PC Concern moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rough Draft

Duke Fishron
So, over the past few days, I've been playing solo on expert mode. While things have been difficult so far, I've found nothing is impossible with the right amount of prep. But looking at some of the threads about the moon lord in particular, I'm concerned. Is he actually legitimately impossible to defeat solo on expert mode without items he drops in normal mode? Is there actually no way that any possible strategy in expert mode could defeat him with one player, including things like very distant teleport loops, actuated trap stacks, and other things used to effectively autofarm previously-'impossible' bosses like duke fishron? My initial instinct is to assume people are just complaining because their usual strategies aren't working, but if he has some method of dealing damage that can't be avoided by instantaneous movement to a point several hundred blocks away, it's possible he may actually be unstoppable solo. If so, I'd like to know before I bother trying.

Go ahead and try. What you do shouldn't be decided by what others do. What you do should be decided by what you WANT to do. Philosophical message out of the way, the Moon Lord will be hard. It's the final boss, it should be hard. You shouldn't be able to beat it in one try, or even 5 tries. Yeah it'll take forever, but it's do-able. Sooner or later a strategy is bound to be made. Maybe by you.

So, over the past few days, I've been playing solo on expert mode. While things have been difficult so far, I've found nothing is impossible with the right amount of prep. But looking at some of the threads about the moon lord in particular, I'm concerned. Is he actually legitimately impossible to defeat solo on expert mode without items he drops in normal mode? Is there actually no way that any possible strategy in expert mode could defeat him with one player, including things like very distant teleport loops, actuated trap stacks, and other things used to effectively autofarm previously-'impossible' bosses like duke fishron? My initial instinct is to assume people are just complaining because their usual strategies aren't working, but if he has some method of dealing damage that can't be avoided by instantaneous movement to a point several hundred blocks away, it's possible he may actually be unstoppable solo. If so, I'd like to know before I bother trying.
While it's hard, it's honestly not as bad as people are saying it is if you know what you are doing and are prepared. Many people neglect preparations like potions for example. Though I have found that being a tank is most efficient.

I wouldn't say impossible, not at all. Very difficult, yes. The main issue you're going to face is that you can't take many hits. He hurts a lot, and pretty consistently too. Lifesteal may prove useful. Having the Fishron or UFO mount will help significantly, as you can kite the Moon Lord around the map and avoid any incoming projectiles fairly easily. He doesn't despawn regardless of where you are on the map either. This means that you can be shooting him as you fly all the way to the ocean, teleport home, heal by using the nurse, and continue the fight.

Impossible? I don't think so. But then, my only experience with him was before the 1.3.0.3 patch, only because going through the steps to spawn him again can be time consuming and frustrating. I've heard the 1.3.0.3 patch made him significantly stronger, or that his leeching ability negates lifesteal, but I'm unsure of that. What I will say is that beating him on expert was very rewarding, but unfortunately it's not something I'd do again, because the risk of failure means having to begin the process of killing the cultists and destroying the pillars once more.

I wasn't able to do much with a mage setup. I came close with full ranger equipment, but it ultimately took a warrior build for me to take him down (this included utilizing Vampire Knives).

Vampire knives healing has been taken away. When he hits you you get a 12 seconds debuff where no life steal works. I killed him twice before it was updated to 1.3.0.3 now I can't get him no matter what I do.

Vampire knives healing has been taken away. When he hits you you get a 12 seconds debuff where no life steal works. I killed him twice before it was updated to 1.3.0.3 now I can't get him no matter what I do.

The ol' Vampire Knives Lifesteal Build is dead. If you don't feel like cheesing the fight with teleports and nurse-heals, what I've found so far is that having a three-layer platform skybridge to run around on during the fight works well enough for an arena. Splatter with campfires and the occasional heart-lantern. Then, you'll have to take a lot of basic buff potions, a Summoner potion, and a Bewitching Table with you. (Even without a summoner build, two extra buffs for the Stardust Dragon is great). The fight should be doable then. Not easy, but doable.

So long as it's possible at all, that's all that matters. Thanks for the encouragement/reassurance. I guess my main fear was that there was some sort of debuff or attack that did damage at an unmanagable rate to any player that's on the map, regardless of projectiles or distance.

It's possible with pre-Pumpkin Moon items, actually. in Expert Mode on 1.3.0.3, Venom Staff and Damage Spectre Headpiece, combined with Butterfly Wings and an Ivy Whip, in an "Arena" that's actually just 5000 blocks of dirt randomly floating in midair. He gets a bit crazy during the fight, but if you know how to Cancel a grapple to extend your range and reset your flight, it's possible to stay in midair forever. you *DO* need buff potions, but it's do-able as a Mage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back