Another receiving tile data post...

[WSU] Maverick

Terrarian
I'm hosting my own Terraria server and it was working until I switched Internet providers. Now I'm over PPPoE and had to reset my router settings. I restored most of the settings, but Terraria still doesn't work remotely...

Important Information:
  • The servers work fine from inside the network (I play them)
  • Taking my laptop to the coffee shop, the same game version(v1.3.5.3) gets stuck "Receiving tile data: 6%"
  • I can verify the ports work fine as I can connect over Telnet on that port (7775). It's in binary, so I can't usually tell what's happening, but it did say the merchant was arriving once.
  • My connection is 140Mb/20Mb, so I doubt that's the issue.
  • Server is Ubuntu 17.10
My question is, now what? I think I've tried everything... Is there something else a network wizard would try?

Last edited:
If you could PM me the server details I would like to try it on my end. Additionally something I want you to try is on the host machine delete config.json located in Documents\My Games\Terraria then launch the application version of Terraria. After that close down Terraria and launch the server.

Also PM me a screenshot of the Portforwarding done on your router, I want to look over your settings, I don't expect to find anything wrong since you got to receiving tile data but I just want to glance over a couple things.

One more question, are you running a modded or vanilla Terraria? Are you using any other server hosting solution than the one provided by Terraria by default?

If you could PM me the server details I would like to try it on my end. Additionally something I want you to try is on the host machine delete config.json located in Documents\My Games\Terraria then launch the application version of Terraria. After that close down Terraria and launch the server.
One more question, are you running a modded or vanilla Terraria? Are you using any other server hosting solution than the one provided by Terraria by default?

PM to come after this, but I'll answer some stuff publicly.
  • (server details) Sorry, I forgot to mention this is a self hosted container instance of Ubuntu 17.10.
  • (config.json) It's not a Windows instance. Do you want me to try to find the config file or is it not a Linux problem?
  • Haven't gotten into modding yet, so very vanilla. Just extract the zip and configure to suit. I know the config is good, because A) I play it and B) it did work beforehand.
  • Possibly interesting is that it's running as a systemd service in the background, but I don't see that as being different than a regular host.

I'm not going to lie, Linux is... murky waters for me, I don't have much experience in it. So hopefully we can get someone with experience running and hosting Terraria in a Linux environment or even a developer to give us some clues as to what might be going on, like what specifically is happening at 6%

For the next person to give some insight: I get the same thing, stuck at receiving Tile Data 6% when attempting to connect. We know it's an external network issue because the user can join on an internal network, this leads me believe that perhaps a firewall setting might be causing an issue, I could not see any obvious solutions from this but I am not well versed in network firewalls either. It's not a configuration issue because the user can play locally just fine, it's not a world generation issue because the world functions over a local network just fine.

I'm really sorry I was unable to help hopefully we can get a developer in here. @Leinfors do you have any ideas, or does any of the development staff have an idea as to what's going on?

Thanks for the help! I definitly wouldn't have known who to poke :)

Something interesting from a PCAP of note:
After the connection is started and some data is exchanged, there is an out of order packet and a bunch of TCP retransmissions before ending transmission.

Back
Top Bottom