Weapons & Equip Buff the Wand of Sparking

Lord Garak

Retinazer
Problem
The Wand of Sparking is, to put it bluntly, almost completely worthless. As a counterpart to the Spear, it is likely one of the first weapons a player can encounter and should act as an introduction to magic. Unfortunately, it was designed as almost a practical joke, dealing insignificant damage and knockback. While the Spear can shred advanced early-game monsters like Zombies and Mother Slimes, the Wand of Sparking can barely deal with one of lesser enemies, even slimes. Adding Expert Mode into the mix renders it completely inert.

Solution
By leaving the weapon concept the same but increasing the stats, we can create a more rewarding early Mage experience.

Damage increased from 8 to 12
Knockback increased from 0 to 2
Use Time increased from 27 to 32

On Fire! increased from 2 to 4 seconds

Last edited:
Yeah, I recently started a new playthrough using items I normally don't, and forcing myself to use this thing only got me killed. A buff is sorely needed.
I thought it was purely an item for lighting up underground in early game. Is it actually a weapon? That's pretty bad.
I had an easier time finding a stack of torches than I did killing enough slimes with the Wand of Sparking to get the gel for an entire stack of torches.

I don't get it. It IS 8 (eight, 10-2, VIII) RIGHT NOW. Maybe you meant "increase by 8"? But 16 + debuff + lowest cost is going to be too much for the very first weapon.

Yeah, I'd make it free and have 100% chance to inflict debuff instead of 50% chance of doing so, just for stability.

And yes, maybe even 2-3 knockback as you proposed. IMO that'd be too powerful though, and would completely monopolize the early underground exploration weapon slot.

I don't get it. It IS 8 (eight, 10-2, VIII) RIGHT NOW. Maybe you meant "increase by 8"? But 16 + debuff + lowest cost is going to be too much for the very first weapon.

Yeah, I'd make it free and have 100% chance to inflict debuff instead of 50% chance of doing so, just for stability.

And yes, maybe even 2-3 knockback as you proposed. IMO that'd be too powerful though, and would completely monopolize the early underground exploration weapon slot.
Good grief, so it is. I must have been confused because it's obtainable at relatively the same time as the flare gun and it loses damage so quickly against armor. Then I would advocate for about 12-14 damage.

Good grief, so it is. I must have been confused because it's obtainable at relatively the same time as the flare gun and it loses damage so quickly against armor. Then I would advocate for about 12-14 damage.
Ah, k. Well, something shall be done for sure. But plain damage increase is just boring, make it cool, not just another Topaz/Sapphire Staff.

It's the first magic weapon, I don't think it really needs to be cool.
All right, I'll rephrase. Don't make it uncool. Right now it's cool, but kind of useless. Make it remotely useful without making it uncool, do not remove mechanics. We have nice boring gem staffs coming right after.

Back
Top Bottom