Base building tips

Tyro

Steampunker
A build thread showcasing different cool things you can incorporate into your home base, assuming you're like me and perfect one world (or several if you decide your design is a failure and try again) while mining the crap out of disposable others. I'll keep links to specific posts here via edits for easy access as the thread grows, both my own and other people's submissions.

A few basics:
* Fences prevent monster spawns in front of them. You'll get more flying enemies, but in expert and master modes (where towns don't automatically prevent monsters from spawning) it's a good idea to fence off the open spaces in your towns and the immediate area.
* Worm traps (1 block wide holes) are your friend. Enchanted nightcrawlers are by far the best easily obtainable bait.
* If you aren't playing in expert or master mode, put water candles in your towns to increase critter spawn rates & dig pits to trap them. Easy money early on.
* Sunflowers prevent graveyards. Especially useful at world spawn (invasions) and for arenas.

Last edited:
First things first: The spawn bunker. Most invasions converge at the default world spawn; for this reason, you DO NOT want your primary NPC town here! I keep the Druid, Nurse, and ammo merchant here for convenience; everyone else lives elsewhere. The default spawn is by those 4 chests, which contain common consumables (top left - potions, food, sake, etc.), bait & ammo (top right), specialty equipment (bottom left - building gear, status protection, fishing gear, etc.), and quick dump (bottom right - for when you need to empty your inventory now and sort it out later).

The lower lockers are individual lockers for members of a server, plus extra overflow and a chest for less commonly used potions and one for miscellaneous, lesser-used stuff like buckets of lava.

(Ignore the painting in the subway; I'm in mid remodel and needed a place to stick them while I move chests around.)

The switch activates a lockdown system which takes the caps off the lava moats and warns the entire server to steer clear via announcement box. Details on that system can be found here.
Capture 2020-05-01 21_23_38.png
Capture 2020-05-01 21_23_43.png
Capture 2020-05-01 21_33_18.png
And with wires ->
Capture 2020-05-01 21_33_14.png

Again, the dual announcement box system has its own thread here.

Last edited:
Okay, you have your spawn bunker. Now you need a way to get from there to other parts of your world without going overland. The upcoming pylon system will help, but that only works for areas with NPC's. Teleporters are nice, but you have to set up hubs and bases. I like having at least one rail line spanning the entire world in order to provide easy access to wherever you might want to get off - all you have to do is dig a shaft to the surface. It also makes it very easy to set up quarantine zones so you can easily set and keep the biome for a given section. It's a great deal of work, but I built this to be a multiplayer server - to my mind it was worth the hassle.

To keep creatures from wandering in, I use these (they're gray painted slime blocks to look like concrete barriers that slide into the wall). Pressure plate tracks (or player above sensors) open the wall as you approach and close it as you pass to minimize hassle. The switches are only necessary if you don't have player above sensors yet (this model uses pressure plate tracks) for getting through on foot or if it gets desynched and you're having trouble lining up your minecart just right.
Capture 2020-05-01 21_42_15.png

Capture 2020-05-01 21_38_53.png

Capture 2020-05-01 21_42_47.png

Sometimes you miss your stop or forget to hold the right direction at a fork, and you don't want to lose your momentum. For this I use bounce tracks, like so:
Capture 2020-05-01 21_44_41.png

If you overshoot, just hold down and you'll reverse direction at full velocity. Keep it held down here and you'll end up going down the fork even if you missed it the first time. Just remember to let go once you're in - there's another bounce station at the bottom for people who wanted the inn or the corruption zone, not the underground desert or points west:
Capture 2020-05-01 21_55_56.png

Any serious player knows that potions are essential at times, especially in expert worlds. I don't like auto farms - they're ugly and they're overkill. Five minutes or less with a Staff of Regrowth at the appropriate time and I can get several stacks of whatever I'm short on here in my greenhouse, replant the boxes, and replace the staff. And it looks amazing. Off to the right is Spelunker's Supplies General Goods and Explosives (the demolitionist and the merchant are a couple), and down below you can see my liquid duping tanks. The outflow for the latter will be in the lab, which is currently under construction. I plan to post that once it's finished.
Capture 2020-05-01 22_05_08.png

Last edited:
Storage. In my opinion, the single most important thing to get right. This one has item frames and statues to help you find the right chest without checking all the labels, and easy access to the upper minecart track. The shaft in the middle is my primary hellevator. I'll be changing it later to work with my new teleporter network, but this setup can be built in the very early game.
Capture 2020-05-03 13_14_54.png

Last edited:
Fishing. Protected fishing holes are an essential feature of a home world, and I like to make mine both pretty and functional. Here's one that I've finished to my satisfaction, and one that's functional but still lacking in aesthetics. Note that the latter hole is Crimson fishing if you're on the right side, without most Crimson enemies being able to reach you due to the lack of appropriate blocks for them to spawn on.
Capture 2020-05-01 22_20_34.png

Capture 2020-05-02 00_34_25.png

If you're curious, here's how it all comes together (subject to change as I remodel; parts of it are a mess right now, and one bit is a project underway by my apprentice):
Capture 2020-05-02 00_45_30.png

Here's a feature I'm particularly proud of, as I've never seen anyone else do this: If you have a large amount of meteorite above depth 0, meteorites *will never fall* (because the game thinks you have enough craters already or something). This doubles as a meteor head farming station for unlimited ore.

From the wiki:
"Once the conditions are met, multiple meteorites will land in a world over time. However, none will fall if there are already a certain number of Meteorite blocks above 0 ft. The limits are:

Small worlds: 401
Medium worlds: 610/611
Large worlds: 801

The above limits mean that leaving one (small worlds) or two meteorite strikes unmined will effectively protect the world from further strikes. Also note that if a random meteor crash was decided to happen at 7:30, the only way to prevent it is to place as many meteorites as needed to prevent the crash according to your world size (numbers given above). If enough amount of blocks are placed before 12:00 AM, the meteorite will not crash. Remember to place the blocks above 0 ft."

Capture 2020-05-02 00_49_56.png

If I find myself needing a lot of meteorite ore I'll put an arena in there for meteor head farming. It's a pain in that narrow hallway.

If you're motivated to keep improving, you will. I've spent countless hours looking through screenshots (mostly google image searches and forum build threads) and sketching out base designs.

Wow sound cool might start doing actual decent builds thanks for inspiring me to do this for that you get an extra day of cheese god power

Back
Top Bottom