Can I use Garageband instead of Audacity?

avnisharma65123

Terrarian
I have been using Audacity for a while to record music, but the overall interface is always confusing and the sound is not so great. Should I switch over to garageband?

If you have a Mac or iOS device it's free, so why not? It's not a full-featured DAW but it's pretty good considering.

Of course, it's not an either-or proposition. You can certainly use both. They cover different subsets of the music-making / audio-manipulating process.

Audacity is like a multi-track recorder, while Garage Band is more of a DAW (digital audio workstation) — you can use software sample players and synthesizers to create the sounds, not just record external sources.

BTW, sound quality shouldn't be affected by which software you use. You might not be using Audacity, or your audio source(s), correctly. It could be worthwhile to look into improving that, since the skills you learn will apply to just about any audio software.

Enjoy!

Audacity the only good option I found for windows. Even though, Audacity is a great application for editing audio files, my personal favorite would still be Garageband. It offers a much better interface and performance, making the whole process much smooth.

I haven't been able to install Garageband on windows for which I have to use Audacity, so I you are on Mac, surely go for Garageband.
Thanks @eLoSIaND, I will try it. For windows, you can use garageband through VMware. Here is complete guide for that. Cheers!

If you have a Mac or iOS device it's free, so why not? It's not a full-featured DAW but it's pretty good considering.

Of course, it's not an either-or proposition. You can certainly use both. They cover different subsets of the music-making / audio-manipulating process.

Audacity is like a multi-track recorder, while Garage Band is more of a DAW (digital audio workstation) — you can use software sample players and synthesizers to create the sounds, not just record external sources.

BTW, sound quality shouldn't be affected by which software you use. You might not be using Audacity, or your audio source(s), correctly. It could be worthwhile to look into improving that, since the skills you learn will apply to just about any audio software.

Enjoy!

Thanks for explaining everything :) Thanks.

Anyone still wondering, Studio One is an incredible DAW. The biggest limitation of the free version is that third party plugins are disabled, and while the stock plugins are sufficient, there's some really nice ones that come with the Artist and Pro versions. Both of which add a bunch of other functionality, including third-party plugin support. But by all means, try out Prime with whatever you use for input and see what you think.

BTW, if you decide you want Artist, don't bother buying it on their site. Buy something like a Presonus AudioBox 96 and it comes with a free copy of Artist for the same price as just Artist alone, and you are good to go for recording XLR, line, instrument, MIDI, etc., with phantom power support for condenser mikes.

No, I'm not affiliated with them. A couple years ago, we switched our studio over to mostly Studio One and haven't regretted it. Only rarely do we end up opening up one of the other DAWs we own.

Back
Top Bottom