Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Terraria bug.PNG
In my files, my main world only has a backup and no actual world file and the backup is from last year. I discovered this while trying to use Tedit. I tried changing the file into a world file but it appeared to be from last year, having the old man and virtually no house. please fix this as quickly as possible. All I need is how to make a new backup file of my world. Thanks!

Last edited:
I might know exactly what this is; I just struggled with this a few days ago.
Do you happen to have cloud saving enabled?

If not, you can ignore this post. But if so:

For SOME reason, it ONLY saves your currently used worlds/characters to the cloud, and not on the main local directory. You can basically only have one or the other. :dryadmad: VERY unintuitive for people who want to save extra copies just in case, or to use mods/edits/utilities.

Steam DOES save a local version of cloud saves... BUT, they're VERY hard to find and use a ridiculously complicated series of numbers to represent the games and folders, rather than the names of said games/folders. In my case, it was:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\144390931\105600
Uh huh. Yeah. That's so straightforward ANYONE could just figure THAT out. /sarcasm :dryadconfused:

Of course, the BEST way to do it is to simply easily download your cloud files (and save copies locally as needed just in case). But, there's no easy way to get to your cloud saves from your Steam client or account, except if you happen to find this magical friggin' link that goes to an orphan Steam page with no links leading to it:

https://store.steampowered.com/account/remotestorage
From there, you can easily download your backups! It's so simple! Now if only there was a friggin' button to easily access it from your Steam account/library... but noooo, of course not. %:sigh:

I've left feedback for the Steam Team to make this easier to access, but of course they've had problems for decades that still haven't been fixed so I won't hold my breath. All I can say is to share this link with anyone else who has this problem, because apparently word-of-mouth is the only way to get to your cloud files...

...Other than the aforementioned number-puke directories of course. :dryadrolleyes:

(Edit: Alternatively, when turning on the game, I think you can click a little button under your character and world (on the character-select and world-select screens) to tell it to no longer save them to cloud storage. Then probably play a bit to ensure the local backup is made. Then I THINK it will make the files available in your main game directory. After you make secure local copies to play around with in Tedit and all is well, you can then reactivate cloud backup for the character/world when you're ready. Don't quote me on that though, that's just a theory. A game theory~! :dryadwink:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom