Game Mechanics Damage category

Terkaza

Spazmatism
Hi, I've got a really quick suggestion, it's about how damage works. At the moment we have the "amplitude" (a number) and it's type (melee, ranged, magic, summon, throw), the type being used only for modifiers. I thought it was a little too simplistic and it makes you rely too much on the weapons that just deal the highest damage per second or good secondary power. Making runs maybe too close in terms of variety of weapons. Obviously you can challenge yourself by "choosing" only space/laser gun, only boomerangs etc. but for even that is not enough. Terraria has so much content to use. I thought about some "secret passives" for weapons against particular enemies, but figured a way better idea.

Like in a good old rpg, we could add a damage category that deals "[category] melee damage". Simple examples : nature, fairy, holy, fire, water, shadow, evil, alien, poison, frost, venom, mechanical... You know that weapons already inflict debuffs to enemies. It could be a bonus 20% or so damage to enemies sensitive to that category. Fire against ice slimes and bats, shadow against fairies and unicorns or holy against demons and wraiths. yeah it sounds a little pokémon-y to me too. Besides, it would really gives importance to some forgotten weapons. If you add monsters that can resist to some categories it could even indirectly nerf some strong items : Water bolt would be reduced on WoF (evil).

Examples of weapons :

Everything related to Water :
Aqua Scepter
Water Bolt
Sapphire Staff
Nimbus Rod
Bubble Gun
Tempest Staff
Razorblade Typhoon

Everything related to Frost :
Flower of Frost
Frost Staff
Blizzard Staff
Frost Hdra Stff

Everything related to demons and Shadow :
Demon Scth
Amethyst Staff
Shadow Staff
Shadowflame Doll
Unholy Trident

Everything that is a source of Evil :
Book of Skull
Crimson Rod
Life Drain
Medusa Head
Raven Staff
Bat Scepter
Spectre Staff

It is certainly not the final "version" of the mechanic, but I think it could bring a good variation to the game. Tell me anything as long as it respects the guideline and is constructive.

Personally, I think this would be too complicated and would not fit in well with Terraria. Terraria is not enough of an RPG / RTS for elemental damage to fit in well.
It's also really difficult to apply to all of the weapons. Nearly everything listed in your post is a magic weapon, which is only one of the four classes available in Terraria.

Personally, I think this would be too complicated and would not fit in well with Terraria. Terraria is not enough of an RPG / RTS for elemental damage to fit in well.
It's also really difficult to apply to all of the weapons. Nearly everything listed in your post is a magic weapon, which is only one of the four classes available in Terraria.

I surely have the time to do that. Also you can simply say trhat every standard ore or wood weapon deals "normal" damage.
It's a really simple "hidden" buff, not a big rework or adding effects. I thought of it as way to multiply the paths to take.

Back
Top Bottom