Other Blood Moon & Traveling Merchant Regularity

I play Terraria probably more than I should so I know this might not seem like a issue to most.

However, I've noticed on quite a few of my play-through's that Blood Moon's along with the travelling merchant are the most inconsistent parts when doing a play-through. Now I wouldn't mind one bit if it weren't for the money trough or the brick layer as these items, once you get them, make the rest of the play through just so much better in my opinion.

I want every play-through to be different and variable however a lot of times I can completely play through most of the game before I can get either of these items which is frustrating considering there isn't much you can do to negate this seeing as how they are completely random. I wholly get why things like the slime-staff and enchanted swords plus sad pyramids are inconsistent and enjoy that but there are at least things you can do to negate that such as intensely farming slime staffs if you really want that early in the game or generating new worlds if you really want a pyramid. With blood moons and traveling merchants you just have to wait which translates into me playing through the entire game waiting.

My suggestions:

Blood Moons

Now I like Blood Moon's spawn rate and don't really want it to be higher considering it can be annoying sometimes especially if you have them back to back and even in conjunction with solar eclipses in hard mode so I would rather it be fixed another way.

I like how destroying a shadow orb increases the chances a meteor will land. I think it would be interesting if maybe a type of plant could grow in the corruption/crimson much like Plantera's Bulb grows in the jungle. Then whenever you destroy it, it greatly increases the likely-hood of a Blood Moon every night till one happens. You could make them very rare but at least it would give the players something to do if rng is just not in there favor.

Traveling Merchant

much like my idea with the Blood Moons, possibly there could be a ship that spawns that either you have to defeat or pay a certain amount of gold to go retrieve the merchant. Or maybe there could be some beacon that spawns that you either have to consume or feed something into to have to signal the merchant.

I'm not wanting it to be so consistent that you just get what you need within ten minutes and that's that and do want variable in my runs. I just think these could be cool little additions that would at a lot of play and choice into the game and make multiple play-through's more enjoyable and reliant on knowing what you are gonna get with these events.

Last edited:
I really like the blood moon idea. Sometimes RNG isn't in your favor and there isn't anything you can do about it.
As for the traveling merchant idea, It needs much improving. I think the way to make him appear more often should be an item that drops from a monster in the marble biome, but even that could use tweaking.

In the end though, you would need RNG to make your RNG be better. The idea works, but at the same time doesn't

I really like the blood moon idea. Sometimes RNG isn't in your favor and there isn't anything you can do about it.
As for the traveling merchant idea, It needs much improving. I think the way to make him appear more often should be an item that drops from a monster in the marble biome, but even that could use tweaking.

In the end though, you would need RNG to make your RNG be better. The idea works, but at the same time doesn't
i think it should be granite if anything. granite and marble are already wayy unbalanced

I was gonna say I never have a problem getting blood moon items (and it's true), but I actually really like the idea.

Traveling merchant I'm less convinced on. But I bet something could work out

Back
Top Bottom