Game Mechanics Actual Elevator

WAR-THERAPY

Skeletron Prime
Howdy!
So i've been thinking.

Terraria has a huge technology gap, in terms of what someone can actualuy build or use.

We start with torches, platforms, and rope. a.k.a., we start with the same technological level as a young boyscout. totally enough in this game to get by and go through almost every obstacle.

Then we have the minecarts. which are very fast ways to go from A to B. this would be close to, for instance, the tech level of the industrial revolution. goody!

Then suddenly, once we get the mechanic...

... we can have automatic (electronic) doors, wired map sections, sliding walls, and... teleporters.

not to mention we also gain access to UFO's later on.

So i've been thinking. all of this is excelent to move around HORIZONTALY...
but if we want to move quivkly VERTICALY... we are stuck with portals or hoiktronics.

So i was thinking about making an actual elevator you can step into and actualy use.
I am well aware of the limitations of Terraria. And i know having moving blocks would likely be very HARD to do.

So i looked around, and discovered how these are handled in a game with similar limitations: Broforce.

In essence, an elevator requires space, background walls, AND a roof to collide with. This happens basically by making the elevator shaft first, and placing the elevator at the bottom - thich then results in the placed elevator automaticaly creating the cable system upwards, ending in the placed ceiling.

This would sort of fill the gap, in my opinion - aswell as allowing some different options for map builders. For instance, i play a lot on roleplay servers, and sometimes, help build the maps. And we often need to build elevators. how cool would that be if we actualy could?

So i've been thinking. all of this is excelent to move around HORIZONTALY...
but if we want to move quivkly VERTICALY... we are stuck with portals or hoiktronics.
I'm afraid I don't understand the problem, Teleportals relocate you to the area instantaneously, HOIKtronics operate at a similar speed. How could you possibly move any quicker than that?

Towards the start of the game Rope/Vines are needed simply because players jump height is limited, Towards the end of the game though you have Wings, Mounts, Teleportals, And so on to assist with moving vertically, All of which manage at a reasonable speed.

I'm fine with the idea of Elevator's being implemented for NPC housing purposes, But I don't see much of a change to what's currently used.

I'm afraid I don't understand the problem, Teleportals relocate you to the area instantaneously, HOIKtronics operate at a similar speed. How could you possibly move any quicker than that?

Towards the start of the game Rope/Vines are needed simply because players jump height is limited, Towards the end of the game though you have Wings, Mounts, Teleportals, And so on to assist with moving vertically, All of which manage at a reasonable speed.

I'm fine with the idea of Elevator's being implemented for NPC housing purposes, But I don't see much of a change to what's currently used.
i don't want to move FASTER. i want to use elevators, which MOVE and have a bit of a visual flavor to them, plus helping in terms of thematic building. How amy supposed to make a skyscrapper without actual elevators? skyscrappers DONT have teleporters.

i don't want to move FASTER. i want to use elevators, which MOVE and have a bit of a visual flavor to them, plus helping in terms of thematic building. How amy supposed to make a skyscrapper without actual elevators? skyscrappers DONT have teleporters.
My point was you said "I want to move quickly vertically, But we're only stuck with teleportals/HOIKtronics", I was asking in what way are those methods slow?

My point was you said "I want to move quickly vertically, But we're only stuck with teleportals/HOIKtronics", I was asking in what way are those methods slow?
when i wrote that, i was refering to anything that wasn't instant or near instant, which sadly is simply rope.

This idea is GREAT. I really would like at least something like vertical minecart, just for aestetic purposes. Using ropes or chains is a little bit... Not techy. So I like and support this.

Just so you know, it is actually possible to build elavators already using actuators. However, an actual block would be nice.

Hmm...I mean, really, an elevator could work a lot like a Minecart, just...up. That is, something that you ride. The main difficulty would be in having it be a stand-able space...err, nevermind. The point is, I've thought that elevators should be in the game since the day I bought it!

Back
Top Bottom