Bow/repeater progression and Fishron help?

I mostly played Terraria back when Wall of Flesh was the final boss and haven't played in between that and 1.4... with the 1.4 release I got back into the game and have been playing a number of worlds solo and with friends, all in Master except for one solo Expert world I did to get a feel for the new content.

I am post-golem solo for the first time in one of my worlds and really struggling to progress. Every boss up to and including Golem has honestly been more or less easy, but now I'm faced with Betsy, Fishron, or Pillars to progress. I've been playing strictly with Ranged gear, mostly sticking to bows/repeaters, with the exception of the Piranha Gun once I found a jungle key. Trying to avoid bullet/rocket-ammo using weapons, but maybe that's a fool's errand. I'd like to save Pillars/Moon Lord for last, so I'm trying to take down either Betsy or Fishron for their respective bows...not having any luck whatsoever.

At this stage of the game, I have the full T3 Old One's Army armor (the Red Riding Hood set), a Chlorophyte Repeater, Piranha Gun, Frost Hydra Staff, T3 Explosive Trap sentries, and a Xeno Staff. All are reforged for Unreal/Ruthless etc.

I have tried various accessory loadouts maximizing damage, crit, and defense, and I've also tried fighting with only a mount (Black Spot) vs on foot with wings, terraspark, etc. Otherwise, I swap a Charm of Myths on and off as needed when I drink potions.

The full list of accessories I have tried (mixing and matching) is below (all with Warding or Lucky forges):
- Ankh Shield
- Shield of Cthulu
- Frozen Shield
- Star Veil
- Ninja Gear
- Ranger Emblem
- Avenger Emblem
- Destroyer Emblem
- Bone Wings
- Terraspark Boots
- Golem's Eye
- Master Ninja Gear
- Worm Scarf
- Molten Quiver
- Stalker's Quiver
- Magic Quiver
- Putrid Scent

For buffs, I'm running:
- Seafood Dinner (Exquisitely Stuffed)
- Swiftness
- Ironskin
- Regeneration
- Thorns
- Calming (to help prevent Wyverns from interrupting)
- Summoning Potion
- Lifeforce
- Rage
- Wrath
- Inferno

I also have heart lanterns, campfires, slice of cake, ammo box, bewitching table, sunflowers, and a honey pool to jump into.

I also tried Archery potions when using the repeater but found that even with that and holy arrows, the Piranha Gun was doing a better job at DPSing in general.

I won't post the Betsy attempts because they're hardly attempts and more just me dying instantly. I'm not really sure how she works yet and feel like I have a better shot with Fishron.

For Fishron himself, I can get to the final phase reasonably consistently with full or nearly full HP, but then I get instantly obliterated, and all DPS halts. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to dodge this guy, and I'm starting to run low buff potion supplies that I intended to use for last bits of content I have left. At this stage, I'm not sure why these bosses feel so astronomically harder than everything up to and including Golem; I can't help but wonder if I'm running the wrong gear or something? Most of the video "Guides" I see are people squashing him with post moonlord gear, which seems to defeat the purpose of killing this boss pre-moonlord... I don't see anything else to go for though unless I break down and use guns/rocket weapons. Any tips?

Here's a clip of how the Fishron fight is looking for me. I forgot to place the frost hydra staves down in this one, but they'd have been gone by the time final phase started anyway, and I don't imagine I'll be confident re-setting them down at that point without a surefire way to dodge the dashes.

Last edited:
Barely managed to squeak a kill in by staying on the ground more in the third phase and swapping to the repeater. The piranhas were not sticking to him in that phase, but aimed arrows hit him just fine. Seems like being in the air a lot makes his movement too crazy. Now to practice that and farm him for the bow...

Barely managed to squeak a kill in by staying on the ground more in the third phase and swapping to the repeater. The piranhas were not sticking to him in that phase, but aimed arrows hit him just fine. Seems like being in the air a lot makes his movement too crazy. Now to practice that and farm him for the bow...
Good job! Also the asphalt blocks help with movement 100%, and make it easier to move quickly, it’s crafted from gel and stone at a blend O matic

Fishron wings dropped a few kills later, and I managed a hitless (+1 boop) kill with a more offensive loadout. Those make an ENORMOUS difference. Wonder if I should have just looked into new wings sooner

Last edited:
For future terrarians who stumble upon this thread... Another subtle thing that could have helped a ton that I didn't realize at the time is that you can only have 22 active buff/debuff icons at the top left. Pets count against this, and so do localized aura buffs like banners, heart lanterns, etc.

With all the potions I was carrying, only about half of my buffs were being activated with B, and I had no clue...

Back
Top Bottom