Weapons & Equip Cumulonimbus Quarterstaff: Sky Biome Chest weapon in Dungeon.

IcecreamBeGood

Terrarian
Sky Keys drop from Hardmode enemies in the Sky Biome rarely. This weapon is found in the Sky Biome chest.

The Cumulonimbus Quarterstaff summons a massive cloud that zaps lightning and drops hail on foes. It's an heavily upgraded form of the Nimbus Rod. The spawned cloud hovers around enemies and zaps/drops hail on them. Enemies are also blown around a bit, and given good knockback.

This weapon deals 58 damage with its lightning attacks, and 40 with its hail. Both attacks are fast and continuous, and are considered alternating. It can effect multiple enemies. The giant cloud will stay on the screen for about as long as the Nimbus Rod. However, only one cloud from this staff can exist. It also cannot pass through walls.

Costs 50 Mana to use.

Last edited:
I assume this is a magic weapon? I don't really dig the idea. I think if we were to add another biome chest magic weapon, it should be a directly attacking one, not another auxiliary/support weapon.

i like the raincloud-type weapons honestly, this sounds really funny.
not being able to pass thru walls post-plantera is kinda lame though, (would be hard to use in enclosed areas) maybe it should be able to pass thru walls?

I'd like to point out that the weapon dealing knockback is a severe downside. Part of what makes the rain weapons so good is that you can set them above you and have it hit all the enemies below you continuously. If they take knockback, they'll get knocked out of range which reduces the overall damage output of the weapon(s), and can potentially make you miss other attacks.

If by "hover around" you mean "tracks", that would also reduce its utility, as it may lock on to a target you don't want it to follow. Imagine it trying to follow around mothron for example.

Finally, being only 1 cloud is another massive downside. Nimbus rod having 2 clouds is a massive deal, as it lets you set them up like "walls" on either side of you, or stack them on top of each other to focus them. Having only 1 cloud means you can only use it in the focused manner, reducing the weapon's flexibility and utility.

I think we can all get behind another rain weapon, but this isn't a good one.

I'd like to point out that the weapon dealing knockback is a severe downside. Part of what makes the rain weapons so good is that you can set them above you and have it hit all the enemies below you continuously. If they take knockback, they'll get knocked out of range which reduces the overall damage output of the weapon(s), and can potentially make you miss other attacks.

If by "hover around" you mean "tracks", that would also reduce its utility, as it may lock on to a target you don't want it to follow. Imagine it trying to follow around mothron for example.

Finally, being only 1 cloud is another massive downside. Nimbus rod having 2 clouds is a massive deal, as it lets you set them up like "walls" on either side of you, or stack them on top of each other to focus them. Having only 1 cloud means you can only use it in the focused manner, reducing the weapon's flexibility and utility.

I think we can all get behind another rain weapon, but this isn't a good one.
Having knockback on a nimbus rod-like weapon isn't a downside, it just changes the use case of the item. Just take a look at the clinger staff, which is effectively just a nimbus rod with knockback. Clinger staff basically walls out grounded enemies and prevents them from reaching you, which nimbus rod can't do.

If it does track it would be more akin to the weather pain than the nimbus rod, but I don't think that functionality is a bad thing per se. However, I think it would be pretty redundant to add yet another support mage weapon to the same stage of the game with rainbow gun and magnet sphere.

I think the idea of a sky-based mage weapon would be pretty cool, but as sammich said it would be a better idea to make it a more direct weapon (maybe something like shooting lightning bolts that chain from enemy to enemy). I'm also not too big of a fan of the name, since it sounds like "nimbus rod" put into a thesaurus (after all, quarterstaves aren't for casting spells, they're for whacking people with).

Having knockback on a nimbus rod-like weapon isn't a downside, it just changes the use case of the item. Just take a look at the clinger staff, which is effectively just a nimbus rod with knockback. Clinger staff basically walls out grounded enemies and prevents them from reaching you, which nimbus rod can't do.

If it does track it would be more akin to the weather pain than the nimbus rod, but I don't think that functionality is a bad thing per se. However, I think it would be pretty redundant to add yet another support mage weapon to the same stage of the game with rainbow gun and magnet sphere.

I think the idea of a sky-based mage weapon would be pretty cool, but as sammich said it would be a better idea to make it a more direct weapon (maybe something like shooting lightning bolts that chain from enemy to enemy). I'm also not too big of a fan of the name, since it sounds like "nimbus rod" put into a thesaurus (after all, quarterstaves aren't for casting spells, they're for whacking people with).
New name: Role Squall

Squall is a sudden burst of wind. It resembles a yellow and blue megaphone that has a sky theme, and has clouds around it. Pun on role call.

Shoots lightning bolts that chain from enemies, like you said, and also rains hail as a second attack, so enemies are hit twice. Hail falls after one second of delay.

It deals like 50 damage for each zap attack, but also 30 damage for hail. This gives it great chain damage.

Back
Top Bottom