Actuator bug? How do I resolve this mess?

Choirandvice

Terrarian
I was building a bait farm, and then this happened:

http://i.imgur.com/oI85Hm5.jpg

Half the actuators are on, half are off - can't work out why. The only solution I can see involves tearing the whole thing up just so I can fix the states of the blocks. Is there a non-insane way to fix this or should I just scrap the project?

Ok.

This may be a bug but I'm still gonna offer suggestions. ;)

1) Attempt to rewire and replace all actuators.
2) you may have gone over the wire length limit (though unlikely), disconnect some wire.
3) Make the farm smaller?
4) Do it the old fashioned way :p
5) Wait for 1.3 and see if they fix your bug (Not recommended)

Ok.

This may be a bug but I'm still gonna offer suggestions. ;)

1) Attempt to rewire and replace all actuators.
2) you may have gone over the wire length limit (though unlikely), disconnect some wire.
3) Make the farm smaller?
4) Do it the old fashioned way :p
5) Wait for 1.3 and see if they fix your bug (Not recommended)

According to the wiki the wire length limit was removed. Also the farm was functioning fine earlier today.

Edit: But thank you for the suggestion - just hoping there was a magical server override to reset all actuators but I guess no such thing exists.

Maybe try 1, 3, or 4?
(Most definitely not 5)

If that doesn't work, your save file may be corrupted, or maybe just reloaded.

It's an occasional glitch with wiring that happens on larger circuits. Sometimes the pulse doesn't carry through the whole circuit in its allotted time and it doesn't complete the update. It's annoying. It's possible being on a multiplayer server with latency (or on single player with a slow CPU or heavy CPU load) may also make it misbehave.

You don't need to rebuild the entire thing. Toggle the state so the area in the upper left is inactive, break the out-of-sync blocks and replace them (inactive blocks are breakable), then reseed as needed. If it becomes a recurring problem, consider breaking the farm up into smaller circuits on separate switches to prevent it from happening again.

If it's a latency issue, it's extremely sensitive (we're doing local multi, and the server is on my comp) and my comp is pretty beefy so the load shouldn't be a problem either.

We disconnected the part where the circuit was broken and toggled all the blocks to "off" and broke up the circuit from there into four different circuits, which should hopefully help. Thanks for that.

It's an occasional glitch with wiring that happens on larger circuits. Sometimes the pulse doesn't carry through the whole circuit in its allotted time and it doesn't complete the update. It's annoying. It's possible being on a multiplayer server with latency (or on single player with a slow CPU or heavy CPU load) may also make it misbehave.

You don't need to rebuild the entire thing. Toggle the state so the area in the upper left is inactive, break the out-of-sync blocks and replace them (inactive blocks are breakable), then reseed as needed. If it becomes a recurring problem, consider breaking the farm up into smaller circuits on separate switches to prevent it from happening again.
I was having the same problem with the actuators on my crystal farm. Do you think setting up separate parts to multiple switches may solve the problem? Or maybe figure out a way to hook up multiple timers and only have them activate once?

If you want an easy way to fix the issue (but not helping to prevent it). 1.3.1 has come with an solution!
You can craft the Actuation Rod and then you can make the actuator blocks go on/off individually.
Actuation_Rod.png

Personally, I think the issue of this is actually some sort of framerate drops, I've only encountered this during multiplayer.

Back
Top Bottom