PC Achievements in Terraria?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This right here is the real old school. Not the "8 Bits" graphics, nor Hardcore, nor any other gimmickry. Players who don't need the game to tell them "yo, dude, you're awesome" to feel proud of what they've done... That's old school.

Unreal Tournament 2004 never told me getting 100-0 on a Godlike deathmatch 1V1 against Xan was awesome. I knew it was.
What you mean? You don't want the game to tell you that you've done something awesome? I mean if we're considering that the achievements have some stats attached, it would be convinient to actually know you've gotten one, right?

Well, they're already going to put it in game, so might as well make the best out of it, don't you think? :)
They would have to change the dynamic of the game to add some stat modifier though.
The big point of the early game is getting metal to get better attack and defence, classic RPG stuff, adding stats not associated with items is problematic.
Are we going to start rolling dice at the beginning of a new game?
How will the people who bought the game on GOG.com feel about stats on Steam?
How will you reconcile the difference?

What you mean? You don't want the game to tell you that you've done something awesome? I mean if we're considering that the achievements have some stats attached, it would be convinient to actually know you've gotten one, right?
Past a certain age, teachers no longer need to hand out gold stickers to people who get good grades because students become intrinsically motivated to earn them. Same with Terraria. We play because we find it fun, not because we'll be getting gold stickers.

I also harbor serious doubts about whether achievements will be tied to tangible things like stat gains.

They would have to change the dynamic of the game to add some stat modifier though.
The big point of the early game is getting metal to get better attack and defence, classic RPG stuff, adding stats not associated with items is problematic.
Are we going to start rolling dice at the beginning of a new game?
How will the people who bought the game on GOG.com feel about stats on Steam?
How will you reconcile the difference?
Well I was thinking of the stats being ingame, not just Steam related, so all versions can get them! :)

At this point in time, with 1.3 pretty much "wrapped up" as it appears to be (meaning I'm doubting they'll modify things to add something as massive as stat gains from achievements) I'm mostly expecting the usual YOU OPENED YOUR INVENTORY WHOA AREN'T YOU AWESOME! quote Achievements unquote.

And yes, Baconfry pretty much described it... I guess I'm too old to find value in vapid, empty "you did this thing!" messages, unless they in some way alter the game itself through things other than vanity.

Maybe, the achievements could have different ranks, and whenever you do it, it gives you a certain amount of coins or a random item such as healing potions, or any other misc. item like that?

They would be only for steam I believe,
Unreal Tournament 2004 never told me getting 100-0 on a Godlike deathmatch 1V1 against Xan was awesome. I knew it was.
No, but still, there is still a sense of achievement in getting achievements, also your friends can see what awesome things you have done, so that way they know your not lying.

They would be only for steam I believe,

No, but still, there is still a sense of achievement in getting achievements, also your friends can see what awesome things you have done, so that way they know your not lying.
I agree, it doesn't have to be a flashy screen with ''achievement unlocked'' in the biggest font on your monitor, but something to just notify you.
[DOUBLEPOST=1422387697][/DOUBLEPOST]
At this point in time, with 1.3 pretty much "wrapped up" as it appears to be (meaning I'm doubting they'll modify things to add something as massive as stat gains from achievements) I'm mostly expecting the usual YOU OPENED YOUR INVENTORY WHOA AREN'T YOU AWESOME! quote Achievements unquote.

And yes, Baconfry pretty much described it... I guess I'm too old to find value in vapid, empty "you did this thing!" messages, unless they in some way alter the game itself through things other than vanity.
Would you be okay with a minimalistic but classy achievement announcment? So it doesn't make an elephant out of things but still kind of notifies you.

I'm got a bunch of games on Steam at this point. Most of them have achievements. The achievements don't add anything to the game experience.
They add to the Steam experience. You can show your friends all the achievements you have etc. That's great for new games, but Terraria isn't new.
It was an old-school game when it was new, sorta like FTL. Now I know FTL has it's own achievements and they are nice to look at, but I don't think that Terraria is the same experience as FTL: It's not an arcade type game, you don't play to get a high score, you don't defy death at every turn like in the combat in FTL.
I like Terraria because you get to shoot the :red:, as it were. You get to make it up as you go along.
Achievements create a kind of structure - that can be good, but Terraria is well-established as what it is.

These "awesome" things I see in most modern games are things you either do by playing, or boring, repetitive things that don't really add any real replay value to a game unless you do already like doing that kind of repetitive things.

I mean, really, look at the steam achievements? Most RPGs will have achievements for "level XX," as if it was a wondrous thing to level up to there. Or hey, this one tank game I've been playing has achievements for killing up to 1000 tanks... Which is something you'll do if you do play X times anyways.

It's either that, or achievements for getting RNG-locked things, which are entirely independent from a gamer's skill.

Yes, there's achievements for doing things like killing certain bosses in certain ways, things that do require skill, but they're the rarest. And also, how would that really benefit Terraria, a game where most of the fanbase seems to have a mentality which can be summed up as "you can't do X unless you're (famous Youtuber.)"? You would end up with a lot of people complaining about "impossible" achievements.

I've noticed that Terraria will get achievements sometimes in 1.3 or 1.3+, so I'm curious will the achievements be only available on the steam version of the game or on the GOG version too?
the xbox achevements sucked and were unrealisticly dumb. I hope thay don't add those One of then was to currupt most of the world and another was to hallow the world. Who wants to do that?? I think achements shuld be kill a boss using no buffs. Or kill a boss using a debuff. That would make it intersting.

These "awesome" things I see in most modern games are things you either do by playing, or boring, repetitive things that don't really add any real replay value to a game unless you do already like doing that kind of repetitive things.

I mean, really, look at the steam achievements? Most RPGs will have achievements for "level XX," as if it was a wondrous thing to level up to there. Or hey, this one tank game I've been playing has achievements for killing up to 1000 tanks... Which is something you'll do if you do play X times anyways.

It's either that, or achievements for getting RNG-locked things, which are entirely independent from a gamer's skill.

Yes, there's achievements for doing things like killing certain bosses in certain ways, things that do require skill, but they're the rarest. And also, how would that really benefit Terraria, a game where most of the fanbase seems to have a mentality which can be summed up as "you can't do X unless you're (famous Youtuber.)"? You would end up with a lot of people complaining about "impossible" achievements.
Eh, whatever, achievements being added isn't something im against but idc if they are ever added or not, there will probably be RNG based achievements like "Kill Pinky!" or "Kill Tim!" but there might be some fun challenging ones, depends on what red really wants to do.

I think achievements can be fun if they're done in a certain way. I know some games give their achievements obscure names or you can get achievements for doing random things you didn't know existed. Maybe having an achievement called something like 'genocidal maniac' that pops up when you've got a certain number of drops from one of the mobs could be in keeping with the slightly dark line of humor Terraria follows. I think if they did it light heartedly it could be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom