PC Conveyor Belts in an autofarm

DestroyerArcher

The Destroyer
Before 1.3.1, moving 1-tile high items from right to left with hoiks was not simple, if not possible. Now, with the introduction of the conveyor belt, you can use it to move 1-tile items in the hoik more easily, and in both directions the conveyor belt comes in. This addition is not as useful for vertical autofarms, as the conveyor belt does not go up or down and there are already methods to move items upwards or downwards.

You can move items up diagonally with an elevator slope. But the fact that it's diagonal would mean you'd need some fancy designs.

Hah, hoik shaped conveyor belts already!:) So have you compared directly: does this approach move the items much faster than a plain conveyor belt? Are there other advantages to this setup too? (Given that hamming all those blocks is pretty time consuming. :sigh:

Hah, hoik shaped conveyor belts already!:) So have you compared directly: does this approach move the items much faster than a plain conveyor belt? Are there other advantages to this setup too? (Given that hamming all those blocks is pretty time consuming. :sigh:

As the conveyor belt will be actuated for half of the time, the items will be moved a bit slower than if it is just a regular conveyor belt. As for any benefits, it's mostly useful for those clingers that get stuck between the conveyor belt and the ebonstone spawning area, but aside from that I would just use a normal conveyor belt for farming normal cavern mobs. More testing will be required for which one is better.

Last edited:
item conveyor and other things
- conveyors move around 9-10 blocks per second, and do not move npcs (edit: belts can move the regular "housable" npcs, not sure about critters, but i dont think they are affected)
- the whole thing was set up using clockwise moving belts, except for the actuated c-clockwise ones and the belts on the right side of the item escalator
- the inclined right side conveyor had to be made to shoot one block over the first item-landing to avoid larger objects getting caught on it and jamming
- so far as i know, hoiks are the only way to move monsters in a specific way (other than manipulating the AI)

Attachments

• Capture 2016-05-24 14_14_57.png
    Capture 2016-05-24 14_14_57.png
    323.4 KB · Views: 507
  • Capture 2016-05-24 14_15_12.png
    Capture 2016-05-24 14_15_12.png
    311.1 KB · Views: 957
Last edited:
After testing conveyor belts on an ice autofarm, it seems that conveyor belt hoiks are only beneficial if mobs can only spawn on a certain block or if there is a plant-like mob such as a clinger in the biome you are farming in. Hoiks can also move souls if souls land in the hoik, but other than that just use a normal conveyor belt.

Let me disagree here.
Doing some research for this Project: [Showcase] The fastest possible heart generator (statue farm)
I found plenty ways to move hearts by imploring conveyer belts:

Capture 2022-07-31 21_45_57.png

I tested what works best and improved upon it:
Capture 2022-07-31 21_47_07.png

There even are ways to make a heart machine that delivers hearts from three different directions:
Capture 2022-07-31 21_49_54.png

So have you compared directly: does this approach move the items much faster than a plain conveyor belt?
Yes I have and yes it's worth it:
Capture 2022-08-04 20_26_29.png

My results - all in tiles per second (hoik tracks in the picture are just represantations - they need a solid floor and ceiling to function):
Results.gif

For those who wonder how it works and what my process was I've attached two maps:

The "Heart Hoik RND Showcase" is my initial research. Tries out everything I thought of, sees what works and what doesn't and compare's the options.
The "RND How fast is Hoik" is the natural follow up to this. It clocks the times in tiles per second.

- Both maps are interactive experiences, that guide the Player through the hole process and provide all the information necessary.
- I'm doing it this way, cause I know nothing about video

I'm aware, that I published these already in the heart machine thread mentioned above, but I didn't want the last word on this topic to be discouraging. It was a cool concept and it totally works. It just needed some more improvement :happy:.

Have fun.

Capture 2022-08-04 20_30_55.png

Attachments

• Heart Hoik RnD Showcase - Journey.wld
    2.8 MB · Views: 48
  • RND How fast is hoik.wld
    2.8 MB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom