Base building designs and ideas

Pangaearocks

Terrarian
I recently started a new save, on Expert this time. It's a struggle all right and I'm not really getting anywhere, so I figured it would be more fruitful to make a base of sorts instead. However, I lack in creativity, and don't have all that many resources either. A few hundred stones, and that's basically it. Naturally I've tried to look around the place by searching, but it's difficult to find something suiting (either 1000 hits, or three). Therefore I made this thread, hoping for inspiration by looking at what other people have built, or getting suggestions.

How do you typically build your base? What materials work well together? Any do's and don't's?

I would like something functional, with plenty room for storage and crafting (30-odd chests wasn't enough last time), and ideally something aesthetically pleasing. So in short, and upgrade from wooden shoeboxes and the like.

I cant help with the look nice part as I also lack in creativity and suck at building but for the storage and crafting situation Salendrak on yt has a tutorial on making a good storage and crafting system on his second episode of his Terraria Beginners Guide series and it worked very well for me in my master playthrough (the amount of chests can be a tiny bit resource intensive but its just wood and iron or find chests in the world). Watch the video on yt at the bottom and find the chapter Efficient Crafting Area and Storage Organization (right after efficient crafting) or go to 3:43.

Last edited:
Cheers, that was a good video, and I saw several others that person had too.

No takers on design ideas and suchlike, though? Surely there must be a lot of accumulated knowledge out there about how to best go about a building project, ideas that work well, what doesn't, and so on.

Came over this one here, which looks freakin' amazing.
1medjyivf8i01.png
One of the issues I have (apart from lack of creativity) is that I get bogged down thinking about what it should have, trying to place it out in my head, and then it gets a bit complex and don't know where to start, so I just put it off (or don't play because I can't decide). That's why it would be good to look at some build that already look great, but also are functional.

Came over this one here, which looks freakin' amazing.
1medjyivf8i01.png
One of the issues I have (apart from lack of creativity) is that I get bogged down thinking about what it should have, trying to place it out in my head, and then it gets a bit complex and don't know where to start, so I just put it off (or don't play because I can't decide). That's why it would be good to look at some build that already look great, but also are functional.
I love the mixed torches, nice job!

Making large and complex bases/towns, like that amazing castle there is quite difficult, particularly in vanilla, where there's no cheat sheets mod, to just get the stuff you need right away.

For start though, even the usual wooden shoebox can be much fancier with combining materials a bit, and a few little extras, like a roof. So, for example, make a few wooden shoeboxes at start, then add a roof to them, they'll look a bit more like a house. windows and such can help too. Also, make the interior 6 blocks tall, not 5 (many usually do 5 blocks tall first, because you can't easily reach farther without any extra stuff (like stepstool) or jumping up there, but 6 blocks height works much better with lanterns and chandeliers, IMO.

You also don't need extremely huge storages, it really depends on how much stuff you actually wanna store. Some extra space is good, and it can be useful to sometimes keep extras of rare stuff, but for common material, you often don't need to store a real lot of them, because you won't use that much of it anyway.

Here's the house of my summoner, Albus.
Capture 2020-10-29 07_51_05.png

It's nothing super fancy, and since that, I figured out a better design for the roof (but used that on new builds, didn't chaged this), and you can see I was a bit lazy later like forgot to paint the platform under the crystal ball and such - initially I didn't even planned it there, but then I needed it for some stuff, I think for water candles.

it's a cosy little house, but it has pretty much everything necessary. a bookscase might would be good somewhere too though XD lol
the bathroom also functions to be in sync with alchemy, or how to say, the sink allows you to fill bottles with water, so, you can do alchemy there without having to go elsewhere for water, so, it's a compact little alchemy corner. the chests above hold the ingredients, and the potions.

the storage system was initially relatively well organised, but then I ended up adding a few more chests here and there too, so, that's a bit messy, but generally the storages are still quite well-organised, and that can be quite helpful when looking for whatever item. although this playthrough is over, this storage is a bit useful for later too, if need anything for other characters I don't wanna farm for hours XD

Things like windows (glass doors) also help with being able to leave the house via that. some houses, I also add trapdoors to the roof, which also can help.

It's nothing amazing, but it's fancier than a standard wooden shoebox XD I'm sure you can build something similar too, or probably even fancier stuff.

That looks very nice and cosy :) Is it hay roof and walls on the top floor? I've never used that. It's what the sickle is for I suppose. Are the curtains painted, or is it a natural material? I like the safety up on the bathroom wall, in case the toilet clogs up :D

I see you got the black cat too, I love that guy.

Do you find that amount of storage to be sufficient? Believe I had around 40 chests in my last save, including 3 each for accessories and weapons, and it simply wasn't enough, despite selling off loads of stuff so I only had (max) 1 of each accessory or weapon. It worked well for a time, but at some point many chests overflowed so to speak, and I started to put random stuff here and there, ruining the nice system. That's why I'm a little concerned, and am looking at having even more chests to begin with.

Well, it's a start I suppose. A stone box instead a wooden box 🤔
Stonebox frame.jpg
Would be awesome to create a really big build, like the castle a few posts up for example, but it sure isn't easy. Especially so early, when I don't have many resources or materials.

I'll try to work on it and hope to come up with something that isn't butt-ugly :D

One of the tricky things there is, to figure out a design early, as you're not quite likely to rebuild the entire thing later. You can swap walls and blocks though. But the design likely stays.
It's hard to build impressive castles and the like early game, when you only have some basic materials...

The roof there is made of hay, yes. I like using it, because it can work nice with a sort of medieval-ish, or rural town feel? The curtains are made from pumpkin walls. They look like this naturally. Actually, the life-saver is there only because the angler gave me one, and I was like "where to place that...?" and since I had no better idea, I just put it there. XD

Also, yes, black cat. It's an adorable pet!
It's also because I had this playthrough while halloween was active. That also explains the amount of pumpkins, though I like using curtains normally too, and sometimes jack 'o lanterns too as garden deco. but normally, that's locked behind EoC, or any other (not king slime) boss, since you need the dryad to plant pumpkins. But they worth it, because can be used nice in builds. And what you don't use for curtains and other stuff, you can cook.

Also, paints are your friends. The bathroom there for example uses granite toilet and bathtub, and, I think, one of the dungeon sinks. And probably tin brick for tiles? And they're painted white.

By the way, halloween also allows access to rare vanity too - and if you have some in mind, you can just bring it from the other playthrough, since you can't easily get them on the current one yet, and vanity won't really affect the game, like, it's not like you gain anything from them, besides a cool (or cute) looks - ,
like Albus' barrett is a nurse cap dyed purple or something. It also allows other hair accessories to be visible, which was a brand new feature added just before I started his playthrough, so, this combo allows for both the barrett and a vanity obsidian rose to be visible.
You can play around much with vanity, and I quite like his looks. It was a very fun playthrough too, and so far the only one, where I managed to defeat expert moon lord, so I suppose Albus is quite strong. XD
Fun playthroughs can be inspiring to try to draw the characters too.
Albus - colored.png

As for storages, it's particularly normal for first playthrough, but indeed many players play a way that they just hoard everything they find. That's a way to play too, but as I said somewhere before, "if you're Smaug, don't be surprised you need something of the size of entire Erebor, to store your hoard"

I think, it might comes from modded, where, when you have cheat sheets mod at your disposal, you can get any and every materials and stuff quickly, that certain stuff has no real value anymore, and you don't necessarily hoard as much stuff, because you don't need them - particularly building materials, etc. as you can build up your base/town at the start, and later just add some extra stuff, but you have no reason to keep several stacks of stone, dirt, etc. - this doesn't necessarily invalidates everything though. Something you found along your way might feels more valuable, and you just add it to the build later, like whatever decoration. like seashells from the beach, or some more books from the dungeon, or angler rewards, or anything.

And, the "no much value" actually kind of goes for other loot too. And you don't need modded for that, your previous playthrough, you probably saw, that there are many stuff you never actually used. It can be okay to keep one of those too, but when you have multiple instances of stuff you never actually use, there's no real reason to store all those in your storages. By the way, different chests can help keeping stuff more organised too (plus, they can be named too). And it's also helpful if you have materials very close to their crafting stations, so you don't have to move around with them, but just open the chests, and craft the things from materials stored in the chest - you don't even have to take them out! (except when alts may be used and you wanna make sure you won't use up the rarer material, if you want it for other things (e.g. iron/lead) - though in general, it will always use the one first that is first in the row (the more up and left than the other).

Even then, you might find that you're running out of space, and that's why you sometimes just place additional chests - and dressers also function as chests! - but you can also add chests (or dressers) elsewhere too, like in other houses, and store some stuff there. There's no real reason to keep weapons you never use, in your main storage for example.

One of the tricky things there is, to figure out a design early, as you're not quite likely to rebuild the entire thing later. You can swap walls and blocks though. But the design likely stays.
It's hard to build impressive castles and the like early game, when you only have some basic materials...
Yes, this is exactly it. This is what I'm struggling with. Difficult to know what dimensions I need for different rooms, the scale, and what to put where. Add in that I don't have many materials to work with, and it's hard to make anything pretty. I have started on this thing, but already suspect the crafting room/bedroom is too small, and possibly the chest/storage room too. It's easier to fix now by expanding them, but the longer you play and the more stuff has been built, the harder it is to make corrections. Not like I can cut through it and move the blocks 10 tiles to the right for example. And once all the chests are filled up... moving that is a nightmare 😱

Well... it's a start, and I'm now trying to work on this instead of progressing the game. All the zombies knocking on the door drove me nuts, and now I miss the Rod of Discord.... :-/
For some reason I couldn't put crafting stations in front of the woodbeams, so that was a little disappointing, as I wanted them as background decoration. Looks like they will steal too much space now, so may have to drop them in the main room. Probably need to expand that room as well, before erecting the towers I had thought about on both ends. Would like a glass greenhouse somewhere too, so may not go for a massive castle. Not that I could pull that off anyway... Short of some rooms for NPCs, what do you put in there anyway? Just decoration for decoration's sake seems a little pointless.

Stonebox filled out more.jpg
I look forward to gaining more materials, such as the hallow bricks and marble. Something brighter would be nice, instead of the typical dark bricks mountains.

Will gladly accept recommendations or other designs for inspiration.

Are there some good guides or articles about using mechanisms or actuation blocks? Haven't dipped my feet into those waters yet, and have little idea how it works. Any of you tried that out?

PS: that painting above looks great. You're certainly a much better artist than me. I'm the equivalent of bashing two rocks together :D

Last edited:
Agree, and it's quite a tricky thing. For things like wooden beams, you could use background walls that look similar, such as living wood walls (made at living loom)

I feel that the design is far from ideal though. But what I consider ideal, might be different from what you consider ideal.
There are some good ideas there, but indeed, it sounds tricky to actually fill out that space.

I feel that the design is far from ideal though. But what I consider ideal, might be different from what you consider ideal.
There are some good ideas there, but indeed, it sounds tricky to actually fill out that space.
What in particular do you have in mind? It's easier to fix it now than later, if I want to go with what you deem better ofc. A room full of chests isn't exactly super-pretty, but that part is just for convenience (stack to chests function).

Well, I usually build house-like houses.
If you like castles more, that's cool, but there's probably a design where you could make use of the empty space too, like for NPC rooms or something - and without it looking any out of place.

And, generally, I usually like to have the storage in a not as much main room, but more like in an attic, or basement. Though it's not absolute, and survival convinience cases might call for the storage to be in a place like that, because it's easy to set up at the start. But I'm not as fond of the idea of living in a warehouse XD

I know though that survival convinience can affect buildings a lot too. Such as building elevated stuff to be safe from land mobs - or even a tower house in special cases like in the crimson, because there's no much other ways to get out of the corrupted area (which can't be used for housings)

For example, Flann's house is focused more on survival convinience, and less on standard looks for a house, but I still tried to make it look relatively cosy and all. Part to show, that you can actually prosper and live a convinient life even in such a place like the crimson.

this house do features a sort of storage room too, but it's not all that big, and there wasn't much of a need to have bigger storage there. dressers and such are also used for storage too, and there are houses elsewhere too and some stuff might be stored there. Point being, I see why you build a large storage room, but it's probably not actually necessary.

Flanns house.png

(side note: the guide lives above too, he's just dumb and ended up respawning down there, but the house on the surface is corrupted, and so, no one lives there.)

this is how it looks like along with the other tower, and the hanjing gardens. Both of them are functioning as towns, decreasing the spawnrates in a large area, so, the area between the two towers (but not Isengard & Mordor) are mostly safe.

two towers.png

or another part convinience reason build. this is from "start in hardmode" challange, and this house provides safety from wraits. note: this is not a main base, just one of the town NPC houses.
43.png

on a smaller scale of notes, it would be useful to place furnitures in front of the doors on the inside, so zombies can't get in even if it's a blood moon, and also maybe place other ways where you can leave, like windows, or roof trapdoors or such. currently, this fortress is quite vulnerable that you could get trapped there without much ways to escape.

Well, I usually build house-like houses.
If you like castles more, that's cool, but there's probably a design where you could make use of the empty space too, like for NPC rooms or something - and without it looking any out of place.

And, generally, I usually like to have the storage in a not as much main room, but more like in an attic, or basement. Though it's not absolute, and survival convinience cases might call for the storage to be in a place like that, because it's easy to set up at the start. But I'm not as fond of the idea of living in a warehouse XD
I do kinda like castles, or castle-like buildings, in games like this, but it's a big undertaking. I basically tore down the whole thing and started over with a house draft. Do you think something like this could work out?
House draft.jpg

No clear ideas about NPCs, but I think there are 3-4 that prefer the forest. No kitchen here, but maybe they all order in :D
The idea was to have tiny roofs over the windows up top, like an attic, but maybe it turned out too narrow up there so it will look weird. Started out intending to have it wider/more rooms to the right, but then it morphed into this. So maybe those NPC rooms on that side ended up a little small. If I put the living room nex to the bedroom on the first (ish) floor, there could for example be a fireplace with a sofa or something on the second floor. Then put the crafting room next to the storage room in the cellar. In the castle build, I intended to have minecart tracks down there, but maybe that's just a waste of time and I won't end up using it anyway. There are pylons after all, and eventually wings for pretty quick transportation.

Don't intend to keep that ground floor empty btw, but didn't want to place NPCs there either, because they kept getting wiped out in the previous save like that. Was thinking some statues/bookcases/furniture/whatever there.

Been searching a lot, and came over some good videos that others may find useful too. The first is without voice commentary, but the second video has it. He certainly knows what he's doing! Very impressive interior design, and techniques to make it happen. So many possibilities for people with actual creativity and artistic skill. I still have my rocks :D

Honestly, that looks vers promising. Looking forward how it will look like, when it's done.
I would like to just add that, that in you intend to hammer the roof into a smooth slope, it might would be better to make it just a bit thicker, so you won't have problem with the corner of background walls at that area.

Oh, and, I've got an idea! If the ground floor seems without use, how about you turn that into the storage room? And you could place a hammered staircase leading up the first floor, so the ground floor feels like a basement. (the only possible danger with it is, if NPCs accidentally fall down there and then end up messing around with the door the middle of the night and let in the zombies.

Thanks :) On the roof idea: Yeah, that is a good point. This is just an outline, and I'll probably use different materials. Simply had gray bricks in the inventory at the time, due to tearing down the previous building. I really liked what was done to the roof in the videos linked above, so wanted to see if I could pull off something similar. It looked difficult and very detailed, and obviously harder to get the look just right when I can't just cheat in limitless amounts of any material, but I want to see how it can look. And I kinda like small outcroppings on windows, so maybe that will work out here too. I'll see once I can get started on this for proper.

There are soooooo many impressive builds and builders out there, and it gets me motivated. Then I fire up the game and look at the rubble in my game, and have no idea where to start xD

A porch or veranda might be nice too, to give the building more form, but that could also lead to NPCs jumping out or letting in zombies. They make strange life choices.

From threads, people keep saying ebonwood is a great material, for example as an alternative to wooden beams, that don't prevent furniture in front of them. But I can't get that here, as it's a corruption-only material. The look of the wooden beam is great for adding support and breaking up horizontally, but sadly it's on the "furniture" level, unlike just about anything else (except furniture, obv). Really wish they changed that, so it could be a normal 'background' material like walls.

Well then. I'll start up the game and have another go... hopefully without another "OH GOD, how can I get started on this mammoth task???!" notions :D

agree, agree. curious how it will look like

as for the wooden beam thing though, living wood can work well too, if you have a living loom, and if not, how about trying shadewood, either wall, or fence? both of them can look quite like a beam or such too. you can paint them brown, if you want them to look like normal wood.

Oh boy. This has taken a silly amount of time already, but at least it's something. A start. Not happy with those roof windows, and it was REALLY hard to work in the area due to tiny reach and narrow space. Also difficult with walls that don't go where I want, and some transitions not looking very nice, like in some of the diagonal intersections.
House draft 2.jpg

That looks pretty good, but as for the diagonal stuff, that's why I said you might want thicker lines of solid blocks there. because walls tend to be problematic when placed behind such a thin row of solid blocks hammered on both sides.

It might be difficult to get them done right at first, but they say, practice makes perfect, right? It certainly looks pretty good anyway, and, for real, it's going to be an awesome house, once it's done. I'm pretty sure about that.

Some progress after hours of fiddling about. I'm starting to see why people use mods for this, even if it feels a little like cheating, because I spend a lot of time just figuring out why I can or can't make this or that item I had in mind.

Perhaps not a good idea to have different wallpapers for each room, but for now this is it. Naturally very far from finished, and I'm really struggling with interior design, and furniture + lighting (partly because stuff I want to make doesn't show up as a recipe, and then I waste a ton of time).
One small example: wanted the in-house chimney to be the full width, but then gaps would appear. So I had to opt for this, although it looks a bit strange with a thin pole like that :-/

Another small thing: Wanted to place a pot or something on top of the barstools, intending to use them as small tables. But apparently that doesn't work, as I couldn't place anything on top of them (except presumably my butt).

House draft 3.jpg

Loads of trial and error is required for stuff like this, but hopefully it will gradually improve as I get more 'stuff' in the rooms. Although stairs steal a lot of space, should perhaps have one from the main floor and up to the bedroom or living room. Everything in the bathroom kinda blended into each other, so maybe I need to change the bottom of the wallpaper or something (it's tungsten painted white currently). The painting is supposed to be a mirror.

Edit: Made some more changes, and moved in a few people. Looked more cosy now :)
Wondered where then nurse went, but she's in bed with the merchant. I'm glad they get along well, tho.
It was a little frustrating that I couldn't hang lanterns from platforms or hammered down blocks, because it got a little awkward in some rooms, especially the top left corner since the roof is so high (and the lantern can't be centered).

House draft 4.jpg

Could use some more windows or other decorations to fill out some rooms, particularly the two top right-side rooms, but apart from that it looks okay I think? Still need to dig out a cellar so I can get some proper storage, and then a crafting room besides it. Not sure what to put on the main floor yet, where the stone doors are, but I was thinking some statues or mannequins with armour, pretending they are guards.

Wanted to create a ladder up from that floor as well, and read somewhere this should be possible with work tables. I made a pack, but sadly they can't be stacked on top of each other, so that didn't pan out :(
For the moment I'm relaxing in the sofa with some wine from a chalice :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom