Hot Topic Crossplay

With Crossplay on the rise (likely happening before the close of 2023), I want to look prospectively to what might be available for other platforms (such as Mobile and Console).
If I were to host a server on PC that is running a Mod such as 'Thorium' or 'Calamity', would a Console or Mobile player be able to join. I know those platforms themselves do not currently have the ability to be Modded on their own and its not something in the foreseeable future either, but do we see this as a cheeky workaround for Console/Mobile players to be able to play those Mods without directly doing anything to their game and saves?

The possibility of mods on Console & Mobile isn't entirely 0%. But I will say it is extremely unlikely that Console or Mobile will ever get mods. It is largely due to the amount of hoops involving 3rd parties that would have to happen to make it possible.

A post from Loki here shares more info on why it is extremely unlikely: Terraria State of the Game - October 2022

Crossplay is more within the realm of possibility since it requires each platform for the game to have the same version. Which currently is the case with every platform being up to date with the 1.4.4.9 Update. Because crossplay still requires all platforms to have the same version, it wouldn't work for console/mobile to join a Thorium or Calamity server on PC for example since there's no legitimate way to play mods on console/mobile.

Last edited:
With Crossplay on the rise (likely happening before the close of 2023), I want to look prospectively to what might be available for other platforms (such as Mobile and Console).
If I were to host a server on PC that is running a Mod such as 'Thorium' or 'Calamity', would a Console or Mobile player be able to join. I know those platforms themselves do not currently have the ability to be Modded on their own and its not something in the foreseeable future either, but do we see this as a cheeky workaround for Console/Mobile players to be able to play those Mods without directly doing anything to their game and saves?
I think it's a tad bit of a stretch to say that crossplay will be released prior to the close of 2023, but aside from that, aren't base Terraria & TModLoader two seperate things? Unless the Crossplay feature bleeds over into TModLoader somehow (which I find extremely unlikely), I think Crossplay will only be available to vanilla Terraria.

I have a really nice world that I have on console and I don't wanna start a new playthrough on pc since I spent a lot of time in my console world

All Threads related to Crossplay discussion have been merged into this single thread.

From here on, all discussions regarding crossplay between the different platforms should take place here. :dryadsmile:

I found out that if you host a world on pc/mobile on the same wifi as your xbox, then on your xbox open terraria > go to multiplayer > select a character > while on the screen that looks for hosts switch to youtube > press the home button > press terraria again (might have to spam the button) > go back to YouTube (spam A), > wait for the intro animation to end > switch back to terraria, and it should show the world.

Back
Top Bottom