Weapons & Equip Band of Starpower tweek discussion: Magic in a Crimson world

What change would you prefer to help fix the Band of Starpower problem?

• Make the Band drop from Crimson Hearts too.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Make the Band completely independent from the evil biome.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Make the Band obtainable through some NPC or station which exchanges items between the evils.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Make the Band have a Crimson counterpart which can be used similarly, but spices it up a little.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Make the Band obtainable through an in-world way to grow the alternate evil, making it challenging.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Probably the most vital item in a mage class's arsenal is the Mana Regeneration Band or one of it's upgraded forms. The Band of Starpower, which is used to make the Mana Regen Band is only dropped from the Shadow Orbs of the Corruption or by fishing up Corruption crates in the Corruption, making it unobtainable within a natural Crimson world. If a player wants to use magic in a Crimson world, they only have 3 options; none of them ideal:

Don't use the band at all.
Just tough it out using the natural mana regeneration. This makes being a mage significantly more difficult and doesn't seem to be the way the progression is meant to be.

Steal a band from another world.
Make new worlds until you get a Corruption one (or beat the Wall of Flesh to unlock the ability to choose). Go break some orbs until you get the band, probably slaying the Eater of Worlds a few times in the process. Almost feel like cheating? It does to me.

Make an artificial Corruption using resources from another world.
This is even less viable. You have to wait until post-Mechanical game in the Corruption world to even START to use this method. Then it's a matter of making enough money to buy a Clentaminator, waiting 'til Blood Moon to buy Purple Solution, then building a large enough Corruption area to fish out crates, then actually taking the time to fish out a crate with a Band of Starpower. This one really only works if you're willing to put half a game's worth of effort into another world first.​

Now, it may be more or less unimportant to some (not a magic user, prefers Corruption worlds, doesn't mind using multiple worlds), but to those who care about it, it's a big bummer. I propose a few different changes that could be made to the obtaining of the band, which will hopefully make magic using a bit easier for those who wish to wield it. I'm also hoping to get some feedback from anyone with suggestions of their own.

Make the Band of Starpower a mutual drop from both evils.
Crimson Hearts have a chance to drop Bands of Starpower too. This would be an ideal equalizer. However, that would also leave the Panic Necklace without a Corruption counterpart. I propose a Corruption necklace which also aids in avoiding further damage after being hit. The Rage Necklace I suggest would protect the player from knockback for about 2-5 seconds after being hit, allowing them to get out of being cornered more easily. Perhaps an additional few points of defense would be fair as well, seeing as it gives no aid to actually avoiding enemies. This solution would have an additional purpose of adding a bit of love for the Corruption as well.

Completely cut the band from the evils, make it obtainable elsewhere at a similar point in progression.
Making the source of the Band of Starpower independent of the world evil. Perhaps a NPC sells the band after you break an orb/heart or after a meteorite falls? Maybe you craft it at a Crimson/Demon Alter from Fallen Stars? It could even be a rare chest find underground.

Allow the player to trade or buy items from the parallel evil.
A bit of an outlandish idea I had; perhaps an NPC would allow you to access stuff from the other evil after beating the boss of your evil. It wouldn't be totally equal, but it wouldn't be too much of a pain to go just one boss without it. For example, give this NPC your Panic Necklace to get a Band of Starpower in return. This NPC is apparently from a world/universe where the other evil occurred and is willing to trade for your equally desirable goods. Or make a station of some kind to craft them into their other world counterpart.

Give the Crimson their own magical band which could be used to make a Mana Regen Band.
The Crimson gets their own band which is functionally similar, but different enough to make early-game magic a bit more interesting. The Band of Bloodmagic will increase the user's maximum mana by killing enemies, capping at 40 addition mana (twice that of the Band of Starpower). The details of this item can be discussed, I know I don't know much about item balancing in Terraria. When crafting the Mana Regeneration Band, it can be used as a substitute for the Band of Starpower. This would still leave the Panic Necklace without a counterpart, so part of the first suggestion could be incorporated here.

A way to grow the other evil into an your world without jumping worlds.
Maybe some enemy or NPC can give seeds from the opposite evil. Heck, even swapping the seed drops from the EoC might be possible. I know I never have a use for the seeds as they are now. Or, as is a staple in Terraria, make a horrible dark ritual to infect your world with the other evil, with no disregard to the repercussions it would have on the world or its citizens. This would be the most painful and difficult solution, really only worth it for the hardcore players. But, idk, some people like working extra hard. And really, it would probably require the least effort from the devs.
Again, I'd love to get some feedback on this!

A proposal for the crimson heart concept: Missed shots, when despawning, restores 1/3 of what it cost to shoot it. This would not work for multi shot magic weapons, such as the poison staff.

Rage necklace is useless as soon as you get a cobalt shield then
[doublepost=1523922302,1523922169][/doublepost]Maybe make it be something with damage

Probably the most vital item in a mage class's arsenal is the Mana Regeneration Band or one of it's upgraded forms. The Band of Starpower, which is used to make the Mana Regen Band is only dropped from the Shadow Orbs of the Corruption or by fishing up Corruption crates in the Corruption, making it unobtainable within a natural Crimson world. If a player wants to use magic in a Crimson world, they only have 3 options; none of them ideal:

Don't use the band at all.
Just tough it out using the natural mana regeneration. This makes being a mage significantly more difficult and doesn't seem to be the way the progression is meant to be.

Make new worlds until you get a Corruption one (or beat the Wall of Flesh to unlock the ability to choose). Go break some orbs until you get the band, probably slaying the Eater of Worlds a few times in the process. Almost feel like cheating? It does to me.

Make an artificial Corruption using resources from another world.
This is even less viable. You have to wait until post-Mechanical game in the Corruption world to even START to use this method. Then it's a matter of making enough money to buy a Clentaminator, waiting 'til Blood Moon to buy Purple Solution, then building a large enough Corruption area to fish out crates, then actually taking the time to fish out a crate with a Band of Starpower. This one really only works if you're willing to put half a game's worth of effort into another world first.​

Now, it may be more or less unimportant to some (not a magic user, prefers Corruption worlds, doesn't mind using multiple worlds), but to those who care about it, it's a big bummer. I propose a few different changes that could be made to the obtaining of the band, which will hopefully make magic using a bit easier for those who wish to wield it. I'm also hoping to get some feedback from anyone with suggestions of their own.

Make the Band of Starpower a mutual drop from both evils.
Crimson Hearts have a chance to drop Bands of Starpower too. This would be an ideal equalizer. However, that would also leave the Panic Necklace without a Corruption counterpart. I propose a Corruption necklace which also aids in avoiding further damage after being hit. The Rage Necklace I suggest would protect the player from knockback for about 2-5 seconds after being hit, allowing them to get out of being cornered more easily. Perhaps an additional few points of defense would be fair as well, seeing as it gives no aid to actually avoiding enemies. This solution would have an additional purpose of adding a bit of love for the Corruption as well.

Completely cut the band from the evils, make it obtainable elsewhere at a similar point in progression.
Making the source of the Band of Starpower independent of the world evil. Perhaps a NPC sells the band after you break an orb/heart or after a meteorite falls? Maybe you craft it at a Crimson/Demon Alter from Fallen Stars? It could even be a rare chest find underground.

Allow the player to trade or buy items from the parallel evil.
A bit of an outlandish idea I had; perhaps an NPC would allow you to access stuff from the other evil after beating the boss of your evil. It wouldn't be totally equal, but it wouldn't be too much of a pain to go just one boss without it. For example, give this NPC your Panic Necklace to get a Band of Starpower in return. This NPC is apparently from a world/universe where the other evil occurred and is willing to trade for your equally desirable goods. Or make a station of some kind to craft them into their other world counterpart.

Give the Crimson their own magical band which could be used to make a Mana Regen Band.
The Crimson gets their own band which is functionally similar, but different enough to make early-game magic a bit more interesting. The Band of Bloodmagic will increase the user's maximum mana by killing enemies, capping at 40 addition mana (twice that of the Band of Starpower). The details of this item can be discussed, I know I don't know much about item balancing in Terraria. When crafting the Mana Regeneration Band, it can be used as a substitute for the Band of Starpower. This would still leave the Panic Necklace without a counterpart, so part of the first suggestion could be incorporated here.

A way to grow the other evil into an your world without jumping worlds.
Maybe some enemy or NPC can give seeds from the opposite evil. Heck, even swapping the seed drops from the EoC might be possible. I know I never have a use for the seeds as they are now. Or, as is a staple in Terraria, make a horrible dark ritual to infect your world with the other evil, with no disregard to the repercussions it would have on the world or its citizens. This would be the most painful and difficult solution, really only worth it for the hardcore players. But, idk, some people like working extra hard. And really, it would probably require the least effort from the devs.
Again, I'd love to get some feedback on this!
Maybe it could be bought from the dryad? I was thinking of that for a while, and why is it found in a corruption orb? I have the same question for the musket... A bunch of thing are unexplained in the game to be honest...

Rage necklace is useless as soon as you get a cobalt shield then
[doublepost=1523922302,1523922169][/doublepost]Maybe make it be something with damage
I mean, really who uses the Panic Necklace once they fill out their accessory slots anyway? It wasn't meant as a permanent addition to your loadout, just a step up in your early-game combat. Same as the weapons you get from the orbs.

I mean, really who uses the Panic Necklace once they fill out their accessory slots anyway? It wasn't meant as a permanent addition to your loadout, just a step up in your early-game combat. Same as the weapons you get from the orbs.
It's useful if you make the Sweetheart Necklace

Fair point though.

What if your world is generated without, for example, a pyramid? Do you skip all the unique items that can be found there just for the sake of bounding the character to a particular world?

What if your world is generated without, for example, a pyramid? Do you skip all the unique items that can be found there just for the sake of bounding the character to a particular world?
That sucks, yes, but it doesn't prevent you from playing your desired class to its standard capacity. Also for example, not having flippers in your ocean chests, or tree dungeons with a living loom to build tree furniture.

Also, I'm not trying to say you're wrong for utilizing multiple worlds. I'm just saying it sits wrong with me and a good many others is all. It's for continuity.
I know, it's cheesy.

Back
Top Bottom