Ask a Music Producer (composer really) Anything!

g4l4xic

Terrarian
Hello everyone, its g4l4xic the famous music producer!! That was funny... right? Because I'm not famous? Haha anyways i'm a music composer who produces EDM (although people typically say 'producer' when it comes to some forms of EDM and electronic music), and I have had over a year of experience. Feel free to ask me anything as long as its not too too personal (like dont ask about like really specific sexual stuff or whatever because, well, its personal... not sure why you would ask stuff like that though). Im from Arizona in the US, and I produce music mainly as a hobby but I plan to expand on it business wise and gain a following, as I love what I do. This has to do with Terraria in the way that I am starting to make sound tracks for games like it, and I have been making music for a work-in-progress mod of mine. Go ahead, AMA!

How do you make equaliser-type effects in your videos?

Well, for my music (I say music instead of video because equalizers affect audio only, or at least the ones im familiar with), I use the equalizer plugin that comes with the DAW I use. Just in case you or anyone else doesnt know, a plugin is basically a program that relies on the daw to be used, and that either creates or applies effects on sounds, with the daw being the digital audio workstation, or the main software you use to arrange the sounds, load samples, generally make music, and a lot more things.

However I might have misunderstood your question and you might have asked about the process rather than generally how/ what i use to equalize, so in this case it depends on what parts of my tracks need equalization or should have it. Typically if a sound sounds too high pitched or muffled ill equalize it. I would also do it if I want that sort of muffled effect that fades away leading up to the main part of the song or drop or whatever you want to call it. In regards to the equalizer interface itself, its pretty simple and intuitive, as you just adjust each frequency's/pitch's amplitude/volume. With my equalizer you can also see each frequency's original amplitude so you know which are higher and which are lower.

Or.... maybe you are wondering how can YOU equalize your video's audio... well most Daws come with equalizers, but im assuming you dont want all the stuff other than the equalizer in this case, so I bet theres an equalizer program/application that comes by itself, although I havent looked into it so im not sure exactly what is out there. I do know of a free (im 99% sure its free) amazing audio editor that includes equalization though. its called audacity, and its literally extremely useful honestly with all of its features.

I hope at least one of these answers answered your question, although I guess I didnt understand exactly what the question was haha... so I answered all possible meanings I could think of :p

(like dont ask about like really specific sexual stuff or whatever because, well, its personal... not sure why you would ask stuff like that though)
I don't know why would people ask that to others.

Anyway, what's your favorite food or drink when you work? Maybe you have a snack or something while working?

I don't know why would people ask that to others.

Anyway, what's your favorite food or drink when you work? Maybe you have a snack or something while working?
Yeah true honestly, i guess i included that just in case, but i didnt really need to, fair enough.

To answer your question though, I sometimes drink an energy drink called rock-star while working, mainly if im tired, but not in high amounts. the company who owns the drink supports concerts and music, which in this case it would be kind of ironic that i drink it because im a music composer i guess. I also drink Arizona fruit juice cocktails (arizona is the brand), and now that i think about it i literally live in Arizona in the US so uhh...

anyways I mostly just consume drinks while im working, but for snacks sometimes i just eat a protein bar or a nature valley granola bar. Or some cashews i guess. I hope this answers your question!

I am willing to start producing electronic music, wich program do you use?
and how you started to make your first tracks? :naughty:

Best DAWs and Which One I Use

Good question, I have actually transitioned from FL studio 20 to Ableton Live 10 recently (those are DAWs/programs). For the very best daw for both composing and performing live in overall features along with efficiency of use, i would definitely recommend at least the standard or suite version of Ableton, which comes at the price of $449 and i think around $700-$800 respectively, although there is the intro version i think its called.

thats the best of the best honestly, but if the price is too high or if youre not planning on starting a full music career, but rather just composing as a hobby or whatnot, then it depends on how many features you want, what operating system you have, and a little on what genre of music you're planning on composing.

i have already done research on this a while back to see what to start out with. I have heard good things about logic pro although its only for mac/apple computer users, but from memory i think it was around the $100-$300 range, and definitely worth it.

other than that i would recommend fl studio sort of, although IMO the equivalent version of ableton for each version of fl studio is better (like the basic version of ableton is better than fl studios basic version). Fl studio is popular amongst hip hop artists though i think, and has a nice piano roll (the tab where you make a pattern of notes of different notes/keys), but isnt the best for live performancesThe Propeller head Reason DAW is also a bit less popular but an excellent pick, along with Pro Tools.

The Process/Parts of Making Tracks and Kinda How I Started

Then comes how to start with making tracks, or at least how i did it:

first you... well wait actually it depends on what daw you’re using because each daw has mainly a different interface, and so creating tracks is different on each... but what i CAN say is that I started with watching tutorials for my specific daw, back at the beginning of my time with fl studio. To be concise and helpful with some parts of daws though:

For creating/getting sounds: create sounds (sounds or loops/patterns really) with the Vst generator plugins that come with the daw, get new sound generating synths, or get or buy samples online or use the ones that come with your daw.

Next for actually using sounds: put the stuff you now have into (whats typically called) the playlist, or the place where you arrange all the sounds/loops/patterns keeping in mind the tempo of the sound/loop/pattern along with the key and musical scale its in, and making sure all sounds’ tempos, keys, and scales match at an individual part of the track

Then for editing sounds: use the other type of plugins or VSTs, effect plugins, to apply effects to the sounds, like reverb, delay, equalization or filtering, compression, limiting, sidechaining, literally increasing the F***ing amplitude/volume, literally F***ing slapping a SOUNDGOODIZER on the sound if your lazy... and much more, but for now id say those are the most important except for the last 2.

And finally, for another important step: mixing and mastering to make the audio quality better and the audio itself more punchy, stand out, and have a better overall feel. Im not gonna go too too in depth on this one for now though.

Final Note

thats just about all i thought i would cover, although there is more to it, and well this is like the outline of it all, as it doesn't include any specifics really. I really hope this helped, and just contact me on this page or anywhere really for any more help, of course i would be willing to answer any questions you or anyone might have

other than that i would recommend fl studio sort of, although IMO the equivalent version of ableton for each version of fl studio is better (like the basic version of ableton is better than fl studios basic version). Fl studio is popular amongst hip hop artists though i think, and has a nice piano roll (the tab where you make a pattern of notes of different notes/keys), but isnt the best for live performancesThe Propeller head Reason DAW is also a bit less popular but an excellent pick, along with Pro Tools.

Then for editing sounds: use the other type of plugins or VSTs, effect plugins, to apply effects to the sounds, like reverb, delay, equalization or filtering, compression, limiting, sidechaining, literally increasing the F***ing amplitude/volume, literally F***ing slapping a SOUNDGOODIZER on the sound if your lazy... and much more, but for now id say those are the most important except for the last 2.

I am using ableton live 9, I haven't thougth on taking a look into other programs maybe I'll give it a shot to FL

Also thanks to your advice I made this loop from an already made song, by the moment its still har for me to find the rigth way to make music by how I would like it to be, but I made some test on another simple an already made song by cutting some parts, delay, limiting and minor roofing of the bass and at the end compresing hi-hats.

I don't really know what I did I prety much just tested some audio filtering, saw some youtube tutorials from Disciple about presets and bass design: Presets tutorial & Bass design

You can actually learn some good things from others, anyways g4l4xic thanks for the advise and if could hear the edit I made I would be very proud of one of my first works on producing: Not my song, but edit

:dryadgrin:

Back
Top Bottom