Game Mechanics Bring Back Dirt Rod Glitch 2019

LobAutumny

Cultist
Once upon a time, the Dirt Rod had a glitch where if you picked up a dirt block with it and sand was falling into it, the sand would all get collected into the dirt rod projectile and you would have a very strange weapon. This was patched out at some point and it's always disappointed me. It's such a small and petty thing, but it's been bothering me for years. Let me aggressively rub sand in the Eye of Cthulhu until it dies again.

I...Don't think glitches are normally put back in games.
Of course, there was the Hoik. But I'm not actually sure what went down with it to perfectly say what happened.
Of course, there could be some other modder that could maybe do it.
But for now. With the actual game...Maybe it could happen. But I don't truly really think it might.

I...Don't think glitches are normally put back in games.
Of course, there was the Hoik. But I'm not actually sure what went down with it to perfectly say what happened.
Of course, there could be some other modder that could maybe do it.
But for now. With the actual game...Maybe it could happen. But I don't truly really think it might.

Hoiks are kept in because they're useful, don't interfere with regular gameplay, and can't be exploited to break the game or cheat like, say, item duplication can. The devs have specifically stated that they've gone out of their way to keep hoiks in the game. The dirt rod glitch was not dissimilar in theory, though its usefulness was much lower than something like hoiks, since falling sand has a pretty low damage value so you're only really getting a decent earlygame weapon out of it. One that requires a bunch of setup time of building a stack of sand on top of a dirt block every time you want to use it, and has the issue that you need to keep holding left click to keep using it, otherwise you'll drop it and have to do said setup over again. It was just fun to mess around with. Really, the bigger issue is the question of how difficult it would be to program back in, given the fact that Terraria has a notoriously finicky engine.

Hoiks are kept in because they're useful, don't interfere with regular gameplay, and can't be exploited to break the game or cheat like, say, item duplication can. The devs have specifically stated that they've gone out of their way to keep hoiks in the game. The dirt rod glitch was not dissimilar in theory, though its usefulness was much lower than something like hoiks, since falling sand has a pretty low damage value so you're only really getting a decent earlygame weapon out of it. One that requires a bunch of setup time of building a stack of sand on top of a dirt block every time you want to use it, and has the issue that you need to keep holding left click to keep using it, otherwise you'll drop it and have to do said setup over again. It was just fun to mess around with. Really, the bigger issue is the question of how difficult it would be to program back in, given the fact that Terraria has a notoriously finicky engine.

Huh. Interesting.

I would say that....It would depend on just what was changed to remove it in the first place, and what was added upon the change to understand just how hard it would end up being.

I know I'm 4 years late but I also wish this bug was still in the game. The dirt rod is a neat concept, but without this glitch (or a new upgrade) then sadly I have no reason to use it.

Back
Top Bottom