Basilisk and dyes

TheRedEyedRaven

Terrarian
So, I started a new playthrough the other day (Expert mode, Ranger) and I am using Necro armor as my vanity set for now.

Soon after entering hardmode, I very luckily managed to obtain an ancient horn from a basilisk. It is probably my favourite mount, and I'd love my vanity to match it.

The necro helmet and the fossil helmet are probably the closest I've come to finding vanity that looks basilisk-y. But as for dye, I can't find any dyes that allow one to take on a colour like the basilisk.

If anyone has any ideas for vanity that lets you look like your basilisk, including dyes, please share.

(Also, this is my first time on these forums, please let me know if I have done something wrong or frowned upon. Thank you)

Last edited:
Well, after some trying things out, About the only thing I could find was Red Dye for torso and legs, Silver dye for the helm. The Fossil helm looks way more basilisky to me personally, so I used that. Here's what that combo looks like. Was hoping to find some kind of dye that made the eye red, but couldn't find one... :sigh:

Capture 2018-11-09 11_51_26.png

Well, after some trying things out, About the only thing I could find was Red Dye for torso and legs, Silver dye for the helm. The Fossil helm looks way more basilisky to me personally, so I used that. Here's what that combo looks like. Was hoping to find some kind of dye that made the eye red, but couldn't find one... :sigh:

That looks pretty close. Closer than I've been able to come. Isn't there a dev vanity item that makes the eyes glow? I'm going to check this out. Will keep you updated

So, I found the dev vanity item I was talking about. It's the "Yoraiz0r's spell" item. So I quickly used an inventory editor to obtain one (I know, I know... Naughty naughty... But it's only for vanity, so I feel it's ok. Plus, I wasn't about to spend the time farming expert mode bosses for their treasure bags, which are the only legitimate source for developer sets, if I'm not mistaken). So I tried the set you suggested, just with the dev item, and this is the result:
Capture 2018-11-09 22_26_06.png

I'm using red dye on the fossil legs and fossil torso, yet it looks... different from yours. What are you using in those slots, @Cyastic ?
Another thing that bothers me is that previously I was using Betsy's wings as vanity in the wing slot, as they look the most reptilian to me, and I like showing my wings. However when using this Yoraiz0r's spell item for the red eye, it totally removes the wings, even when flying. It replaces it with a rocket boot-esque animation of particles from the feet.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention I used the tiger climbing gear as vanity too, as I find it simply adds an extra dimension to a character, as they can be dyed too, and look like little basilisk claws. Here they aren't dyed, though, so just black.

Last edited:
Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that the red dye was on the Necro armor torso and legs lol, my bad. But I really like that red dye on fossil armor too, I kinda like it better personally. And that red eye and tiger climbing gear looks so cool! That was a really good idea using the climbing gear as claws. It's a shame about the wings though... I guess you'd have to choose which you like better between the eye and wings, sadly... :sigh:

Oh and don't worry about inventory editors or the like, most people use them for vanity stuff anyways. I personally either use Builder's Workshop world download or HERO's Mod to build vanity sets, so no judgement from me :dryadwink::dryadgrin:

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that the red dye was on the Necro armor torso and legs lol, my bad. But I really like that red dye on fossil armor too, I kinda like it better personally. And that red eye and tiger climbing gear looks so cool! That was a really good idea using the climbing gear as claws. It's a shame about the wings though... I guess you'd have to choose which you like better between the eye and wings, sadly... :sigh:

Oh and don't worry about inventory editors or the like, most people use them for vanity stuff anyways. I personally either use Builder's Workshop world download or HERO's Mod to build vanity sets, so no judgement from me :dryadwink::dryadgrin:

Thanks, I've come to put alot of effort into my vanity sets. It feels like creating a whole backstory and personality for my characters. Also, I'm glad you like it, it was actually a mistake. I was gonna try to follow your setup, but I guess it was a "happy mistake".

That's interesting, I've never heard of either of those tools. I've been using terrasavr. But it's kind of a drag downloading a new file from the website every time I want to try a new vanity set. Are either of those tools perhaps downloadable for use from the desktop?
[doublepost=1541797388,1541797076][/doublepost]@Cyastic Another interesting sidenote, have you looked at the ancient necro helmet? It has a large protruding horn, similar to that of the basilisk. It doesn't look nearly as close to the basilisk as the fossil helm, but it does bear some resemblance. My little cousin said he doesn't like it as much, though I guess it's not as good :D

Sure thing! I highly recommend using Builder's Workshop world though as HERO's mod requires TModLoader, which makes your game incompatible with unmodded Terraria multiplayer... Here's the links for both:

Builder's Workshop: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/builders-workshop-all-items.18878/
HERO's Mod: https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...t-and-over-25-tools-1-3-4-4-compatible.44650/

I definitely recommend Builder's Workshop so you don't have to sacrifice multiplayer. But HERO's is extremely useful though, and TModLoader keeps your modded and un-modded saves and worlds separate. So what I do to switch between vanilla and modded terraria, if you wanted to do the same, is I keep two instalation folders. I install vanilla Terraria, then rename it to TerrariaUM (UM for UnModded), then I install Terraria again and install TModLoader to it and then when I want to switch between the two, I rename the modded Terraria folder to TerrariaM, and then rename TerrariaUM to Terraria and then launch through Steam. Vice versa to go back to modded. Sounds weird, but it's a lot easier and faster than it sounds.

EDIT: Lol little cousin knows best! I have to agree with him too tbh lol

EDIT 2: Oh, also make sure to copy and paste that wld file for the Builder's Workshop if you DL it. That way if the items in the chest start running low for whatever reason, you can just copy and paste it again to refill everything. Useful if you like building big things a lot, or make TONS of characters like I do... (it's kind of an addiction :sigh:)

Last edited:
Sure thing! I highly recommend using Builder's Workshop world though as HERO's mod requires TModLoader, which makes your game incompatible with unmodded Terraria multiplayer... Here's the links for both:

Builder's Workshop: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/builders-workshop-all-items.18878/
HERO's Mod: https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...t-and-over-25-tools-1-3-4-4-compatible.44650/

I definitely recommend Builder's Workshop so you don't have to sacrifice multiplayer. But HERO's is extremely useful though, and TModLoader keeps your modded and un-modded saves and worlds separate. So what I do to switch between vanilla and modded terraria, if you wanted to do the same, is I keep two instalation folders. I install vanilla Terraria, then rename it to TerrariaUM (UM for UnModded), then I install Terraria again and install TModLoader to it and then when I want to switch between the two, I rename the modded Terraria folder to TerrariaM, and then rename TerrariaUM to Terraria and then launch through Steam. Vice versa to go back to modded. Sounds weird, but it's a lot easier and faster than it sounds.

EDIT: Lol little cousin knows best! I have to agree with him too tbh lol

Well thanks for the crash course. I appreciate it. I think for now I'm going to keep to vanilla. There is still so much to find and so much to do. I found my first arkhalis the other day, and I came to realize that I've never had a The Axe hamaxe. There are still so many items I've never used or had. So I want to stick with vanilla. But I'll be looking at builder's workshop, definitely.
[doublepost=1541798583,1541798429][/doublepost]By the way, I feel foolish for not having asked this before, but what lart of the world are you from? What time is it there?

That's definitely the way to go imo :D

Oh, also BW hits the CPU pretty hard when you first load in, it's not uncommon to have low FPS in there lol but it clears up for the most part after several seconds.

EDIT: I'm from the Eastern USA, and it's 4:30 - ish here right now :) (GMT -5:00)

Oh, also BW hits the CPU pretty hard when you first load in, it's not uncommon to have low FPS in there lol but it clears up for the most part after several seconds.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be sure to give it a few minutes, as my computer is decent, but definitely not god-tier, gtx 1080, super-fast, quantum field generating, ultimate uber-brain computer.

Oh yeah, that's the fun part, it loads in as you move so... lol Have fun with jittering... But my rig is a dinosaur and it can do it, so I'm sure your's will be fine :)

EDIT: I'm from the Eastern USA, and it's 4:30 - ish here right now :) (GMT -5:00)
Wonderful. I'm from South Africa, and I don't know my own time zone, I'm afraid. Terribly sorry. It's about 23:30 here, at the moment.
[doublepost=1541799245,1541799142][/doublepost]
Oh yeah, that's the fun part, it loads in as you move so... lol Have fun with jittering... But my rig is a dinosaur and it can do it, so I'm sure your's will be fine :)
A dinosaur, you say? But is it as old as... a basilisk?

I'm sorry, that was rather weak, as jokes go.

23:30, I'm 4:30 pm which is 16:30, and I'm also very bad at math so... *Gears grinding*... *smoke pouring from ears*... 7 hours ahead of me? So I think that's GMT+2? I think lol not sure. Anyways, enough math lol. That's pretty cool! Oh and uh, that basilisk joke is actually pretty good lol Though I won't grace my over-sized paper weight of a compu-tato with such a cool name ;)

23:30, I'm 4:30 pm which is 16:30, and I'm also very bad at math so... *Gears grinding*... *smoke pouring from ears*... 7 hours ahead of me? So I think that's GMT+2? I think lol not sure. Anyways, enough math lol. That's pretty cool! Oh and uh, that basilisk joke is actually pretty good lol Though I won't grace my over-sized paper weight of a compu-tato with such a cool name ;)

I'm pretty sure we use the same time zone as London, in the UK. But I'm not sure.

I'll talk to you again tomorrow sometime, ok? I should rest, I have to study some more and I'm trying to recover from the Swine 'flu. Nasty disease, I've been coughing for three weeks straight, non-stop. I've been on two different courses of anti-biotics, too. Quite awful. But I intend to find more variations on our little basilisk vanity. And I'm definitely going to be using the Builder's workshop, and see what it's like. Goodnight, in the meantime. I hope you have a pleasant afternoon.

Goodness, that sounds awful, I hope you feel better real soon! And GL with the studies, have a great night and thanks for the well wishes! :)

Alright, so I'm back, and I used the Builder's Workshop like you suggested. Goodness me, that's an amazing collection of useful objects. It works like a charm. Anyway, I've found another combination of vanity that I quite like for passing as a basilisk:
Capture 2018-11-10 20_48_33.png

This is the necro helmet with plain red dye (I know you're not so fond of it, but I'm quite happy with the way it looks, and it also dyes more closely to the correct colour and matches the rest of the outfit more than the fossil helmet does with any variation of red / red silver / red black dye)
The torso and legs vanity are both from the "Space creature" set, dyed plain red. I used this set because it gives the character a little tail, which wiggles when you run or fall.

Capture 2018-11-10 20_48_48.png

Capture 2018-11-10 20_49_01.png

The only downside I can see to this is that the tail obscures the wings quite a bit, so I chose to use the "Yoraiz0rs spell" item to intentionally hide the wings, even when flying. this has the ADDED benefit of being able to make the eye glow red, too. (In these pictures, the spell item is used in such a way that the eyes don't glow at all, my character has red eyes by default.)
The legs of the space creature set already have little claws, so I removed the tiger climbing set and instead opted for just the climbing claws on the hands.

I am quite pleased with the result, what are your thoughts?

I like that set a lot better, and it's won me over on the necro helmet, that looks so good! And the tail is perfect! I think you nailed it :dryadgrin:

Well thank you, I appreciate your saying that. I want to thank you for showing me that Builder's Workshop map, I think that map is going to be helping me a lot in future builds and vanity endeavours such as this one. It certainly makes life so much easier to have all the furniture, blocks, walls and armour and vanity sets, right there ready for testing, dyes included. Like you said the framerates got a bit chuggy at first, but after awhile my computer adapted.

Glad to hear it, I spend so much time there in my game. I pretty much just consider it going shopping in Terraria at this point lol

Glad to hear it, I spend so much time there in my game. I pretty much just consider it going shopping in Terraria at this point lol

I am quite the hoarder when it comes to games like terraria ("Should I throw away this dirt? No! Just now I need it for some super special building project... But I already have 3 full stacks of dirt... But the more the merrier!") So I usually end up with vast corridors of chests filled with various materials and items. So I used to consider that shopping. Moving through those corridors looking for salvage.

But this map just takes the cake. For one thing, it's guaranteed to have what you want. And secondly, it's so ORGANIZED! I love it. I'm such a lazy bum myself that all of my chests are complete disaster areas when it comes to organization. But seeing the perfect rows of coordination... It's enough to make me cry :dryadcry:

Back
Top Bottom