Weapons & Equip Arkhalis Hardmode Upgrade

Rycko_02

Terrarian
Hello everyone,

The Arkhalis is a very powerful weapon Pre-Hardmode, but it falls off hard almost instantly due to its low base damage. I was thinking that having an upgrade somewhere in early to late hardmode would be useful (and more importantly, cool). Some may argue that the Fetid Baghnakhs is an indirect upgrade, but I disagree because it:
a) Can only be obtained in Crimson Worlds
b) Does not have the directional attack feature that the Arkhalis has

I am not too sure as to how this upgrade would be obtained/crafted, but I think that the Arkhalis would (obviously) be one of the main ingredients. Something that I thought of would be to use Luminite Bars and Solar Fragments, but nothing other than Solar gear can be crafted in this way so I am not sure if it would "work" in this scenario. As for the details:
Damage: 125*
Use Time: 24**
Critical Chance: 8%
Knockback: 7
Velocity: 15
AoE: 50%/100% larger than current size
Projectile Damage: 71
Projectile Speed:
Sell: 20 Gold Coins

*This may be too high a number, but since this will be Post-Moonlord gear I think that it could be reasonable. If not, I would think around 90-110 would be more reasonable.
**This isn't the proper use time, but it is the one written on the Wiki, so I shall leave it as is. The weapon itself swings at a much faster rate than "24".

With that being said, the weapon will function akin to the current Arkhalis, but with projectiles. I was thinking the projectiles would be some sort of beam that would form around the edges of the blade and fire in the direction of the cursor at a relatively high speed (maybe the same speed as wooden arrows from a Molten Bow?). The projectiles would deal less damage than the blade itself as there would be 1 projectile (split into 3) fired every second (or roughly around that time). Two of them would form on either side of the sword, with one forming directly near the players hands, sort of like the Sky Fracture, except that the projectiles would act as one projectile (if this is too complicated, think of the sword firing a triangle with swords at each of the corners (this would only be a sprite effect, the projectile would only be able to hit once)). The projectile would be able to pierce one enemy and shatter at the second enemy struck, and it would not go through blocks (although the light effect would).

Sorry for the long post, I tried to include as many details as possible to make it clear. Any constructive criticism is appreciated.

Thank you,
Rycko_02

Giving it a projectile would go against the spirit of Arkhalis in my opinion. I think the best way to go about an Arkhalis upgrade is to rework the Psycho Knife and make it work like Arkhalis instead.
Now I have an image of Jason rapidly swinging his knife around in my head. :dryadgrin:
But I think it would make sense to replace that weapon as it's so useless.

I'd love to have an upgraded version that I could run with in late hardmode (especially after how long it took to find one)... it's just so convenient for light/protection. I'd honestly be happy with a way to just up its damage stat with a broken hero sword or something.

Arkhalis already works far longer than it should in hardmode.
Not in Expert Mode, which is arguably more popular nowadays.
[doublepost=1555556695,1555556553][/doublepost]
Giving it a projectile would go against the spirit of Arkhalis in my opinion. I think the best way to go about an Arkhalis upgrade is to rework the Psycho Knife and make it work like Arkhalis instead.
What do you mean by this exactly? If it's a late hardmode/endgame weapon it almost has to be able to have some sort of ranged attack mode because otherwise it's rendered useless, particularly in caves and when building large structures.

Not in Expert Mode, which is arguably more popular nowadays.
[doublepost=1555556695,1555556553][/doublepost]
What do you mean by this exactly? If it's a late hardmode/endgame weapon it almost has to be able to have some sort of ranged attack mode because otherwise it's rendered useless, particularly in caves and when building large structures.
Yes, in Expert Mode.

Yes, in Expert Mode.
The only scenario in which it is useful is when cornering a flying enemy (which doesn't happen very often) or when fighting land enemies (PA, Wraiths, Zombies etc.) in the open, in which case you'll probably get sniped by a Gastropod or something. It has high DPS, yes, but as for utility, it doesn't do much in Expert Mode.

They are melee for a reason. If you are worried about being sniped, dust off your shotgun and use it instead. I've even fended off eclipse mobs with Arkhalis.

Now I'm just theorycrafting here, but there might be a place for an extremely high DPS melee weapon with medium-short range. Lategame pre-Lunar melee doesn't have anything that deals exceptionally high single-target damage, while magic gets the Razorpine and Bubble Gun, and ranged has the Tsunami and Xenopopper. I think there are situations in which a Bubble Gun-like melee weapon could work. You could vaporize Corites and such before they could touch you. If it were given around double the range of the Butcher's Chainsaw, I think I might be comfortable with using it if its DPS was worthwhile.

The only scenario in which it is useful is when cornering a flying enemy (which doesn't happen very often) or when fighting land enemies (PA, Wraiths, Zombies etc.) in the open, in which case you'll probably get sniped by a Gastropod or something. It has high DPS, yes, but as for utility, it doesn't do much in Expert Mode.
Probably because it's obtainable at the beginning of the game?

Probably because it's obtainable at the beginning of the game?
Sorry if I misunderstood, but I thought you said it was good well into expert hardmode, but now you're saying it isn't because it's obtainable at the very start of the game?

What I'm saying is that the Arkhalis becomes near useless except when cornering an enemy when it comes to hardmode due to the high defense and health that enemies have. For non-expert, it's viable all through the pre-mech boss phase, but after that it falls off, which is why I said that this would be a pre/post Moonlord weapon.
[doublepost=1555660229,1555660090][/doublepost]
They are melee for a reason. If you are worried about being sniped, dust off your shotgun and use it instead. I've even fended off eclipse mobs with Arkhalis.
Yeah, but I shouldn't have to switch to an entirely different class just to kill an enemy that's further away from me, especially in late hardmode/endgame. The projectile is just another way of making it useful, such as the Starfury shooting stars and the Meowmere shooting cats.

Do you even know what melee means? Just because a few melee weapons were made overkill by making them ranged hybrids doesn't mean the rest of the existing melee weapons need to be overhauled with a rocket launcher.

Do you even know what melee means? Just because a few melee weapons were made overkill by making them ranged hybrids doesn't mean the rest of the existing melee weapons need to be overhauled with a rocket launcher.
Yes, I do understand what it means literally. I also know what it means in Terraria. So far, all you've done is make a point that it shouldn't have an upgrade with your only argument being that it shouldn't be "overkill" and that "I don't want it to be like other ranged-melee hybrids". Sorry if I'm coming across as rude but haven't seen you contribute to my post in a meaningful way so far. As for your "overkill" comment about the sword being a "rocket launcher" NOWHERE in my description does anything come CLOSE to that, except the potential triangular shape of the projectile. 71 projectile damage, no splash, not affected by gravity. Damn.

Now I'm just theorycrafting here, but there might be a place for an extremely high DPS melee weapon with medium-short range. Lategame pre-Lunar melee doesn't have anything that deals exceptionally high single-target damage, while magic gets the Razorpine and Bubble Gun, and ranged has the Tsunami and Xenopopper. I think there are situations in which a Bubble Gun-like melee weapon could work. You could vaporize Corites and such before they could touch you. If it were given around double the range of the Butcher's Chainsaw, I think I might be comfortable with using it if its DPS was worthwhile.

Anyways, as for what Baconfry said and the person who mentioned the Psycho Knife part, I do think there could be some good synergy here, particularly if the PK passive affected the projectile, since you could unleash good damage, but that would probably make the projectile too powerful. If it only affected the blade, I could definitely see it do super well against almost any melee enemy which could be good. Basically like a damaging forcefield that enemies couldn't get through, with the big weakness being the lack of high ranged damage, especially if the projectile moves slowly. Maybe I'll draw a mock-up or something, but not guaranteeing anything, hehe.

This seams like a pretty good idea. I would kinda also like a hard mode breaker blade, but that’s probably just nostalgia.

Is it? Well technically it’s a a drop from a prehardmode boss, but you’re correct in the way that it’s impossible to use in prehardmode.

Back
Top Bottom