tModLoader Better Music & Music Replacer: Add custom music to anything [1.3]

fiso64

Terrarian
Music Replacer allows you to customize Terraria's soundtrack, no wavebanks required.
Comes with a bunch of default tracks, though you can easily remove them if you don't like them. Probably compatible with every mod.

Features:
  • - Customize music for each individual enemy
  • - Replace biome music & title music
  • - Replace any modded event, biome or boss music
  • - Add conditions for your music:
    • - Only play when boss is in phase 2
    • - Only when player is underground
    • - Only during the night
    • - Play with a probability
    • - etc..

When you first download this mod, a window with the folder Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Your Music\ will open. This is where you drop your .ogg or .wav files you want to add to the game (mp3s should work too, but some people encountered issues). Then, head over to the mod configs. This is what you'll see:
1649282761987.png

The entries you see here are the default tracks included with the mod. You can remove or modify them as you please. If you've added some tracks to the Your Music folder, you should click on the [ADD YOUR MUSIC] button & save config to add them to the game (tmodloader will reload). Now, to replace music for any vanilla or mod NPC, click on the plus button in the NPC list, and select the NPC as key. The lower button will take you to another page, where you click "Add" again and input the name of the file you've added (and specify the conditions for this music, if you want). Save config and you're done.
1649283145742.png
1649283687538.png

As you can see, you can add multiple files to the same enemy or biome. This allows you to construct more complicated setups, such as phase 2 themes or night biome themes:
1649283411389.png
1649283443779.png

If two tracks have overlapping conditions, the one with the lower HP value will play, provided the enemy is at or below this threshold.

Replacing vanilla biome or event music works pretty much the same way, except that you use the "Vanilla Environment Music" list instead and use the slider to select the music you want to replace.
If you're adding multiple tracks with overlapping conditions and different probabilites, note that order matters. The probability that the second track will play is (1 - Pr(first)) * Pr(second), so to replace a vanilla track with two others that are equally likely to play, you need to assign a 50% probability to the first one in the list, and 100% to the second.

Replacing mod biome or event music works a bit differently. To do so, get the music you want replaced to play in-game. Then, head to the configs in "Mod Configuration" in the pause menu, and click the Add button in the last list (dark blue). You can then replace this track as usual.

Included music is a collection of 1.4, Console Terraria, Otherworld, Calamity Extra Music, and Overhaul tracks:
Alt Rain: Terraria 1.4
Jungle Night: Terraria 1.4
Underground Desert: Terraria 1.4
Underground Jungle: Terraria 1.4
Ocean Night: Terraria Console OST
Space Night: Terraria Console OST
Title: Terraria Console OST
Blizzard: Cold Front by Turqoise
Underground Hallow: Chaos Elemental by DM Dokuro

King Slime: Gelatine Throne by Turquoise
Eye of Cthulhu: Boss 1 (Redux) by Kirbyrocket
Queen Bee: Stinging Onslaught by Turquoise
Wall of Flesh: Otherworld Wall of Flesh
The Destroyer: Otherworld Boss 2
The Twins: Boss 2 Remix by Kirbyrocket
Skeletron Prime: Boss 1 Orchestra by Blake Robinson
Plantera Phase 1 & 2: Plantera Metal Cover by FalKKonE
Duke Fishron: Eye of Cthulhu by DM Dokuro
Lunatic Cultist: Breaking the Seal by Turqoise

Last edited:
Niice, this is a good one for thoses who want to put their own music or want alternative music! i would recommend this mod

Your DMs are off so I guess I'll take my chances here, so, I'm tryna use this mod but whenever I check [ADD YOUR MUSIC] and click save config, whenever It's done reloading the mods, it says this and doesn't save that I checked it, idk what to do. It also crashed my terraria once, I really wanna use it though
1650823975565.png

Last edited:
Your DMs are off so I guess I'll take my chances here, so, I'm tryna use this mod but whenever I check [ADD YOUR MUSIC] and click save config, whenever It's done reloading the mods, it says this and doesn't save that I checked it, idk what to do. It also crashed my terraria once, I really wanna use it thoughView attachment 365836
from what i can tell and found via google, that's a message for the mod dev themselves. (hence the bottom message in the text) i've had other mods like calamity show this, dunno and don't think there's even a player-end fix for it or anything. it shows up after the mod is installed/enabled because the mod turns on dev mode for TML, which i think you get a notification for? but, otherwise, it works just fine for me.
don't really know about the crashing, because the most it's done for me is hang terraria during the mod reloading, then the window closes and a new one opens, but it's still loading just fine. (that's also probably because i'm running it with a couple bigger mods, and my pc isn't exactly a nasa supercomputer) it only crashed my game once when i kept repeatedly enabling the 'save songs' button in the config and then reloading, since i didn't fully read the readme file that should've popped up, and i think just overloaded the game from the amount of times it reloaded in a row haha

from what i can tell and found via google, that's a message for the mod dev themselves. (hence the bottom message in the text) i've had other mods like calamity show this, dunno and don't think there's even a player-end fix for it or anything. it shows up after the mod is installed/enabled because the mod turns on dev mode for TML, which i think you get a notification for? but, otherwise, it works just fine for me.
don't really know about the crashing, because the most it's done for me is hang terraria during the mod reloading, then the window closes and a new one opens, but it's still loading just fine. (that's also probably because i'm running it with a couple bigger mods, and my pc isn't exactly a nasa supercomputer) it only crashed my game once when i kept repeatedly enabling the 'save songs' button in the config and then reloading, since i didn't fully read the readme file that should've popped up, and i think just overloaded the game from the amount of times it reloaded in a row haha
I found out that after inserting my songs and reloading, it would still work without ADD YOUR MUSIC toggled, for some reason it would take up all my memory and crash terraria sometimes though.

Would be cooler if you could make it so that a song plays when you're near at least 4 NPCs, kind of like the Town themes in 1.4 Terraria

When my friend joins a server when we both have this mod enabled, with the exact same Your Music folder contents and identical mod configs, the game prompts him to install the mod when joining, and it gets stuck around 90% on the install bar. any ideas?

Is there any plan on porting this over to tmodloader 1.4?

Mainly asking since there isn’t an easy way to change modded music or set individual boss themes

Last edited:
Is there any plan on porting this over to tmodloader 1.4?

Mainly asking since there isn’t an easy way to change modded music or set individual boss themes
Whoops, two months late.
No plans on porting at the moment as I'm currently busy with other stuff. I'm not even sure if this is possible in 1.4 at all, there are a lot of changes. I may do it sometime in the future if it's simple enough, but no promises. Sorry

The post literally above this:
No plans on porting at the moment as I'm currently busy with other stuff. I'm not even sure if this is possible in 1.4 at all, there are a lot of changes. I may do it sometime in the future if it's simple enough, but no promises. Sorry

whenever i get to the point where the music is supposed to play, it displays "Could not determine container type" in the bottom left and mutes.

Back
Top Bottom