Game Mechanics Better Battles: some essential tweaks for the combat-hungry.

SuperLucas335

Terrarian
Ok, let's face it. There are only three things that count when fighting (PvP/PvM). They are;
~Raw damage output (damage of a weapon as described in the tooltip)
~Defence (the amount of defence an enemy has)
~Critical hit chance (as described in the weapon's tooltip)

I plan on a way better combat system that requires more skill (only if you want, and is not just a click-and-dodge), more gear, more ways to damage enemys, bosses/mini-bosses have 'weak points' (areas with reduced defence; and vice-versa).
Let's begin:
I think that the shields are a little bit underpowered, rare and; there are only four shields.
Now, who said shields have to remove 100% of knockback? (well, I guess the developers kinda said it by implementing it :merchantgrin:)
So, I think that the cobalt shield should reduce knockback by around 50%. Though, to make up for it, when equipped, you could press a key (I'm thinking V, because its right above the spacebar and is easy to access). Pressing it will reduce knockback further, increase defence and gives a 25% chance to score a "block" (where defence gets multiplied by 1.5 for one hit taken)
Though, blocking reduces movement speed and you can't turn.
New shields will be created, link will go here:_____________ when done.
The big fat orange critical hit number that we all know and love is about to get some freinds! I will list all of the different colours of numbers, along with what they mean, below: (Images coming soon!)
Standard- Your typical everyday damage indicator. Nothing special here
Critical- A rare critical hit. Does double the damage.
Lucky- A Sort-of-rare hit. Defence is ignored. (Does not apply to Dungeon Guardian)
Combo- A very rare hit. Combines Lucky with Critical and Shock.
Blocked- Rarity depends on enemy. Defence gets increased for the target.
LOL hit- Rarer than Critical. Combines critical with Blocked.
Shock hit- Sort-of-rare. Knockback is ignored and increased.
To top everything off, there will be a tiny bit more controls for the game. Those are listed below with an accurate description:
V= Block. (Hold) It makes the character block, either by using current weapon to block, their hands (with a new animation), or, if equipped, a shield. Shield has priority, then tool/weapon that you are currently holding, then hands

F= +Attack power (optional) slightly increases all stats apart from the player's chance to block incoming attacks and defence. That gets reduced instead. Def. gets reduced by 10%, block chance goes down to nil.
Any more suggestions/tweaks are welcome.

1. A better way to block is to not get hit at all. This is also known as dodging, and is already very important in this game.
2. Knockback resistance doesn't really matter when you can suffer no fall damage.
3. The different critical hits are all, in some way, linked to RNG. Not much skill involved with chance.
4. Because this game favours DPS, most people would gladly trade a bit of defence for strength. Especially so because survivability comes from dodging and also the insane health regeneration/life leech you can achieve, not just defence.
5. I'm willing to bet if Redigit knew he could implement weak spots (a la Borderlands) with enough effort, he would have done so by now.

Back
Top Bottom