PC Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll' or one of its dependencies.

Pixelnando

Skeletron Prime
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
This issue has happened to my friend and with many more people ever since 2018, but since last year and the release of 1.4, more and more have been having this problem - either knowingly or not. They will try to open Terraria from Steam, which will say the game is "running" for about 4 seconds, before returning to normal, with no signs of Terraria. If you were to check for error messages, using TerrariaServer, you would find the following error message:

Unhandled Exception: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly: 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll' or one of its dependencies. is not a valid Win32 application. (HRESULT exception: 0x800700C1)
in Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)
in Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(String[] args)
1623705935876.png

I've seen posts that claim that reinstalling XNA framework, deleting the config.json file, and even replacing multiple .dlls on the Windows folder can fix it. In some extreme cases, even complete OS hard resets are recommended. Sure, sometimes it can work for some, but most of the time it does not. Quite frankly, even if it were to work, its inconvenient to have to do all of this to be able to play the game, instead of just running it normally. I think it's time the devs take it on their own hands and fix it so we can have less of a headache.

Here's some posts that appear to have the same or similar issues.
The list goes on and on, and these are just the people that reported about it. Some people probably refunded the game because it wouldn't launch.

If you need more info about the problem, tell me. I will supply more images and videos if needed. Thanks!

Figured it out, everyone. My friend just had to delete the config.json file and the game worked fine!
(apparently he said he tried it but he actually hadn't lol)

Hello, i have basically the same issue, except when i open terrariaserver, i dont get an error message, and when i delete config.json it works for one time and then it wont launch again.

Back
Top Bottom