Building a Custom World - Avoiding the WoF Glitch?

Hi all,
I hope someone knows an answer to this... or has a theory, at least.

So, I'm making a custom world, somewhat inspired by the famous Minecraft "Skyblock" custom worlds. This adventure map has a lot less Terrain than a normal Terraria map, and is therefore "emptier" than normal.

Right now, I'm getting the WoF glitch when I summon the Wall. Depending on where I summon him, he either spawns with his eyes close to the Surface, or spawns with his eyes close together, but slowly traveling upwards.

The only way I can think to try and fix this is to make hell "more normal," and that's fine, if that's what I need to do. Before I take any drastic measures, though, I figured I'd ask around here to see if anyone knows what usually causes the WoF glitch, and how to avoid it on worlds built from scratch.

Some loose facts that might help...
-This is a small world
-The lava level is about 100 tiles lower than normal, right now
-There are some structures in the Underworld, but overall far less blocks than normal, both above and below where the wall would normally spawn.

I would have posted this in the questions mega-thread, but since it's not really a simple "yes" or "no" and there might be some back and forth, I thought I'd make a new thread. I hope that's okay, thank you for your time.

I worked on various WoF farms recently and in the past, and I've encountered the WoF eyes slowly traveling to the surface back in 1.2.4. That only happened if I was at a certain height in the underworld when dropping the doll into the lava. So long as the doll dropped into the lava below that height the eyes would not travel upwards. I cannot tell you precisely what that cut-off is though. There might not even be a set cut-off, and instead it might be triggered by the player being a certain height relative to the eyes when the WoF spawns.

I've never encountered eyes spawning at the surface. Where were you positioned when the doll hit the lava when that glitch occurred?

Side note: the WoF actually spans the entire height of the world, from space to the underworld.

I'd link the world, but my internet chose just now to go out... excuse my short reply from mobile.

I'm dropping a doll (and getting the WoF eyes at roughly surface glitch) at a Y coord of about 1080, whereas in your WoF farm, you drop it at 1050. I dropped the doll at around 1150 when I got the low eyes moving upwards glitch.

I report back after trying various things, and I'll drop a world file when my internet comes back. Thanks for your quick reply, Joe!

Edit: So, after putting some big chunks of ash where they'd normally be in hell, the fight is more or less working. It goes against the feeling of Skyblock, but it looks like the only solution.

Another snag appears, though... I'm not getting a "the souls of light and dark have been released" message. I am seeing HM enemies after WoF goes down. When I exit the world, Terraria shows me a "setting hard mode" error and soft-locks. I'm guessing this is because the hardmode X needs somewhere to hit?

Edit #2: Internet back, world download for anyone who wants a look. The lefthand side is how the WoF "arena" looked prior to making changes, and the righthand side has walls removes, and ash blocks to "center" the wall. Will make pretty once things are at least functional.

Edit #3: I put a bunch of blocks up where an X normally hits, and that's... definitely happening. I found the new hallow/crimson, respectively. So, Wall is dying, the X is hitting, hard mode enemies are showing up... but no "souls of dark and light" message, and that "Setting Hard Mode" soft-lock still. Really hoping more blocks isn't the answer, because that's really going to kill this concept...

http://www.filedropper.com/isleofvoices22

Last edited:
I'd link the world, but my internet chose just now to go out... excuse my short reply from mobile.

I'm dropping a doll (and getting the WoF eyes at roughly surface glitch) at a Y coord of about 1080, whereas in your WoF farm, you drop it at 1050. I dropped the doll at around 1150 when I got the low eyes moving upwards glitch.

I report back after trying various things, and I'll drop a world file when my internet comes back. Thanks for your quick reply, Joe!

Edit: So, after putting some big chunks of ash where they'd normally be in hell, the fight is more or less working. It goes against the feeling of Skyblock, but it looks like the only solution.

Another snag appears, though... I'm not getting a "the souls of light and dark have been released" message. I am seeing HM enemies after WoF goes down. When I exit the world, Terraria shows me a "setting hard mode" error and soft-locks. I'm guessing this is because the hardmode X needs somewhere to hit?

Edit #2: Internet back, world download for anyone who wants a look. The lefthand side is how the WoF "arena" looked prior to making changes, and the righthand side has walls removes, and ash blocks to "center" the wall. Will make pretty once things are at least functional.

Edit #3: I put a bunch of blocks up where an X normally hits, and that's... definitely happening. I found the new hallow/crimson, respectively. So, Wall is dying, the X is hitting, hard mode enemies are showing up... but no "souls of dark and light" message, and that "Setting Hard Mode" soft-lock still. Really hoping more blocks isn't the answer, because that's really going to kill this concept...

http://www.filedropper.com/isleofvoices22
The Souls of Night and Light message only appears once you beat the WoF for the first time in a world, although if you made the hollowed area and crimoned area underground height and made of stone, than you are golden.

Yeah, WoF is acting very odd in your map. I spawned him on the far left of the world and on of his eyes spawned almost in space. I think the issue is that the WoF expands and contracts the space between his eyes and mouth to try and fill up the space he is in evenly. With no block ceiling, he uses the top of the map.

He also didn't disappear when I (purposefully) died (left the underworld), and I ended up fighting him well above the underworld. He was also missing his 'wall of flesh'
vuGC1Q1.png

This was taken at 147' depth
[DOUBLEPOST=1450444158,1450443421][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I didn't see the 'Ancient spirits' notice after beating him, but when I ported home the area was hallowed. So I think the 'X' does happen (You already said that, I need to read more carefully when I'm tired >_<), but I dunno why the text doesn't show up.

Last edited:
The Souls of Night and Light message only appears once you beat the WoF for the first time in a world, although if you made the hollowed area and crimoned area underground height and made of stone, than you are golden.
Since he's making a custom map I would think he just uses a new backup of the same world every time.

Since he's making a custom map I would think he just uses a new backup of the same world every time.

Yep, I've been using a pre-hardmode map for testing, and have been careful with version control. In tEdit, you can check and un-check things like "WoF down" and "hardmode." Killing the wall in my world results in a brand new V, but no message.

I agree, Bahamut, that the WoF is trying to fill empty space. I'm going to have to make some solid blocks down in hell, similar to a real world, and just incorporate them into the map (aka Hellstone, Wooden Spikes, things the player won't feel too good about jumping on.) The clumps of ash on the right are just for testing purposes.

I can get the WoF under control I think, but the souls message (and softlock on exit) might require just... not a skyblock map. If push comes to shove, I'll release the map with a note about the soft-locking, since I'd rather do that than undo an entire map. In the meantime, if any of you put your thinking caps on and figure out exactly what conditions are needed for the "souls of light and night are released" message, let me know.

Thank you all, by the way, for taking a look at this. You guys are super awesome.
[DOUBLEPOST=1450506390,1450498300][/DOUBLEPOST]Update - it's definitely something wrong with the geography. I copied and pasted the entire world into a new .wld, and still the same issue.

if any of you put your thinking caps on and figure out exactly what conditions are needed for the "souls of light and night are released" message, let me know.
Have you tried creating a world via Terraria and pasting your stuff over it? I created a blank world in TEdit (no changes other than a hellivator and some housing) and didn't get the 'Ancient spirits' message. Might be an issue with TEdit created maps

Have you tried creating a world via Terraria and pasting your stuff over it? I created a blank world in TEdit (no changes other than a hellivator and some housing) and didn't get the 'Ancient spirits' message. Might be an issue with TEdit created maps

Huh, that's odd... (Edit: Nvm, not odd, I thought you said you DID get the message.)

What I did was I created a Small world in the Terraria worldgen (because blank worlds created in tEdit do seem to have their own issues), pasted this map over it (it was slightly off-alignment, but 99% over it) and then fought WoF. No Ancient Spirits message.

What I've done since is copy about 40% of the map, a verticle slice including the righthand-side WoF arena, and fought WoF there. On that map, I got the ancient spirits message, and no soft-lock.

Right now, I'm putting in more land around where the "X" normally hits, to see if that helps. So far, none of the artificial ones have worked, but I've only tried like three, and one of them was made out of candy cane. >_>

Edit: I've put a massive amount of dirt and whatnot back into this world, and no luck... like, almost made it look like a normal world. I'm wondering if natural background walls are part of the key to the ancient spirits message?

Edit #2: The attached image worked (got the message, no soft lock). I previously tried about half as many blocks, which did not work.

Qv8hFe1.jpg

The best solution I can think of right now is to ship this world with a README file and hope that people are okay with a soft-lock after WoF... which is a terrible solution, but marginally better than putting a bunch of blocks in a world about lack of blocks.

In the interest of science, I'm going to keep refining and seeing how little blocks, and where, will suffice. If anyone has any big breakthroughs, let me know. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom