Been broken for a while now. Anyone have any ideas?

My Terraria has been not working for a while now and I still don't know how to fix it. When I open it, it runs perfectly for 30-40 seconds before closing. During these 30 seconds, sound and visuals are fine, and so are the game mechanics. Usually there is no crash or error message that comes up when the game closes, but this time I got one (below).
I was able to successfully run and play for a couple of hours a few of days ago ( which I suspect had something to do with the fact that I had recently downloaded GTA V) but that has been the only time in a long time. I've tried lots of things like deleting the config.jason file, disabling my antivirus, deleting and reinstalling Terraria, and more. I had been successfully running and playing the game for around 100 hours before all of this started happening. Also, when trying to validate the game files on steam, it says it will reacquire a file, downloads something, but still never works. The message and download happen every time I validate the files. Can anyone help?

My computer runs windows 10, and surpasses all of the necessary requirements to run the game.

One of the crash logs that I rarely receive:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Terraria.Utils.Frame(Texture2D tex, Int32 horizontalFrames, Int32 verticalFrames, Int32 frameX, Int32 frameY, Int32 sizeOffsetX, Int32 sizeOffsetY)
at Terraria.GameContent.TilePaintSystemV2.ARenderTargetHolder.PrepareTextureIfNecessary(Texture2D originalTexture, Nullable`1 sourceRect)
at Terraria.GameContent.TilePaintSystemV2.TileRenderTargetHolder.Prepare()
at Terraria.GameContent.TilePaintSystemV2.PrepareAllRequests()
at Terraria.Main.DoDraw(GameTime gameTime)
at Terraria.Main.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)

I had the same issue a while back. I called computer support and they had me restart my computer (basically putting it to factory default). It’s very inconvenient since you have to backup everything on your pc, but it did solve my problem

Hey, I did some research on this error, and encountered this thread: Resolved - Terraria error "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Long story short, the error was solved by deleting the Config.json file at this location:
Vanilla File Locations:
Windows Files: %UserProfile%\Documents\My Games\Terraria (This is typically found in C:\Documents)
Linux Files: ~/.local/share/Terraria/or $XDG_DATA_HOME/Terraria/
Mac Files: ~/Library/Application support/Terraria
This file is the file that houses the information about your settings in game, such as lighting, resolution and visual effects just to name a few. Factory resetting does delete this file in a rather overkill method, so it would make since for that to fix the issue.

Hey, I did some research on this error, and encountered this thread: Resolved - Terraria error "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Long story short, the error was solved by deleting the Config.json file at this location:
Vanilla File Locations:
Windows Files: %UserProfile%\Documents\My Games\Terraria (This is typically found in C:\Documents)
Linux Files: ~/.local/share/Terraria/or $XDG_DATA_HOME/Terraria/
Mac Files: ~/Library/Application support/Terraria
This file is the file that houses the information about your settings in game, such as lighting, resolution and visual effects just to name a few. Factory resetting does delete this file in a rather overkill method, so it would make since for that to fix the issue.

Unfortunately deleting the Config.json file didn't work, and validating the game files on steam doesn't seem to replace the file. Thanks for the try though.

Back
Top Bottom