figured i'd give it a twist, and explain it with not-quite-exactly-lore-based-Terrarian-science.
If you have any more ideas for other game mechanics to be explained in this way, uh, yeah, do tell.

------
[The following is an excerpt from Chapter 12 of Nexus Yearling's Book of the Terrarian Concept]

Life Force

The Life force, commonly referred to as "Health", is an even bigger anomaly than the likes of the Guide's origins, or how Terrarians can singlehandedly swing a massive breaker blade.

From my studies, this Life Force holds the Terrarian's body together, as well as the bodies of everything else in Terraria, ranging from a simple bunny to a ferocious Destroyer, unlike the bodies of the now-extinct humans.

Armor, rather than nullify attacks, seems to soften the blow. Even a Martian Saucer can still be scratched by the pathetic spark of a Wand of Sparkling, and even a completely armored warrior will feel the light sting of a mere green slime. Yet for some reason, a kick in the nuts is painful for both the sender and the receiver, even without Turtle Armor or a Thorns potion. Just a fact. Heh.

Anyways, Life Force, as I mentioned, is exactly what it sounds like.

There's a reason why the almost all Crimsonian funerals are always closed casket.

When a Terrarian's Life Force runs out through non-peaceful means, such as a bullet's impact, the abrupt loss causes the body to...well...dismember itself VIOLENTLY. Usual separation points include the neck, the waist, and commonly, the shoulders.

Even if the cause of death was something one would think of as less violent, such as drowning, poison, or burning, the body will still explode into a pile of guts. The only known creatures who do not do this are spirits, such as Wraiths, Chaos creatures of the underground Hallow, and children. Uh.

When a Terrarian dies of old age, however, their life force simply goes dormant. However, one must be careful with the body, as after "death", the body is very fragile, since the Life Force is simply not actively holding it together, but passively.

Upon a violent death, the deceased's remaining life force will form into a tombstone. Strangely, a rich person's tombstone will be decorated with gold. The cause of this is unknown.

On the bright side, a Terrarian can increase their life force via Life Crystals, and from there, Life Fruits. And even for a limited time, extend that with LifeForce potions. A higher life force also means an increased pain tolerance.

Life Force can be regained through many means, including potions. Being near Heart Laterns, swimming in sweet honey, or sitting next to a nice warm fireplace seems to speed up the regeneration of Life Force.

On a slightly related note, there's something my mom once told me...

Time heals all wounds.

Back
Top Bottom