Challenge ideas?

No use of pickaxes. At all. NO picaxes.
Go get yourself some grenades and invite the demolitioner NPC to buy bombs and dynamite. Hardmoe ores? Then go fish your ores. Chlorophyte ores? Nope, sorry. Craft only what you can craft without having to use picaxes or drills.

Throwing only (only bombs/grenades/dynamite to mine) with all throwing weapons and for hardmode I think you can include the Daybreak, Vampire Knives and Shadowflame Knife (maybe Flying Knife) and if that's too hard use boomerangs too.

Flail-only challenge. Actually not that difficult besides struggling to get your first flail.

Spear-only challenge. More difficult than the flail challenge as there is no celestial-tier spear and the North Pole is hard to get.

Dart-only challenge. Extremely difficult. Only use dart-using weapons (blowpipe, blowgun, dart pistol/rifle)

Archmage Challenge. Only use spellbooks (eg. Water Bolt). If there is no Water Bolt then the only other available weapon is the Demon Scythe.

Tools-only. Only use weapons with a tool functionality as weapons. Pickaxes, waraxes, hammers, hamaxes count along with bombs and dynamite.

Alphaphiliac Challenge. Only use weapons (or items) starting with a single letter. So for I could see only using B, C, D, F, G, M, P, R, S and T. Feel free to expand so multi-word items count (e.g. using a Queen Spider Staff in an S challenge) or using multiple letters like W, V, X, Y and Z.

Gravity Globe. Always be flipped upside down.

Boss Drop Challenge. Only use items dropped by bosses. Start off with only a goblin battle standard and fight a goblin invasion to get a harpoon/spiky balls to progress and kill the eye. Invasions count as bosses. The player can also craft boss summoners but that it is it.

Objective for all these challenges: Kill the Moon Lord. May be nearly impossible for the tools-only and dart challenges.

Only use Broken-reforged weapons. You can reforge weapons to Broken.

Take a Teleportation Potion, a Hammer and a Bed (Optionally also some wood for torches and crafting tables) and the spot you teleport into will be your spawn point until at least Hardmode starts. (Only biomes this doesn't work in are Corrupt Chasms, Crimson Chasms and Underground Desert thanks to not being able to build safe housing, depending on how close you are to a background wall-less area. If you end up in any of these, just reshuffle.) If you land in water or honey, you can leave it before building a temporary abode for your new spawn point out of whatever is nearby.

This is actually really fun, I've done it multiple times, only problem is that when Hardmode starts it kind of turns into a normal playthrough, but at least it gives Pre-Hardmode some extra flavor. (I've been sent to the Underworld once, it's doable as long as you don't mind dying constantly at first.)

Why can't you continue using your weird spawn point in hardmode? Is there something particular that makes it totally unworkable?

Why can't you continue using your weird spawn point in hardmode? Is there something particular that makes it totally unworkable?

No, you can keep using your weird spawn point 'til the end of the game, it's just that by Hardmode you get your first wings to cross over the surface world more quickly (Unless you got lucky with Angler.) and probably have already built a hellevator to quickly access aboveground if your new spawn point is underground, so it just turns into more-or-less normal run with just a bit stranger spawn point in my opinion.

Then again, if you want to take the most out of your underground lair you can always build a network of minecart tunnels as an alternative to using surface to travel from biome to biome. :)

Last edited:
Start with gravity globe. Beat the game without ever jumping (no wings either) only thing you can do is switch gravity.
[DOUBLEPOST=1441639942,1441639797][/DOUBLEPOST]
one i've been toying with: the No Pickax Challenge

basically, the goal is to beat the Moon Lord without EVER using a Pickax. I've been researching it and it IS possible.
Just buy a crapton of bombs. I don't see that as being THAT hard, the only hard parts would be no molten gear and go straight to hallowed in hardmode. Lack of chlorophyte could be annoying though...

Wait couldn't you just use a Reaver Shark? It isn't a pickaxe :naughty:

Throwing only (only bombs/grenades/dynamite to mine) with all throwing weapons and for hardmode I think you can include the Daybreak, Vampire Knives and Shadowflame Knife (maybe Flying Knife) and if that's too hard use boomerangs too.

Flail-only challenge. Actually not that difficult besides struggling to get your first flail.

Spear-only challenge. More difficult than the flail challenge as there is no celestial-tier spear and the North Pole is hard to get.

Dart-only challenge. Extremely difficult. Only use dart-using weapons (blowpipe, blowgun, dart pistol/rifle)

Archmage Challenge. Only use spellbooks (eg. Water Bolt). If there is no Water Bolt then the only other available weapon is the Demon Scythe.

Tools-only. Only use weapons with a tool functionality as weapons. Pickaxes, waraxes, hammers, hamaxes count along with bombs and dynamite.

Alphaphiliac Challenge. Only use weapons (or items) starting with a single letter. So for I could see only using B, C, D, F, G, M, P, R, S and T. Feel free to expand so multi-word items count (e.g. using a Queen Spider Staff in an S challenge) or using multiple letters like W, V, X, Y and Z.

Gravity Globe. Always be flipped upside down.

Boss Drop Challenge. Only use items dropped by bosses. Start off with only a goblin battle standard and fight a goblin invasion to get a harpoon/spiky balls to progress and kill the eye. Invasions count as bosses. The player can also craft boss summoners but that it is it.

Objective for all these challenges: Kill the Moon Lord. May be nearly impossible for the tools-only and dart challenges.

Only use Broken-reforged weapons. You can reforge weapons to Broken.
Actually I have tried using a lot of the Dart pistol and Dart Rifle, and I have actually found that they are some of the most powerful weapons in the GAME, especially the Dart Pistol, maxing out at around 1000 dps. Agile is a potent prefix for it.

For Archmage you forgot Book of Skulls.

Start with gravity globe. Beat the game without ever jumping (no wings either) only thing you can do is switch gravity.
[DOUBLEPOST=1441639942,1441639797][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just buy a crapton of bombs. I don't see that as being THAT hard, the only hard parts would be no molten gear and go straight to hallowed in hardmode. Lack of chlorophyte could be annoying though...

Wait couldn't you just use a Reaver Shark? It isn't a pickaxe :naughty:

the point of the "No Pickax" challenge is to make the player think outside the box. which is why i haven't been giving any details on how to do it. There's even a way to get around the Chlorophyte problem, as well as a way to get HM ores without mining.

i got one, go into a hardmode dugeon with pre mech boss gear and get all of the drops from each mob without dieing, ex shadow beam staff, tactcial shotgun, also if you die in the dougean, start all over

-Beat posses in pairs (i.e. EoC and EoW at the same time or Skeletron Prime and Plantera), and only pre-hard mode with pre-hard mode bosses and hard mode with hard mode bosses at the same time.
-No Potions
-Only one weapon, one tool, and one mount for the ENTIRE play through (including hard mode weapons, tools, and mounts)
-No Life Fruits (or life crystals)
-No armor
-Skinny world (through TEdit) (either way, vertically or horizontally)
-No NPCs
-Start in Hardmode
-Objective is to obtain Coin Gun from Pirates
-Objective is to get to Wave 15 of Pumpkin Moon

Back
Top Bottom